Throttle Return Spring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with all that, Duff...... Perhaps a couple more clarifications from my point of view. First, I seem to think I read a post somewhere the throttle spring may have been changed in '08, perhaps owners of '08+ could confirm. I know my '07 was definitely too stiff and causing wrist pain in a short time.

I do have a G2 throttle tube, and the throttle snaps back just fine with ignition off. Where mine hesitates to return is at cruising speeds, but it will return. I am not afraid anything bad is going to happen, such as unintended WOT acceleration or stuck throttle. I can assist it if need be with almost no effort, and it works because it has a return cable. I suspect the air rushing into the throttle bodies at partial throttle keeps them from returning immediately.

Finally, I would not recommend "living with" a throttle that is not 100% confidence-inspiring. If you are no longer comfortable with the reaction of your throttle, fix it.
I think that's the most important consideration.

Me personally, I like the reduced effort with the spring unwind on my 07 and am not at all concerned about the slower return to idle at speed. My spring looks exactly like the photo in a previous post - ie: the spring is not completely hooked on the tang. Been working fine for the last 40,000 miles. :yahoo:

When I did the un-wind procedure on my 04, the spring went around once and caught however it didn't actually touch the "catch" until maybe 1/4 throtte. The throttle still shut on its own, even with a Throttle Meister(properly adjusted).

I've also done 2 un-winds on an 07 and an 05. Both released one rotation and re-caught.

with proper tension

10:30am, Update, I just finished putting one wind on the above mentioned (center) spring using the "plastic wire tie procedure". It took about a half hour but the spring is back on (one loop) without the 1/4 turn slack. Obviously a little bit harder but it closes solidly...

Thank you for the tip, it works great should your throttle return become too loose (due to too many un-winds...)..

Last edited by a moderator:
I unwound the spring on my 06 and couldn't be more happy. In fact the spring wasn't touching the tab that holds it and it still had sufficient tension to return on its own. Prior to doing this mod, I removed the grip and dripped oil down the cables and worked them back and forth to lubricate them. I then greased the bar before reinstalling the grip.

I also wrapped the grips with tennis wrap. I have large hands and this works real well for me. I just completed a 3000 km trip around Lake Superior and everything worked real well.

At my age I sorta expect to have one that's a bit limp. In fact a stiff one would be a major suprise. Don't know what I'd do with one of those?

jim