The Willie F. Dumbass Award Goes To......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist
Reaction score
You people should have stopped me. If DCarver was any kind of person he would have got on a plane from La-La Land at his expense, came to the Great White North and slapped me around before I got started.

It started innocently enough. I was thinking about installing a G2 Throttle Tube for my '06 AE for some time and I had picked up the tube last fall but never got around to the install due to a lack of working space in the garage.

I recently cleared out the snowblower and a few other items and since it's less than two weeks away from Tech Day II in Owosso I thought this would be a good time to get this simple little job done. It's such a simple thing. I've changed grips on the dirt bikes lots of times. Instructions? I don't need no stinkin' instructions.

True to my Polish roots I made every error possible and managed to turn a simple 10 minute job into a full day hair raising adventure.

Being an AE, the bike has factory heated grips. You know what's coming next. I disassemble everything and remove the grip paying absolutely no attention to the orientation of the grip wiring. When I go to install the grip I use my dirt bike grip glue which helps slide the grip onto the tube.

Unfortunately the garage is not really heated and the grip is cold and doesn't want to slide on and the glue it is not as thin and as slippery as it usually is. As a matter of fact it's a big gooey mess. So we clean the mess up with some goo remover and try again. This time I use some dish soap and with some effort I have the grip on the tube.

I then slide the tube onto the bar and something doesn't look right. It's at this point that the horror of my situation strikes me. I have no idea how this came apart. Do I look in the service manual? Do I search the forum for an answer? Hell NO!!! We wing it. Somehow manage to jam all the goodies back inside the throttle housing and give the throttle a twist hoping for the best. The throttle won't even budge. Well isn't this just special. Time to open the service manual but unfortunately Yamaha does not believe anyone would be this stupid and does not go into enough detail to allow a moron to do this task. I did see one photo that did give me a hint as to the error of my ways.

When all else fails, search the forum where I found 11 pages of discussion about everything that you would want to know about installing a G2 throttle tube on a 06 'AE' except the one piece of information that I required. There were lots of warnings about being careful about the orientation of the heated grip wiring. There were warnings about marking the wiring so that you could get the grip back on with the same orientation as it came off. There were warnings about taking photos so you would have a reference. Did any of these smartasses actually post a picture so a dumbass such as myself could have a chance to gracefully recover from our own ineptitude. Not a Chance!!

In the end after some careful reasoning and sheer dumb luck I was able to reassemble the throttle assembly in a manner that allows the throttle to return under it's own return spring power with a satisfying clanking sound against its stop.

The moral of this story???

There is no such thing as a 10 minute job.

As a public service to the next dumbass that comes along I have supplied a few photos that may be of assistance...

I ended up with the wiring fairly close to the yellow line in the photo...

1233412905_Zz7UG-L.jpg

Make sure that the peg in the throttle housing fits into the hole in the bar for proper housing alignment or you will be repeating my story...

1233412738_ds8Hr-L.jpg

1233412506_hp3HZ-L.jpg

I am now going to comsume a jigger of Crown Royal and forget this ever happened. :drinks:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL! Good story.

I feel your pain. Many times at work a simple job like, "Oh, this gear needs a new key" turned into an all-nighter of broken bolts, bad bearing fits, and making new shafts.

Priceless! :rofl: :rofl:

Geez Bill, after reading this I don't feel so bad about my jumpering the sidestand switch as opposed to the wiring to last fall.

I'm not even going to share the story of my almost spending the night in my truck in zero degree temps three weeks ago :headbonk:

Maybe it's a good thing Ray will be here next weekend eh?

Priceless! :rofl: :rofl:

Geez Bill, after reading this I don't feel so bad about my jumpering the sidestand switch as opposed to the wiring to last fall.

I'm not even going to share the story of my almost spending the night in my truck in zero degree temps three weeks ago :headbonk:

Maybe it's a good thing Ray will be here next weekend eh?
Hey Jackass, you forgot to tell the tale Sheila told me at CFR last year: When you drunkenly shit in the bathroom sink and washed your hands in the toilet! Bill, many thanks for the Tech Article.

Wait a sec...

You turned a 10-minute job into an all-day wrenching adventure??

You've been hanging around with me too long. That's how I roll when I wrench on things.

Gee, I thought I was the only one who could bitch-up a job that badly. Glad to have the company! (BTW, I don't even have any "Polish roots!") Seriously though, I always appreciate when someone posts up their painful learnings in an effort to prevent others form doing the same. Thanks a bunch.

Ha! I did one even better. I put my heated grip on with the wire clocked wrong, and it WOULD NOT come back off the G2... so I was tugging and tugging, and the wire ripped right off. So I had to spend $200 Moldavian clams for another grip. Then with the new grip, it wouldn't go back to idle, and yes, I spent another two hours getting things aligned right. My handlebar has TWO holes for pins, so there was double the fun.

Damn, that double cable is irritating. Why the hell is the little plastic spacer that goes in the end of the housing split like that? I finally glued mine together because I don't have 4 hands to hold it all in place at once.

I too added a G2 tube this last winter, but didn't have nearly the problems you did. I don't have heated grips, so that helped a lot. I use hairspray to help the grips slide on. It works just about no matter the temp. I can say it has made the bike a good deal smoother.

Yeah, I had the G2 before the heated grips, and it made the bike so much better in traffic that the time with the stock tube in the heated grips was annoying.

It was definitely a bitch to get the heated grip off the stock tube too. I was really worried about damaging the internal wiring somehow. The heated grip was a lot tighter and stiffer (oh, hush!)

I dont ever want to hear another word about KTM's and falling in rivers Bill! If I can completly submerge a 530 EXC in some Mexican river, and start it up 30 min later....putting on a simple throttle tube should be a walk in the park. :lol:

I think maybe you were a bit to close to some of those freaky Canadian "hydro" lines... :D Maybe!

I dont ever want to hear another word about KTM's and falling in rivers Bill! If I can completly submerge a 530 EXC in some Mexican river, and start it up 30 min later....putting on a simple throttle tube should be a walk in the park. :lol:

I think maybe you were a bit to close to some of those freaky Canadian "hydro" lines... :D Maybe!
Putting on a throttle tube might be pretty easy for most folks but I know a 'Q-Tip' that has trouble bolting on a sprocket...

1105847662_Je2Fi-L.jpg

Most of us don't need to leave a trail of nuts & bolts & leaking gas to find our way back. Then again I never worry about making it back since I ride a trusty Yamaha. :p

How did I miss this story a couple of days ago? That's a good laugh, Bill. I had done this job last year, and with previous experience, I know heated grips must be oriented properly. I had checked mine first.... But, if you get the urge to do this again and forget which way the wires go, just call any Canadian FJR owner for pictures. They all have heated grips....... BTW, I used a little thin strip of RTV as an "anti-rotation" adhesive that hopefully will allow me to get the grip off again when I need to. I pushed it on until it quit about half way, then used a little compressed air for the rest. Worked pretty good with a little fiddlin'. Also, this ain't no 10 minute job..........

honestly, turning a 10 min job into an all day wrenching adventure.....

I only wish I had the luck.....

I love to wrench in my garage all day, just putter about.

Your agony is my nirvana..

FWFE

Go Giants, Beat LA

You people should have stopped me. If DCarver was any kind of person he would have got on a plane from La-La Land at his expense, came to the Great White North and slapped me around before I got started.

I am now going to comsume a jigger of Crown Royal and forget this ever happened. :drinks:
If you had offered a jigger of CR first, I would have hopped a plane to bitch slap you about before you started! I love stories like this - reminds me, of, well, me!