Throttlemeister Cruise Control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't heard mention (in this thread) of the Kaoko, but I guess I could go follow that clicky and see.

I had the Kaoko on my Suzuki DL650 - worked great. Didn't slip, not difficult to adjust, easy to use, etc.

Update on this all,

I just received my Billet Throttle Meister's today. They look AWESOME!! I removed the red tape. Installed them in about 20 minutes. It works really really good!! Wish I would have got these puppies sooner! I adjusted them a little snug so I don't have to turn them very far back to engage.. Yet, they are still allow the throttle to snap back very loose when I disengage it.

I posted some pics of them in my FARKLE thread (scroll down to post #28). Check the link below in my signature line for the link. Also, please feel free to leave any feed back there.

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did a 800 mile roundtrip to Los Angeles and back last weekend going down I-5. That particular stretch of road is almost 300 miles of straight flat pavement through the Central Valley. The TM worked great for those conditions and it held the speed constant for mile after mile, never loosening. As soon as I hit the Grapevine, I didn't use it; it is, after all, a throttle lock and not very practical for hilly terrain.

I'm one of the wierdos I guess. Took the Throttlemeister from my R1 when I got the Feej. Mine stays locked when it needs to and is functional and attractive. To each his own.

I'm one of the wierdos I guess. Took the Throttlemeister from my R1 when I got the Feej. Mine stays locked when it needs to and is functional and attractive. To each his own.
Well,

I got a chance to use it for about 50 miles tonight... WORKS AWESOME!!! Engaging it is super simple. I just slide my hand half way between the bar end and throttle. Slightly turn the Meister so it only starts to engage. Then, I re-adjust my throttle position and lock it down the rest of the way. This throttlemeister is QUALITY!! Yes, it aint cheap... BUT quality never is and it looks like a million bucks!! Mine is the standard weight one and it really helps reduce the bar vibes too! Though, my bike doesn't vibe too bad anyways because I do regular TBS's.

WW

WW - I love the MADCO but yes it does have issues with factory heated grips.

Got the TM and it works great. Holds the throttle with out slipping and allows adjustment. I don't understand how people can't it to work. It is simple.

I do like the throttle locks that flip on and off with a thumb. The people that use those types of thumb activated locks do have a point that they are very simple to use. But the TM is not hard to put on like WW said.

Just a reminder to everyone not to shake hands with Skooter since he is picking his nose. can we get a picture of the blonde with the legs posted please? Anyone else want to see that or am I the only one?

John

I don't understand how people can't it to work. It is simple.
Oh, we can get them to work well enough. We just think the TM solution to the throttle lock question wholly sucks. Yes, they are made well, look great, quell bar vibes and when locked work as well as any other lock. It's the poor execution to the activation/deactivation sequence that is borked when compared to the simple, elegant solution of the VC or NEP type locks.

I don't understand how people can't it to work. It is simple.
Oh, we can get them to work well enough. We just think the TM solution to the throttle lock question wholly sucks. Yes, they are made well, look great, quell bar vibes and when locked work as well as any other lock. It's the poor execution to the activation/deactivation sequence that is borked when compared to the simple, elegant solution of the VC or NEP type locks.
2Wheel,

Now that I have one and have used it, I just don't see how the TM's activation/de-activatiion is anything close to poor. It is really simple and easy to operate. Personal preferance I suppose.

WW

I have owned both in the past. Let me see if I can clarify the situation.

Pretend that they were equal in all other regards (they aren't).

The problem is only with the way the ThrottleMeister engages when under way. The need to use your throttle hand to hold the throttle steady while at highway speed and simultaneously rotate the ThrottleMeister to engage the lock is the issue. The way it is designed if you hold the throttle, over lapping your hand onto the TM, when you rotate the throttle back it also unlocks the throttle, so not as much of an issue. But attempting to hold the throttle steady and rotating the lock toward you without using your other hand is not so simple a trick.

I have a feeling that people that use them a lot may just leave the TM turned most of the time and get used to the friction of the lock being there all the time. Or if you always know ahead of time when you'll be using the TM it's easy to engage before you start out. Or you can pull in the clutch, let go of the throttle and engage the TM, release the clucth and re-set the throttle. But that isn't smooth or easy.

Compare that to any of the thumb locks. They are simple to turn on or off with the throttle hand (no left hand involved) while holding the throttle steady.

I have owned both in the past. Let me see if I can clarify the situation.
Pretend that they were equal in all other regards (they aren't).

The problem is only with the way the ThrottleMeister engages when under way. The need to use your throttle hand to hold the throttle steady while at highway speed and simultaneously rotate the ThrottleMeister to engage the lock is the issue. The way it is designed if you hold the throttle, over lapping your hand onto the TM, when you rotate the throttle back it also unlocks the throttle, so not as much of an issue. But attempting to hold the throttle steady and rotating the lock toward you without using your other hand is not so simple a trick.

I have a feeling that people that use them a lot may just leave the TM turned most of the time and get used to the friction of the lock being there all the time. Or if you always know ahead of time when you'll be using the TM it's easy to engage before you start out. Or you can pull in the clutch, let go of the throttle and engage the TM, release the clucth and re-set the throttle. But that isn't smooth or easy.

Compare that to any of the thumb locks. They are simple to turn on or off with the throttle hand (no left hand involved) while holding the throttle steady.
Fred,

When opening the throttle you just turn the TM the same way (same opening throttle motion) to lock it. So by just having part of your hand covering the TM you can engage the mechanism and then just fine tune your throttle position. No left hand ever needed. I agree that a single thumb switch is slightly quicker. That being said, I too have used the thumb style throttle locks in the past and I have found the TM to be very simple and effortless to use, also.

WW

Fred,
When opening the throttle you just turn the TM the same way (same opening throttle motion) to lock it. So by just having part of your hand covering the TM you can engage the mechanism and then just fine tune your throttle position. No left hand ever needed. I agree that a single thumb switch is slightly quicker. That being said, I too have used the thumb style throttle locks in the past and I have found the TM to be very simple and effortless to use, also.

WW
The 'problem' occurs while at speed and wanting to set/unset the TM. There just doesn't seem to be a smooth way to engage/disengage without throttle movement (and reaching over with your left hand ain't the answer for me). Rolling up to speed while engaging is, indeed, fairly straight forward. Ditto rolling off completely.

Now mind you, if roads are relatively clear of traffic, it ain't no thang. However, throw traffic into the mix and it does become a safety issue, IMO. For me, it's much easy - and safer - to thumb the lock off on the NEP v. move my hand, finagle my pinky or otherwise fumble with the cantankerous TM's.

As I said before; they are lovely to look at, though.

Fred,<snip>

WW
The 'problem' occurs while at speed and wanting to set/unset the TM. There just doesn't seem to be a smooth way to engage/disengage without throttle movement (and reaching over with your left hand ain't the answer for me). Rolling up to speed while engaging is, indeed, fairly straight forward. Ditto rolling off completely.

Now mind you, if roads are relatively clear of traffic, it ain't no thang. However, throw traffic into the mix and it does become a safety issue, IMO. For me, it's much easy - and safer - to thumb the lock off on the NEP v. move my hand, finagle my pinky or otherwise fumble with the cantankerous TM's.
Just cause you aint got no skills doesn't mean it's not a good thing. You probably can't unhook a bra with one hand either which might explain why your door now swings the other way :)

I have no problem setting/unsetting w/o changing the throttle, in traffic, etc.

While I haven't used a VistaCruise [TM], the other throttle locks I tried were IMHO even less 'accurate' meaning there was flex in the assy that also allowed the throttle to settle at less than the speed you origianly set it at.

The NEP/VC may not have that issue though and for ~$30 it's probably well worth it if it floats your boat.

-MD

Note: I've never, ever, had to use two hands with a TM... Now Bob's BMW makes a TM knock-off, so does someone else, but it's bass-ackwards. That is; to tighten it you twist it forward, totally opposite of the throttle. That does take two hands (or so I've been told).

Just cause you aint got no skills doesn't mean it's not a good thing. You probably can't unhook a bra with one hand either which might explain why your door now swings the other way :)
I have no problem setting/unsetting w/o changing the throttle, in traffic, etc.
Fookin' mutants. :p

PS It takes your whole hand to pop the snaps? Rookie.

Just to add fuel to the fire. I had the TM and found it well made but somewhat a pain to deal with along with the throttle rocker. The Vista Cruise works better for me and I can replace it ten times for the price of the TM.