The Ultimate Tank Bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After researching last winter, that's where I ended up. Was about double my second place contender in price. Still haven't received. She says she's close, so plan on waiting 90 days if you go custom. Mine will have a luggage mounted SAE connector on the inside as well as a nearly waterproof cable passthrough. Others have posted some nice pictures and such. I do like the bra with panniers setup. Will post more when I get it.
Are these bags actually waterproof? Or do you have to put a cover over them? I read through her website and cannot tell for sure.

Thanks in advance
Generic Tankbag to your specifications

Suitable on most sport touring/standard bikes such as BMW, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Moto Guzzi, Triumph and Harley-Davidsons without a center console Standard Features:Water Resistant Exterior Zippers

1 Large or 2 small Lid mounted interior flat pockets

3 exterior 3DBasic Pocketss (one on either side and one closest to the rider)

Handle made from nylon webbing

No scratch neoprene padding on the surface that contacts the bike

Standard Rain cover

Map pocket made with a water resistant zipper

Mounts with strap around the steering head and straps going under the seat

Choice of high or low contrast logos

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these bags actually waterproof? Or do you have to put a cover over them? I read through her website and cannot tell for sure.
There's no such thing! *

Yeah, that's what I'm finding. And that's what I don't quite get. I mean, it's not like they don't know that your gonna ride with this thing in the rain, right? Why not just make them with Marine Grade Vinyl or something like that? Or is it just having the zippered lids that kills the waterproof integrity? :unsure:

I'm quite satisfied with this tank bag. Trial QLfrom Bags Connection. Comes with water proof cover that I haven't used.

IMG-20120609-00030.jpg

My bars are stock and in full back position and I think if you had an aftermarket riser with any kind of set back, you could run into clearance issues at full turn.

I have no experience with this bag, but it looks interesting. https://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=48137

PACSAFE-TANKSAFE-Anti-Theft-Tank-Bag-25L.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hl-Tdo4cy8&list=HL1342563091&feature=mh_lolz

Another alternative: Except for the "secure" requirement, I really like the Rapid Transit Stack https://www.rapid-transit.com/Products/Stack.htm, though I'm seriously thinking I'll pick up the smaller Rapid Transit Recon 19 https://www.rapid-transit.com/Products/Recon19.htm, which appears to just be the top portion of the Stack case.

i have the rapid 19

https://www.rapid-transit.com/Products/Recon19.htm

love it... they have changed the design i believe but perhaps it's even better...

the rain cover works, pulls out of a front pocket and cinches over the bag, one hand, on the fly. its attached to the front of the bag.

stuff will get damp if no cover is used, but the spray on treatments mentioned above should help that...

TX direct or similar

the size is exactly right and will hold the things you wish for.

it does not lock onto the bike however...

Why not just make them with Marine Grade Vinyl or something like that? Or is it just having the zippered lids that kills the waterproof integrity? :unsure:
It's the sewing and seam part...not so much the materials part. Take a look at a LindaT and see the best in the business.

If you think you can do better than here.....you should go into business and make some money. ;)

i have the rapid 19

https://www.rapid-transit.com/Products/Recon19.htm

love it... they have changed the design i believe but perhaps it's even better...

the rain cover works, pulls out of a front pocket and cinches over the bag, one hand, on the fly. its attached to the front of the bag.

stuff will get damp if no cover is used, but the spray on treatments mentioned above should help that...

TX direct or similar

the size is exactly right and will hold the things you wish for.

it does not lock onto the bike however...
I have it too. It's a good size, I bought the optional water bladder (similar to Camelbak) ich is great, and the rain cover is, indeed, easy to pull into place on the go.

I have only two minor complaints: 1) the rubberized backing that protects the tank from the magnets leaves a grimy smudge behind. 2) the bars hit the bag at full lock but I do have them raised and further back.

All in all in happy enough with the bag.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. And yeah, Iggy, the thought of building my own better mousetrap has entered my mind. ;)

Still looking at what's already out there, how about the Cortech Dryver Tang Bags? Anyone have any experience with them? They claim to be waterproof, have their own proprietary tank ring mount, and are molded so they retain their shape empty. Of significance is that, unlike the Bags Connection system, the Cortech Dryver tank ring hardware can apparently be bought separately. So if someone were looking to easily mount a hard case (Pelican or the like) this would appear to be an easy way to go/

Or how about the Givi Tanklock series. They are similar to the Cortech Dryver but without any claim of waterproof-ness. They also seem to check a few of my boxes, especially the little TPH-02

On another note, I have found out how the Bags Connection type of mounts can be made to "lock" onto the bike. The rotating mount can be quickly pinned (from inside of the bag) and then the dual zippers pad-locked together. This is enough of a deterrent to keep someone from quickly walking away with the bag, which is all that I'm really looking for. That moves the Bags Connection stuff to the top of the list, IMO, as it is already the most attractive and convenient of the bunch.

On another note, I have found out how the Bags Connection type of mounts can be made to "lock" onto the bike. The rotating mount can be quickly pinned (from inside of the bag) and then the dual zippers pad-locked together. This is enough of a deterrent to keep someone from quickly walking away with the bag, which is all that I'm really looking for. That moves the Bags Connection stuff to the top of the list, IMO, as it is already the most attractive and convenient of the bunch.
you got it.. but they are not in-expensive. and as most haven't found out the Bags Connection Engage tank bag has been revised from what most have posted on this site. My earlier post in this thread shows the revised product.

you got it.. but they are not in-expensive. and as most haven't found out the Bags Connection Engage tank bag has been revised from what most have posted on this site. My earlier post in this thread shows the revised product.
I noticed the different pockets on both front corners, looks like a better setup.

How was it revised?

For those that want another option of a tankbag that locks there is the Tank Locker.

I get the Ziplocks, but what's the 100 mile an hour tape for? Is that the "quick release attachment system?" :rolleyes:

PS - You should change your sig line to say: Scott (Cheapskate, VA) :p

Has anyone tried the Kriega stuff? They claim to be 100% waterproof and they have an interesting design for clipping multiple packs together. For use as a tank bag you will need an adaptor to mount over the tank.

Seems pretty interesting, but I have not personally pulled the trigger on purchasing any of their stuff.....

https://www.kriega.us/products/

Has anyone tried the Kriega stuff? They claim to be 100% waterproof and they have an interesting design for clipping multiple packs together. For use as a tank bag you will need an adaptor to mount over the tank.

Seems pretty interesting, but I have not personally pulled the trigger on purchasing any of their stuff.....

https://www.kriega.us/products/

I use a Kriega R25 and its the best rucksack I've ever used on a bike, almost indestructible (I'm very hard on rucksacks) and very comfortable . Didn't think they did a tank bag but having looked at the link you posted their smaller bags can be made to work :)

I get the Ziplocks, but what's the 100 mile an hour tape for? Is that the "quick release attachment system?" :rolleyes:

PS - You should change your sig line to say: Scott (Cheapskate, VA) :p
Cheap?!? Take a look; those are the double zipper kind! :p As for the tape, you need a way to hold it on, don't you?

Take a look at Seattle Sports gear. You might be able to come up with something using one of their bags.

Evolution Reign Backpack

Parabolic Deck Bag

Crossfire Sportman's Deck Bag

Or try a waterproof backpack -

The North Face Waterproof Daypack

30 Ltr Waterproof Pro-Sport Backpack

OK, so following up here... I'm sure that this is not the "ultimate" tank bag, but here is what I settled for:

Bags Connection EVO Daypack II

Received the bag and mount today and of course I couldn't wait to fit it to the bike.

100_3557.jpg

100_3558.jpg

As you can see, I have opted to retain my Bagster full tank cover, at least for the timne being, as it does help insulate my legs and "the boys" from the hot gas tank when the fuel level gets low. The Bags Connection tank ring fits inside the hole of the Bagster with just a bit of stretching. I think it looks OK, but aesthetics aren't my forte.

Installed my power support system and Starcom1into the new bag and ran all of the appropriate wires to the GPS and radar detector. The Daypack has two channels on either side of the floor of the main compartment (when the bag isn't expanded), perfect for stuffing wire bundles into.

100_3563.jpg

100_3562.jpg

I used the front cable port for the power in, and the audio in and out cables to the GPS and RD

100_3560.jpg

And the back port for the cables out to our headsets.

100_3561.jpg

There is a zippered mesh pocket on the back side of the lid, perfect for the Starcom unit and a garage door opener

100_3564.jpg

And there is enough room left to carry all the crap I regularly carry in a tank bag, but not a camera. If I'll be doing that I'll have to either expand this bag or get a bigger one.

100_3565.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with the quality of the SW Motech / Bags Connection bag system. It is not fully waterproof, but is water resistant. It does come with a shower-cap type cover that should be easy to install since the bag is up off of the tank surface. The latching system can be locked by installing a pin into the bottom mechanism, through the bottom of the bag, but that will make it a PITA to pop the bag for refueling. So I'd envision that only being used at the end of the day, if I ever decide to leave the bag on the bike overnight.

So the executive summary is: No, there is no "Ultimate" tank bag available (yet). Nothing will do everything that I asked for at the outset. But there a few good choices for bags that will make your life easier, and I think that this is one of them.