The stock seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put 7k on the stock seat last year, but with the type of long distance riding I want to do this next year I decided it was time to upgrade to a Russell Day Long (RDL) . My hope is that with the RDL I can do several 1k mile days.

150 mi as a sorta long trip? That doesn't even force a gas stop. The longest I've managed to date on a '17 ES in '18 is ~300 miles, with a break at about ~150 miles. I'm mixed on the saddle but didn't dread getting back on the back to finish the loop. Shortly after that I was grounded by a broken thumb (bicycles is de debil!). Three months later, when I was pronounced "as healed as you'll ever be" I headed for AZ on four wheels, flew back east just in time to fly to Germany and return 2 Jan. The weather here (Phila. outer 'burbs) has turned nasty cold (22 last night) and teens due soon. In short, grounded since August(!!!) and possibly until mid-March(!!!!) by WX and a month of phase two of AZ trip. So why is this here? By way of saying, having done one not so short trip, it''s going to be interesting to see how the seat feels compared to my memories of the 300 mile trip.

50-100 miles between stops?? How do you get anywhere? Stop with the coffee! You never buy coffee, just rent it. (Beer, too, for that matter). Or at least go with Depends and take a shower.

(Temps - it's not the cold that grounds me. I have heated gear. It's the idea of finding ice on the road the hard way. 40-ish about my lower limit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Different strokes for different folks, live and let live, ride and let ride, to each his own.

Pull your panties out of the wad, it's "his" bike and "he" can do with it as he pleases. So he doesn't ride like you do, so what, that doesn't make you God of Seat, Asshat.

Heated Laam seats arriving in a week.
Wait...you live in Atlanta
It gets cold here, pal. In the low 50s today, brrrrrr!

(I also ride outside of Atlanta.
coolsmiley02.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
After several years of riding the stock seat on my 2005, last year I ordered a Laam. I am very pleased with the communication and turn around time for the seat. I don't have much of my own padding on this boney ass of mine and the Laam distributes my weight in a much more comfortable way. Laam asked for my weight, hight told me to send a photo of me sitting on the bike; and then he called and discussed how far up of back I sit. I was going to make a seat for my wife but when Laam asked me for my wife's weight it was at that point I decided it was not worth having one made for her. She does not ride that much anyway. So he just reupholstered the rear seat to match mine.

It is great to have several good choices of custom seats for the FJR.

Interesting how seat comfort is perceived. For those who have no issues with the stock seat I question how long they ride between dismounts. I had the stock seat for the first year on my 2014 and used an AirHawk on road trips. That was adequate but raised my seated height. I now have a Laam seat that I bought from a Forum member. The Laam seat gave me great comfort on 500 mile days. More recently I contacted Seth at Laam Seats and made an appt. to have him customize the seat to my weight and height. Apparently the seat was originally made for a guy over 200lbs. Seth showed me his notes on the underside of the cover.

Just returned from a six day ride to Arizona to ride the loops north, east, and west of Phoenix. Longest day was 510 miles and absolutely no seat discomfort.

Every ass is different, I guess. I'm no long-distance wannabe, but I've done at least a half-dozen 700+ mile days, and one 940 mile day. Other than standing on the pegs once in a while (just as much for my knees as for my backside), I can go as far as I need in a day with the stock seat. It's not perfect. I still think it would be if the foam was 30% more dense. Tried an Airhawk (my wife likes it when she goes along) and hated it. Yes, I tried different air pressures, but hated the added motion.

To ass his own.