Thoughts on selling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my report. Also cross posted on ADV...

Maggot how did your test ride go on the tenere today.

The ride was awesome.... first I must give a shout out to Dwildt Yamaha in Barrie, and Chris for making the ride happen.

The Yamaha rep from Toronto brought the bike up in his truck, and I helped him unload it. We talked about the bike and his previous bike was an FJR like mine. We shared a lot common ideas about both. The dealer salesman Chris had me sign a waiver, gave me the keys and said "go for a rip, I'm here all day". The Yamaha rep left and said he'd be back on Tuesday.

The bike had bags, an aftermarket, wider, taller Yamaha windshield, and the wing things on each side of the fairing under the shield. Stock otherwise and suspension all soft. Non-ES model and no heated grips.

Easier to get off the stand then the FJR and the seating position is fantastic. I'm 5'9" 30 inseam and could almost flat foot the thing. Seat on high, I'm tip toeing. Handlebars are high and wide, gauges are high up and easy to read. Has what looks like dozens of various setting/options to play with on the screen using the left hand finger switch.

Left the dealer in Touring mode. Shifting in 1st and 2nd felt really clunky and I couldn't stop from nose diving, the bike felt like a dirt bike and I missed 2nd numerous time. Not even close to the FJR's smoothness, so would be lots of helmet banging going on until I got used to the tranny, clutch, and throttle, and stiffened the suspension settings.

Once at speed and cruising in 4th or more, the bike was great. Excellent position, more wind on the arms and shoulders then the FJR, head was clean with the shield in lowest position. This would make a better touring bike for me.

I played with cruise a couple times, just the use of thumb and it takes 3 seconds. This alone is almost enough to own it. Some time on twisty roads and I'd say it handles as good or better then the FJR, certainly feels light in the turns and according to specs it's probably an 80 lb lighter bike.

Going thru some slow 20/30km 90+ degree turns to get to my subdivision, the bike handles much better then the FJR with both bikes in 2nd. Can really lean over the S10 and be confident in doing it.

Bad roads were a breeze and and the bike ate it up pretty well. I enjoyed that. Never went hard on the brakes, but felt near identical as the FJR for the riding I was doing. Nose diving a little, but playing with the suspension would fix that.

Got the bike in the driveway and strapped a box on the back to mimic trunk position. 13 yr old Daughter (who overnight camps with me a lot) sat on the back. Leg position is similar with about a 90 degree bend. She would have more room with the flatter S10 seat, and the distance from my back to the trunk is further. Seat height difference from rider/ passenger are similar.

This would be a better passenger bike I think.

Played with the luggage, and I'd rather have other cases. Yamaha's double honeycombed bags are finickey to use and looks like weak plastic tabs to mount. I rather they kept them and give the buyer 1400 bucks back.

Wife liked the bike, and said buy it if you want..... hmmmm..

Swapped to S sport mode leaving the driveway. Wow, different bike!!!! Not sure what happens with just of a button touch, but felt like it gained 400ccs.

Still couldn't get away from the clunky, dirt bike sound and shifting. Still nose diving and missing 2nd... :baldy

This bothered my the whole ride and I never did make a smooth transition coming to a stop, turning and accellerating.

Again, once up to speed, very nice. Hit 86 kmph in 1st, so while not near FJR's performance, it has plenty of power. I was in 4th and 5th on roads i'm hanging in 3rd on the Feeg, and things aren't happening nearly as quickly when twisting the throttle. Having said that, I wouldn't have lost my licence in Michigan a few weeks back if I owned this thing. And it would have been a better bike for the trek, IMO.

It's a different bike of course, better for me in a lot of ways. Getting past the clunky shifting, engine noise, and reduce power is tough, and why I didn't buy it when I got back.

My last bike, a CBF 1000, (an inline 4) with similar specs and weight as the S10, so I was expecting similar power. Which wouldn't be much different to the power/weight ratio of the Feeg.

So while similar on paper, I was a little disappointed from that respect.

In the end, it's about 8k more than my 07 FJR is worth. It would be a better bike for me for what I want out of a motorcycle, but not 8k better.....

Last edited by a moderator: