Throttlemeister Cruise Control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjwpsu

Reaction score
Any comments or suggestions regarding the Throttlemeister Cruise Control? I've never used one, but am considering the upgrade. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Have one and it is alright. Will ALMOST hold the speed you want, but will eventually slow down. If you have the money to have someone do it for you, or you have the smarts to do it your self, just get the Audiovox CC and be done with it. I just did a 5435 mile trip with the TM and while it helped, it was not really what I needed.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there are some freakin weirdo folks out ther that like the TM, but that thing is a complete PIECE OF SHIT!!!!

Do yourself a favor, and get the VistaCruise, or one of the other similar throttlelocks. Compared to VC, the TM is difficult to engage/disengage and is much more $$$$.

Well,

I have heard both camps regarding the throttlemiester many times over. I didn't care for the look of them till my Brother put one on his 06A. He got the black/silver billet aluminum. Note, the red lines you see on them are just some red tape that can be removed. My Bro removed his red tape and his look very sweet!! He said they are simple to use and likes his a bunch. Remember it is not a cruise control. Just an unobtrusive throttle locking device (tension can be adjusted). I just ordered one.

WW

Only 514 times. Funny, 500 times they are referred to as a piece of shit - and not all by me and skoot, either! :lol:

As far as them being easy to use, yeah, if you don't mind taking your hand off the throttle to lock or loosen them. Funny thing about the FJR... When you take your hand off the throttle at speed, the bike slows pretty fast for some strange reason. :dntknw:

But WW is right; they sure are purty and well made. Most expensive bar end weights on the market.

I have TM's on both bikes and find them to be both functional and attractive. They also have greater bar end weight than stock and help to minimize vibration at the bars.

My experience with them is that they should initially be set up to be quite firm. Wet down the rubber expansion "doughnuts" with alcohol. Set the tension up to be tight (just able to move the throttle) and then leave the adjustment ALONE for 48 hours or so; ie, don't tighten the TM. This will allow the doughnuts to swell inside the tube and to fully dry. After using this installation technique, they have generally maintained proper tension for months at a time. After just a little use, the throttle should be able to "snap off" from throttle spring pressure when the TM is turned off.

I don't recommend riding the bike with the TM unless this condition is met.

If they ever loosen, I have had good success by removing the TM end piece and then driving the bolt back into the bar with a rubber mallet. Only moderate taps are necessary. You are only trying to make the the doughnuts slide inward within the tube.

In my experience, all adjustment problems center on maintaining the compression of the rubber compression "doughnuts" at the end of the bolt. The mechanical twisting tensioning mechanism of the TM have been faultless.

One other benefit of the TM is that the tension level is adjustable, so that the throttle spring tension can be moderated while easily being able to change throttle power levels. While this is great for sweepers, I always turn the TM off when in the twisties.

I hope you enjoy yours. I have certainly enjoyed mine for thousands of miles.

Any comments or suggestions regarding the Throttlemeister Cruise Control? I've never used one, but am considering the upgrade. Thanks in advance.
Bill

Nooooo Bill don't listen to any of them they really are great, in fact I just happen to have one to sell you for cheap. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I also have them on my 07. I ordered the Heavy ones. they do ok on the highway. if i really need CC I will take the goldwing. I really like the extra bar room.

Dean :clapping:

I also have them on my 07. I ordered the Heavy ones. they do ok on the highway. if i really need CC I will take the goldwing. I really like the extra bar room.

Dean :clapping:
I've had Throttlemeisters in a few bikes in the past, they're ok....not perfect.

I haven't heard mention (in this thread) of the Kaoko, but I guess I could go follow that clicky and see.

It works for me, and looks good. I bought the black milled version. Takes a little getting used to, but can be set/unset with right hand unless your name is twowheelnut.

My TM works fine for me.

It's a throttle lock, not a cruise control. If installed correctly, they work just as advertised.

I think they look good, a big improvement on the standard bar ends.

I feel completely safe engaging/disengaging the Throttlemeister with (gasp) my left hand. Very simple to operate. As mentioned, it's not an effective cruise control due to the speed variences when road grade changes, merely a throttle lock. It is useful to ward off right hand fatigue while riding, or to hasten the drying process of a wet glove (jokes most assuredly will follow). It is overpriced.

It's not a cruise control, it's s throttle lock...

They work fine, you just need to take the time to set them up properly just like anything else. It may need to be adjusted from the heat of summer to the cold of winter as things shrink and expand. Especially if you have heated grips.

Some folks lack the dexterity to slide their hands over and give it a little twist. To each his own, but I enjoy mine it's been on two bikes so far and will probably go to the next.

But hey, I like Frogg Toggs too. So WTF do I know? :)

The 07 FJR I recently purchased already had it installed and I think it's fine for what it is, a throttle lock. Like others have said, it wont hold a steady speed on hills but the way mine is set I can make minor adjustments on the fly. Eventually I would like a true cruise control but for now this works just fine!!

I don't care how *pretty* you fruitcakes think it is, or how supposedly easy it is to engage.

I can engage my VistaCruise, pick my nose, and then disengage my VistaCruise before you all can engage that POS Throttlemeister.

I don't care how *pretty* you fruitcakes think it is, or how supposedly easy it is to engage.
I can engage my VistaCruise, pick my nose, and then disengage my VistaCruise before you all can engage that POS Throttlemeister.
Oh, do I only wish I'd seen this thread just 4 hours ago! Because 3 hours ago "Sin Trabajo" - Skooter G and I were having breakfast together at Mimi's Cafe in Scottsdale. Since I missed the opportunity to say this earlier: "SkooterG - Blow Me"!

November of 2004 you and I rode 3,600 miles together from Phoenix to Cabo San Lucas and back; and my Throttlemeister was happily mounted on my 2003 FJR; it worked just as well as your Vista Cruise and you saw me operate it one handed!

Last month You, Jane, Dr. Bob, FJRobert and I rode 350 miles on a Sunday outing and my R1150RT with Throttlemeister worked just fine. Two summers ago you rode to Puerto Penasco y Bahia Cholla, Mexico with Seamus - R1150GS, Michelle - F650GS, Brian and Melanie - R100GS and me - R1100GS; and everyone of those Beemers had trouble free Throttlemeisters.

Again, thank you very much for getting my Iridium spark plugs for me!! Now, please shove that Vista Cruise up your ass!!

As far as them being easy to use, yeah, if you don't mind taking your hand off the throttle to lock or loosen them. Funny thing about the FJR... When you take your hand off the throttle at speed, the bike slows pretty fast for some strange reason. :dntknw:

I've managed to get used to using mine without slowing down or taking my hand off the bar. Gotta be a little dexterous but I can do pretty well locking it without slowing down. It def is no cruise control but if your looking to just get your hand off the throttle for a few mins at a time it does the trick. I dont feel comfy without both hands on the bars so using it in short burst is fine for me.