Throttle Rocker/Crampbuster Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a large cramp buster back in 09 and its been on my bike ever since. I've never had any "moments" with it on but you guys are scaring me. Maybe I'm using it differently? I adjust it so I still have to grip and twist the throttle but it gives me a little more leverage. I do notice that if I've adjusted it to give a lot of help on the slab, then I need to readjust it when at a stop. I guess I've just gotten used to doing it.

Anyway, just took it off and tossed it in my tank bag.

Well, since this thread has had a little revival, I'd like to refer back to the first post. It was about a potential problem--something that could happen to users of one of a couple specific products. Something to watch out for. Word to the wise and everything. If you've figured out how to overcome it or you're so used to it that it's not a problem for you (and I'm not speaking to any particular member here), good on ya. Likewise, if you've never forgotten to cancel your turn signals, you don't need to worry about somebody assuming you're making a turn that you're not making and pulling in front of you, but that's a different issue. And hey, guys, I like to stick to just the one issue per thread. Especially a technical one. Like this.

Had one on my ST1100. Bought it 900 miles earlier. I believe it was a contributing factor to my wad-up. Hit a puddle. Lost rear traction. Couldn't roll off fast enough. Wick-wick-whack! Highside and done. I'll use one on the CBR250, but not on a highpower bike again.

I love my crampbuster - just transferred it from my Ducati Monster to the FJR. The issue I'm solving with it is arthritis - I literally cannot hold the throttle open for long stretches, so being able to operate the throttle with my palm is a big deal - as is the Automatic clutch on the AE I just bought. Now my riding isn't limited by the pain and stiffness in my fingers (the heated grips help here too !)

I never had a problem with "inadvertent throttle application" - which would have been a BIG DEAL on the Ducati. Maybe because using my palm is my default, so my reflexes are set up accordingly ..

thank you for the warnings. My jacket sleeve has hung up also and caused accidental acceleration. I have been able to clear in time but these stories illustrate dangers
Just wondering, how are you guys getting your jacket sleeves hung up on these cramp busters, don't you wear gloves that go OVER the jacket sleeves to keep the air out of the jacket??

Another suggestion.....every jacket I have has velcro or some closure on the sleeve to make the sleeve ends snug on the wrist, not loose.

Myself personally have never had a problem with sudden acceleration seems many of you have the buster too high on the grip, I hope nobody is ever seriously hurt!

Last edited by a moderator:
SoCalFJR1300,

Warmer climate riders (like myself) might wear the sleeve cuffs over the (shorty) gloves. We welcome the "breeze up the sleeve" and having the "rain to drain" over the gloves and not in them. I left the velcro cuff closures too loose one time and caught the Crampbuster while parked. No mishaps but I learned to be careful about it.

I didn't review the posts to see what climates or glove/sleeve configuration others were at/using, but that may be the answer for some riders.

SoCalFJR1300,Warmer climate riders (like myself) might wear the sleeve cuffs over the (shorty) gloves. We welcome the "breeze up the sleeve" and having the "rain to drain" over the gloves and not in them. I left the velcro cuff closures too loose one time and caught the Crampbuster while parked. No mishaps but I learned to be careful about it.

I didn't review the posts to see what climates or glove/sleeve configuration others were at/using, but that may be the answer for some riders.
Ah, I see.......it gets pretty hot here where I live in So Cal but I always wear the gloves over the sleeve, just the way I do it.

I wear a part mesh jacket for wind cooling and unlike Florida, we rarely get rain here in So Cal, at least in the Summer.

thank you for the warnings. My jacket sleeve has hung up also and caused accidental acceleration. I have been able to clear in time but these stories illustrate dangers
Just wondering, how are you guys getting your jacket sleeves hung up on these cramp busters, don't you wear gloves that go OVER the jacket sleeves to keep the air out of the jacket??

Another suggestion.....every jacket I have has velcro or some closure on the sleeve to make the sleeve ends snug on the wrist, not loose.

Myself personally have never had a problem with sudden acceleration seems many of you have the buster too high on the grip, I hope nobody is ever seriously hurt!
I was thinking the same thing, Not having something flapping around your wirst seems like an easy fix for something so useful. Cramp busters are constantly effective, anything else is only usable during certain situations but, but what ever works for you guys.