The Wave

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buf2phx

Reaction score
OK, I'll start by saying that I've been riding for 14 years. More than some, less than others, I realize that. When I first started, I heard or read somewhere that it was common practice to give a wave to riders you encounter. So I've been doing just that. Aside from the cruiser/HD group, I almost always get a return wave. Just wondering what other people are seeing out on the roads.

Mike

nobody really waves here. A bit in the further islands, but nothing like other countries.

Right hand drive countries typically use the leg wave since the right hand is busy on the throttle.

I generally wave to any rider. To the HDs, I give a pointer finger wave down low, which seems to get more returns. If it's a high traffic day, I might just forgo the practice that day.

In town, if traffic permits AND I recognize somebody. Otherwise, I'd be riding around in traffic one handed all the time waving at a bunch of weekend warriors every 3 seconds.

On the hwy, often.

Always wave at other riders and most wave back. Back when I started riding in the early 70's it was a fist up 'power' salute.

Anyone on two wheels gets a wave/point from me.

Almost always returned by others. Really interesting when meeting a pack of 10 to 15 HDs going the other way, and every one waves back.

Most HD guys get a bum rap IMHO, as those I have encountered have been great folks - just like us.

There are bad apples in every barrel.

biknflyfisher

I wave as often as I remember. Most others wave back, regardless of what they are riding. Sometimes I realize too late that someone passing waved at me and I just missed it because I was paying attention to something else. I figure if I wave and they don't wave back, no big deal, maybe they were looking at something else too. I guess it's just a wave.

I wave if I can, if I'm passing a long line of bikes I'll wave to the first in line etc..

I do not wave across divided highways or roads however...

Most people are good about waving back, even HD crew :)

Sure I wave and most wave back. The only ones that don’t are the weekend warrior HD types that are too-cool going from bar to bar. Most of these guys see you and look the other way.

Jerry

Last edited by a moderator:
I wave if they're wearing a helmet. If they're not, I don't want to be associated with them. Tends to filter out the k00l HD types too.