"This" close to going with a tinted shorty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless there is some super helmet out there that is very quiet with the wind whistling past at 80 mph, I don't see how you could listen to music at non damaging levels on the highway without being behind a large shield.

Foam ear plugs are a MUST with my CB shorty at highway speeds despite smooth air flow, but not with my CB + 4 x 2 "winter" shield.

Unless there is some super helmet out there that is very quiet with the wind whistling past at 80 mph,
I concur. I've tried a number of helmets, and even the relatively quiet Bell RS-1 is still too noisy. Behind my giant V-Stream, I could get by without earplugs on short rides, but it is still too fatiguing on long trips.

I would recommend finding a shield based not on less noise, but minimal buffeting and sufficient airflow. Then add earbuds that REALLY block windnoise, such as Etymotic MC-5's or a set of custom ones like Westone's CR1.

Unless there is some super helmet out there that is very quiet with the wind whistling past at 80 mph,
I concur. I've tried a number of helmets, and even the relatively quiet Bell RS-1 is still too noisy. Behind my giant V-Stream, I could get by without earplugs on short rides, but it is still too fatiguing on long trips.

I would recommend finding a shield based not on less noise, but minimal buffeting and sufficient airflow. Then add earbuds that REALLY block windnoise, such as Etymotic MC-5's or a set of custom ones like Westone's CR1.
+1 on the Westones. Have been riding with the Etymotics for years and this year ponied up for the customs. Much more comfortable for long days in the saddle.