Throttle Tamer?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added the G2 Throttle Tamer last weekend and just had a chance to try it out today. It DID in fact help tame the beast, but doesn't live up to some of the hype IMO. The G2 doesn't actually address the real on/off abruptness issue - that will require a PCIII. However, it does help to you manage it at low speeds maneuvers quite a bit. Overall, still worth $60 and a worthwhile farkle.

The PCIII will be one of my next farkles.

Rick

I added the G2 Throttle Tamer last weekend and just had a chance to try it out today. It DID in fact help tame the beast, but doesn't live up to some of the hype IMO. The G2 doesn't actually address the real on/off abruptness issue - that will require a PCIII. However, it does help to you manage it at low speeds maneuvers quite a bit. Overall, still worth $60 and a worthwhile farkle.
The PCIII will be one of my next farkles.

Rick
My experience exactly. After the free and easy throttle spring unwind, I added the G2 and finally ended up buying the PC-III to finally achieve throttle nirvana. :yahoo:

I had an 07 a few years back and I too had to do the 3 big changes to tame the throttle. I added the G2 tube, PC111, spring unwind, and throttlemeisers (ok 4 changes). The Power commander was key to making it all work like it should. Like a dummy I sold that bike.

I recently purchase a used 08 (thank you coyotedude) and was planning on making all of the same changes to it, but to my surprise, it's all been sorted out. Yamaha re-engineered the throttle cam pully and tweaked the map. I swear, even the throttle tension has been relaxed some. And I also swear the clutch tension is lighter too. The clutch is a mystery to me because Yamaha didn't specifically address this issue until 09. They may have made some other changes that effected clutch pull (I don't know).

I use a throttle rocker (came with the bike) and so far I am not experiencing any right hand fatigue. I may eventually add Heavy Throttlemeisters for the cruise control feature. But the throttle response and control on my 08 is even better than my 07 with all of the prescribed changes. I love this bike. Everything about it is so sweet. And it's stock! Now I will have more time and money to keep the black paint looking good. :yahoo:

Now's the time to order from G2 - They are offering 20% off thru 12/31/09, and free shipping for orders over $50.00. Nice Deal!

Just sprung for a Throttle Tamer, and and a pair of grips while I was at it.

KW

I had an 07 a few years back and I too had to do the 3 big changes to tame the throttle. I added the G2 tube, PC111, spring unwind, and throttlemeisers (ok 4 changes). The Power commander was key to making it all work like it should.
Motorad,

Thanks for the comments! I've told Santa I'm looking for a PCIII for Christmas. Based on everything I've read (and can understand) it seems pretty definitive that the PCIII will tame this thing and make it as close to a carburated chain-drive bike as possibble. This issue with the abruptness is the ONLY thing I don't like about this bike. Coming off an ST1300 that gets a change once a decade or so, I'm really impressed that Yamaha has listened to the riders and fixed this design flaw in the '08 model. It says a lot about the company.

Rick

I had an 07 a few years back and I too had to do the 3 big changes to tame the throttle. I added the G2 tube, PC111, spring unwind, and throttlemeisers (ok 4 changes). The Power commander was key to making it all work like it should.
Motorad,

Thanks for the comments! I've told Santa I'm looking for a PCIII for Christmas. Based on everything I've read (and can understand) it seems pretty definitive that the PCIII will tame this thing and make it as close to a carburated chain-drive bike as possibble. This issue with the abruptness is the ONLY thing I don't like about this bike. Coming off an ST1300 that gets a change once a decade or so, I'm really impressed that Yamaha has listened to the riders and fixed this design flaw in the '08 model. It says a lot about the company.

Rick
Rick,

You may want to consider the new PC-V over the older PC-III. From what I have read there are many technical advantages and it's smaller. Dynojet only advertises the PC-V for the 09 but it will work on your 07. The PC-V will accept PC-III maps. Contact fuelmotousa.com. These guys are the experts and understand what you are facing. They will pre-load a map for you. Once you tame the throttle response you will begin to really enjoy your bike. For additional info read this thread: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/lofiversion/...hp/t121031.html

Rod

Latest posts