"This" close to going with a tinted shorty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The calsci tinted shorty is my most of the time shield anymore. But I like it better with the spacers that angle it back 10 to 15 degrees.
Me too .. but I switch to the VStream in the cold.

I just realized the calsci tinted shorty is no shorter than stock. Anyone make another short screen option?
It is, but it flows air much smoother.
And I think it looks really good on the bike.

So can someone tell me about the spacers? Mine seems like it could really benefit from them as it is right now. Could I throw in something just to experiment?

So can someone tell me about the spacers? Mine seems like it could really benefit from them as it is right now. Could I throw in something just to experiment?
Yea, you could get a couple of longer screws that hold the w frame to the actuator bar and stack about 5/8 to 3/4 worth of washers between the two and try that.

I think you are out of luck on your 09 because the windshield arms were redesigned in 08 (I think) to reduce play in the windshield. Hopefully someone can confirm what year the cutoff is for spacers? The spacers definitely work for 07's because I have some home made spacers (stack of washers glued together) installed on mine.

Just took it out for a bit. I really have no opinion. I had a headwind up the highway and a tailwind back home. Personally, I think you get what you get with a big fairing. I'll probably get the tinted shorty cause it looks so good and live with it.

I think you are out of luck on your 09 because the windshield arms were redesigned in 08 (I think) to reduce play in the windshield. Hopefully someone can confirm what year the cutoff is for spacers? The spacers definitely work for 07's because I have some home made spacers (stack of washers glued together) installed on mine.
I think you're right Harald, my 09 has the redesigned arms. I considered spacers until I discovered they wouldn't work. Taking a closer look at Rifle now...

--G

How tall are you guys that are using and liking the shorty shields? I'm just curious, because I'm 6'7" and the stocker works well for me for the riding I've done so far on the bike. All the way down the air hits me right in the chest and it doesn't seem too noisy but my head is sticking up higher than many people's and I'm coming from a naked bike where I had no wind protection hardly at all (except a little fly screen I installed to cut down on the wind pressure on my chest). All the way up it hits me in visor/forehead.

How tall are you guys that are using and liking the shorty shields? I'm just curious, because I'm 6'7" and the stocker works well for me for the riding I've done so far on the bike.
I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam. The stock shield was fine if it was all the way down. Decent airflow and no buffeting. The problem came when I raised the shield when I wanted to be in a pocket of still air. Raising the shield results in too much buffeting.

Because we don't get a lot of hot weather and the norm is cooler/rainy, I went with bigger shields that block wind/rain without buffeting. The Cee Bailey +2 high with flip, stock width shield provides the still air and yet still gives some airflow for summer use. The Vstream gets put on for winter use, but blocks too much air for summer use.

Because the stock shield was useless for me, I cut a few inches off the top of it and occasionally run it when temps get really hot. I get lots of air on chest and helmet with this shield and don't even bother raising it because when it's that hot I don't want to block any cooling air.

My brother used to live in Bonney Lake. He moved to Kent not too many years ago. He just came down for a couple of weeks and was explaining their idea of "hot" to me (anything above 80) and that there are many who claim some days as being "too bright" (which was a new one to me).

We're always glad for his visits because he brings cool fronts and rain with him. It was only in the mid 90s while he was here. Since he's left the heat index has been around 108.

As you might expect, I have 2 windshields. The OEM 2003 is shorter than following years' OEM shield, so it's my summer screen. The OEM "touring" shield is my winter screen. Full faired bikes are hot when it's summer around these parts but then so is any bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I could do it again, I wouldn't have cut 7 inches off that +0 H CB. Maybe go down 2 or three ata time. Going to try the shorty, maybe in clear since I'm not sure how good that offset color would look on my AE. Looks amazing on Silver and Black, maybe not so much on mine.

Feel like I'm fighting a fight I can't win. I thought the stock screen with an MRA was perfect, but after a 4K trip it seems all the tall screen does is aim the air right at my face an it's very noisy. What can I expect if I just get the shortest screen available?
I have had a Cal-Sci medium for seven years and I like the clean flow of air, but I want the tinted shorty. I always keep my screen in the lowest position because I like the flow of air around my head and shoulders. Heck, it's a motorcycle not a car!

I'm thinking the shorty might not be such a good idea. Cutting that CB down did nothing for me. It's also not the turbulence I have as much of an issue with as the noise. So maybe I'll go with a Rifle or something and go tall. I have really narrow shoulders and thing a wider screen is just going to add turbulence and you can't get a Calsci to be taller than stock without going wider. So I'm thinking a custom Rifle might be the way to go, taller but and narrow as stock?

Last edited by a moderator:
Noise is addressed with ear plugs. Your hearing is precious. Don't let it go unprotected like so many of us olde pharts did.

I haven't ridden without listening to music in 15 years I've been riding. It's more of an issue of not having to turn up the volume too high on so the earbuds that still block significant amounts of noise

My brother used to live in Bonney Lake. He moved to Kent not too many years ago. He just came down for a couple of weeks and was explaining their idea of "hot" to me (anything above 80) and that there are many who claim some days as being "too bright" (which was a new one to me).
I did the opposite move a few years back. And yes, most of the year we cringe when the sun comes out and complain about "that bright thing in the sky!"
wink.png

I haven't ridden without listening to music in 15 years I've been riding. It's more of an issue of not having to turn up the volume too high on so the earbuds that still block significant amounts of noise
I've got a minimalist shorty (like riding without a shield at all) and it is still too noisy. No buffeting ... and lots of cooling air on hot days ... but still far too noisy to ride without some that blocks significant amounts of noise.

What are you using for ear buds, and how many NRR's are they rated for?