"This" close to going with a tinted shorty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auron

FJRForums' Red-headed stepchild
Reaction score
Feel like I'm fighting a fight I can't win. I thought the stock screen with an MRA was perfect, but after a 4K trip it seems all the tall screen does is aim the air right at my face an it's very noisy. What can I expect if I just get the shortest screen available?

You will love it! I sure have. I bought the shortest I could find which was a Cee Bailey 13" for my last '07. Good, smooth air at your head. No buffeting from a shield hitting you at eye level!

For most of the year, I stick with the stock screen. For me, with the stock screen, my head is in clean air. I have a cee baily with a flip that will get the air almost completely over my helmet in the upright position when it's cold.

you can expect your neck and shoulders to get tired from being pushed back by all that clean flow of air.

I have a dark tinted shorty for my '05 and it is nice in the summertime. But it can wear out your neck and shoulders..

The calsci tinted shorty is my most of the time shield anymore. But I like it better with the spacers that angle it back 10 to 15 degrees. Most readily available is the Rifle tuning block. I got mine from Skyway which is now defunkt and not well liked here by many. Basically a couple of 20 mm thick washers with longer screws that fit between the actuator and the w frame. In the colder seasons, I go to a calsci medium. Good luck

I installed the CalSci tinted shorty a couple of months ago and recently returned from a 5700 mile trip with it...I love it! I have a V-Stream for the winter, but it was simply too big for the hot, humid summers around here...thus the shorty. The air flow hits me mid chest (I'm 5'11") in the lowest position, feeding air into my suit. It sits much more vertical than stock (I don't have a stock screen, but did a side by side comparison with my buddy's FJR). I get smooth, non-turbulent air flow out of mine without using any spacers. I would say it marginally tires you out a bit more from the constant wind pressure, but that's something I'll gladly trade if it means better cooling for me.

I like the profile it strikes:

IMG_2599-L.jpg

So before I spend any more money, I took a dremel to a Cee bailey +2+0 that I wasn't happy with at all and ended up with this: Couldn't resist adding the MRA. I'll let you know how it works.

IMG_3384_zps85092403.jpg

I have a Cee Baileys -2 H,+3 w/ dark tint, clean air, cooler and quieter.

Last edited by a moderator:
That turnout looks very familiar. Where was that taken? Want to think it's the Coranado Trail in AZ (hwy 191).
That's along CO92 and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.
Very cool turnout...was there in 08.
92 is the best road we have in Colorado. Takes me a whole day to get there and back but it's worth it.
One of the coolest. My fav is still 149 though. :) - whereabouts in CO are you located?

Back on topic.. nice work on trimming that screen. Looking forward to the follow up report.

I'm in Denver.

I'm not thrilled about the way it looks so it will have to work pretty well to keep this setup. I just realized the calsci tinted shorty is no shorter than stock. Anyone make another short screen option?

Interesting. If you could do it over again, would you have done anything different? Even shorter CB or narrower maybe?

Your wave rotors are sick btw

Interesting. If you could do it over again, would you have done anything different? Even shorter CB or narrower maybe?
Your wave rotors are sick btw
I would have gone 1" narrower, It would have a more tapered look at the top, I would not go shorter due to the shelf and GPS coverage. Here is another shot from the rider view.

IMG_4002.JPG

The calsci tinted shorty is my most of the time shield anymore. But I like it better with the spacers that angle it back 10 to 15 degrees.
Me too .. but I switch to the VStream in the cold.

I just realized the calsci tinted shorty is no shorter than stock. Anyone make another short screen option?
It is, but it flows air much smoother.