These gas prices are startin to hurt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've worked in the same building in Manchester, NH since 2002. About 3 years ago, in a cosmic coincidence my wife took a job directly across the street from me. I can look almost straight out my office window into her office window :friends: In spite of the close proximity of our jobs we have commuted in two vehicles because our work hours are so different. We are now car pooling even though that means that we pull out of our driveway at 5:45 am and return to that same point no earlier than 7:00 pm. A little different kind of gas pain. We have been somewhat lucky, gas was only $3.45 when we filled this morning.
No offense, I love my wife, but I can't imagine a gas price that would persuade me to commute with her 5 days a week and live with her at the same time :)

If the gas prices climb much more then most of my recreational riding will go by the way side. The bike is my main form of transportation, so I ride it every day anyways. It really sucks that on a beautiful day when you wanna tear ass down the road you think instead of the money it'll cost to fill up the tank during the day. What used to be a negligible expense is now a pretty considerable one for a day of relaxation. Guess I'll start joining the H.O.G. guys and just ride to Hooters and park for the day..............

I have only filled the tank on my diesel pickup about three times in the last year because of the cost of fuel. I went out and bought a Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter to use to run errands around town, run to the store and what-not. I average about 52mpg on the scooter, I can put 4 bags of groceries under the seat, I added a rack on the back to carry that 12-pack home, it zips around the parking lot with ease, it’s the easiest vehicle I’ve ever had to park, I can “smoke” any V-Twin except the M109R and the monthly payment is just a little over what it cost to fill my 42 gallon tank on my truck once and I used to fill my truck every other week. Did I mention the insurance on it is less than I pay to cover my ATV’s? And most importantly, I save the mileage on my ’08 FJR for those long trips along the coast, to the Grand Canyon or other places far beyond the realm of my little city.

I understand next year for 2009, both Yamaha and Honda are introducing a completely new line of scooters. And if you are worried about the Stigma attached to riding a scooter, get-over-it. The Europeans and the Japanese ride more scooters and motorcycles than anyone. But then, their gas has been high for the past 30 years, so I guess they are used to being raped over the cost of a gallon of freedom!

Over this side of the pond the price has just gone past $10 a gallon… . I hope this make you guys feel better.

Over this side of the pond the price has just gone past $10 a gallon… . I hope this make you guys feel better.
Jeebs........... :blink: 10.00 per gallon. at 10.00 per gallon it would take 250.00 to fill my F150.

Gonna have to sell my 03 F150 4 door supercab.........anybody interested?? low miles...only 56,000 on the odo and it only takes 80.00+ at 3.50 to fill.

Like most others already posted, I commute on my bike to and from work most days, and for those ugly days I gots a 88 toyota pick'm up. the F150 says parked most all the time......probably needs a battery. :glare:

Wifee's Honda Accord is a 4 banger, it gets pretty good mileage.

No boats for me, a friend inquired with me Tuesday of this week if I wanted to go out in the gulf fishing this weekend and share fuel...he's got a Contender w/3 300hp Yamaha outboards :eek: .......................................thanks for asking but no thanks.

Yeah but is that $10 US which equals ~$5.07 quid

$10 quid which = ~$19.7 US dollars at the moment..

The former isn't as bad to me, since we seem to over pay for everything we do in the UK. If the later, well that's just messed up.

Edit, I've been told by our someone in our sales office in the UK, they are currently paying a little over 1 Quid per Litre.

So at 3.76 Litres per Gallon at todays exchange rate we're talking about $8 per gallon (Ouch).

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I are both off on wednesdays so we normally go out in the boat.....but at $300 for fuel to cruise around for about 6 hours we now just take the bike and go to lunch. $3.89 at the marina for fuel. Anyone want to buy a Crownline Cruiser?

I've been commuting to client sites on different motorcycles for years.

I could hear some people giggling behind my back when I would show up for an engagement dressed like a Power Ranger.

They ain't giggling these days.

My wife and I are both off on wednesdays so we normally go out in the boat.....but at $300 for fuel to cruise around for about 6 hours we now just take the bike and go to lunch. $3.89 at the marina for fuel. Anyone want to buy a Crownline Cruiser?

We still take the boat out, only now we idle down the shorline a couple of miles. Find a place to swim, open a bottle of wine, little picnic, then idle back home. No more WOT on that thing.

Actually, it doesn't. If [SIZE=14pt]TAXES[/SIZE] are removed from the equation, I think you'll find that GAS is less on your side of the pond than on ours...

Edited previously composed material as political...

If the gas prices climb much more then most of my recreational riding will go by the way side. The bike is my main form of transportation, so I ride it every day anyways. It really sucks that on a beautiful day when you wanna tear ass down the road you think instead of the money it'll cost to fill up the tank during the day. What used to be a negligible expense is now a pretty considerable one for a day of relaxation. Guess I'll start joining the H.O.G. guys and just ride to Hooters and park for the day..............
I can barely afford to crack a non-alcoholic beer in the garage and sniff my new Pilot Roads, much less go out to eat at Hooters....

Actually, it doesn't. If [SIZE=14pt]TAXES[/SIZE] are removed from the equation, I think you'll find that GAS is less on your side of the pond than on ours...

And even more so if you consider that the minimum wage in the UK is about twice what is here in the states...

I just checked some online gas prices, and they said the overall average in the UK, today, is 111.9 pence per litre. There's 3.78 litres in a gallon, so that equals 423 pence per gallon. So that's 4.23 GBP per gallon.

Now, lets imagine that you are a struggling, 18 year old waiter/waitress making minimum wage. In the UK, you'd be making £5.52, meaning you would need to work for .77 hours to make enough money to buy 1 gallon of fuel. In the US, the minimum wage for a waiter/waitress is $2.13, so you'd be working 1.83 hours to buy that same gallon of gas...

I can understand why someone in that position would be complaining about the price of gas, if you live 10 miles from work, you'd have to work at least a 2 hour shift just to make sure you break even on gas getting to work!

I really feel bad for the delivery drivers these days, I'm sure there are plenty of nights when the tips don't cover the costs of gas. I don't think there is any place left in town that provides fuel for their drivers...

And even more so if you consider that the minimum wage in the UK is about twice what is here in the states...

I just checked some online gas prices, and they said the overall average in the UK, today, is 111.9 pence per litre. There's 3.78 litres in a gallon, so that equals 423 pence per gallon. So that's 4.23 GBP per gallon.

Now, lets imagine that you are a struggling, 18 year old waiter/waitress making minimum wage. In the UK, you'd be making £5.52, meaning you would need to work for .77 hours to make enough money to buy 1 gallon of fuel. In the US, the minimum wage for a waiter/waitress is $2.13, so you'd be working 1.83 hours to buy that same gallon of gas...

I can understand why someone in that position would be complaining about the price of gas, if you live 10 miles from work, you'd have to work at least a 2 hour shift just to make sure you break even on gas getting to work!

I really feel bad for the delivery drivers these days, I'm sure there are plenty of nights when the tips don't cover the costs of gas. I don't think there is any place left in town that provides fuel for their drivers...

.. Unless you're an 18 year-old Hooters waitress, in which case you'd need to work about .007 hours for that gallon! :D

<Snip>

.. Unless you're an 18 year-old Hooters waitress, in which case you'd need to work about .007 hours for that gallon! :D
Exactly, waitress/waiter minimum wage isn't the number to use in this calculation becasue it's not representative of the tips involved which is where the bulk of the income comes from.

In Ohio those rates are: [SIZE=10pt]All Employers: Non-tipped employees $7.00; tipped employees $3.50[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm commuting on my little Ninja, sixteen miles each way, five days a week. When I got to work yesterday, the security guy asked me about gas mileage. Since I don't like not having a fuel gauge, I just fill the bike once a week, before the low fuel light even comes on. This week it took........ (drum roll please)........ 2.1 gallons.

In addition, I get to use the new, designated motorcycle parking at work, and I have the option of sharing lanes on the way home.

Looking like a Power Ranger isn't all that bad, is it?

Jill

No, not especially. It makes me feel bad for UK drivers as well as myself. Thanks, thanks a lot. I was happier when I was ignorant.