Throttlemeister Cruise Control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
November of 2004 you and I rode 3,600 miles together from Phoenix to Cabo San Lucas and back; and my Throttlemeister was happily mounted on my 2003 FJR; it worked just as well as your Vista Cruise and you saw me operate it one handed!
Last month You, Jane, Dr. Bob, FJRobert and I rode 350 miles on a Sunday outing and my R1150RT with Throttlemeister worked just fine. Two summers ago you rode to Puerto Penasco y Bahia Cholla, Mexico with Seamus - R1150GS, Michelle - F650GS, Brian and Melanie - R100GS and me - R1100GS; and everyone of those Beemers had trouble free Throttlemeisters.
Pffft!

Blah, blah, blah.............

You have a BMW and a Harley in your garage with the FJR. So not only have you drunk the kool-aid, but your 'living the lifestyle' with all those other Harley Nancy-boy Villiage People idiot copy-cats. So were supposed to take advice from you?

Ha!

I mean c'mon peeps, would you listen to anything ol beemerdons has to say when he looks like this?:

JoesBBQ-Wikeiup001.jpg

Can you say, "Y.....M.....C.....A...."

For all you TM lovers out there, how many of you have tried the VistaCruise?

I have the VistaCruise AND a Throttlemeister on FJR#2. And all the TM is good for is being one glorified $$$$ bar end. Never gets used.

So you all keep on keepin the faith. Any of you TM guys running the Fitch Fuel Catalyst too? Now that's a great mod!

It works for me, and looks good. I bought the black milled version. Takes a little getting used to, but can be set/unset with right hand unless your name is twowheelnut.
You have to keep in mind that I have arthritis in both hands, so I have somewhat limited movement. Even still, I cannot fathom how you can move the right side of your hand/fingers without moving the left during rotation. If both sides are in motion, so is the throttle. It's much easier just the flip the lever on a VC or similar. Cheaper, too.

Besides, it's all pretty much mute. Smitty installed a CC100 for me. Now, I just have a pair of lovely, overpriced bar end weights.

It works for me, and looks good. I bought the black milled version. Takes a little getting used to, but can be set/unset with right hand unless your name is twowheelnut.
You have to keep in mind that I have arthritis in both hands, so I have somewhat limited movement. Even still, I cannot fathom how you can move the right side of your hand/fingers without moving the left during rotation. If both sides are in motion, so is the throttle. It's much easier just the flip the lever on a VC or similar. Cheaper, too.

Besides, it's all pretty much mute. Smitty installed a CC100 for me. Now, I just have a pair of lovely, overpriced bar end weights.
OK TCMike, maybe I'm just special, :dribble: but how in the hell do you do this with just your right hand???? How can you possibly keep the throttle roll on and at the same time turn TM to its locked position? I think it's magic. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,I have heard both camps regarding the throttlemiester many times over. I didn't care for the look of them till my Brother put one on his 06A. He got the black/silver billet aluminum. Note, the red lines you see on them are just some red tape that can be removed. My Bro removed his red tape and his look very sweet!! He said they are simple to use and likes his a bunch. Remember it is not a cruise control. Just an unobtrusive throttle locking device (tension can be adjusted). I just ordered one.

WW
thank you very much WW. stupid ugly red tape coming off tonight.

I know there are some freakin weirdo folks out ther that like the TM, but that thing is a complete PIECE OF SHIT!!!!

Do yourself a favor, and get the VistaCruise, or one of the other similar throttlelocks. Compared to VC, the TM is difficult to engage/disengage and is much more $$$$.
I'm one of those freekin weirdos (and damn proud of it!!). It works well for me, once adjusted properly. And the bar-end weights have reduced vibration in the grips.

November of 2004 you and I rode 3,600 miles together from Phoenix to Cabo San Lucas and back; and my Throttlemeister was happily mounted on my 2003 FJR; it worked just as well as your Vista Cruise and you saw me operate it one handed!
Last month You, Jane, Dr. Bob, FJRobert and I rode 350 miles on a Sunday outing and my R1150RT with Throttlemeister worked just fine. Two summers ago you rode to Puerto Penasco y Bahia Cholla, Mexico with Seamus - R1150GS, Michelle - F650GS, Brian and Melanie - R100GS and me - R1100GS; and everyone of those Beemers had trouble free Throttlemeisters.
Pffft!

Blah, blah, blah.............

You have a BMW and a Harley in your garage with the FJR. So not only have you drunk the kool-aid, but your 'living the lifestyle' with all those other Harley Nancy-boy Villiage People idiot copy-cats. So were supposed to take advice from you?

Ha!

I mean c'mon peeps, would you listen to anything ol beemerdons has to say when he looks like this?:

JoesBBQ-Wikeiup001.jpg

Can you say, "Y.....M.....C.....A...."

For all you TM lovers out there, how many of you have tried the VistaCruise?

I have the VistaCruise AND a Throttlemeister on FJR#2. And all the TM is good for is being one glorified $$$$ bar end. Never gets used.

So you all keep on keepin the faith. Any of you TM guys running the Fitch Fuel Catalyst too? Now that's a great mod!
Dear Mr. Marbach, The court respectfully asks you this direct question: Did Mr. Stanley have, or not have, a hot beautiful blonde named Michelle, with fantastic legs that a guy would die for, in the H-D sidecar with him in the picture in question?

And Mr. Marbach, wasn't your only date on the particular day "Rosie & Her Four Sisters?" Meaning your right hand, JACKOFF!

Please bear in mind, that I can call to the bench 4 witnesses to that day: vectervp1, FJRobert, BadCat Burk and Cooleyman!

Last edited by a moderator:
Throttlemeisters are the only farkle I have on my bike and I can tell you definitively that they are good looking but pricey bar end weights that happen to also have a mediocre, at best mechanism for locking your throttle.

I have one on my Bandit. It is not easy to engage it, I still have not gottin in smooth. I have a cramp buster on the FJR that works good but you need to keep your palm on the grip so it is limited in effectiveness.

I think the TM works great. Best feature is that you can still make small adjustments to the throttle even with it locked for maintaining speed up and downhill. Can you do that with the VC? No doubt it is not as nice as a full cruise control system, but it works well for me, yes...even one-handed. Plus, it's much better looking than the Vista and you don't have to go drilling and trimming stuff.

I have a Throttlemeister on my FJR and it works just fine. I should point out that I have not made any changes to the throttle return spring tension and the Throttlemeister works as advertized. I have had Throttlemeisters on two BMWs with excellent service.

OBD

My TM works just fine, especially to smooth out an otherwise spastic low-end throttle. It also does a good job of holding the throttle open at speed, allowing me to maintain my pace with minimum strain on my right hand.

HOWEVER: this may be a case of ignorance is bliss, for I've never used a cruise control or any other throttle lock except the one on my old Harley that didn't have a throttle return spring at all.

I think the TM works great. Best feature is that you can still make small adjustments to the throttle even with it locked for maintaining speed up and downhill. Can you do that with the VC?
Yep.

and you don't have to go drilling and trimming stuff.
You don't have to do this with all VC type locks. ;)

Have had both the VC and the TM on my '05. Nutshell answer is: They both do the job just fine.

Pluses for each:

TM: Adjustable up or down (can adjust VC slower only) for fine-tuning speed after locked in

Looks better (VC looked cheap when first installed, now I don't even notice it)

VC: Much (about 4X) cheaper - about $25 vs. about $100

MUCH easier install (I used the non-Yamaha version and did Ignacio's? trick of letting it float)

Minuses:

TM: Installation includes removing your stock bar ends and then getting just the right pressure on the TM's vinyl washer - took a few tries to get each part done, but once done, didn't have any more issues. Couldn't get the TM out of my wrecked handlebar or I'd not have bothered to try a VC.

VC: The biggest downside for the VC is the cruder tunability - can't make those small (1-10 mph) adjustments as easily as with the TM

Roughly equivalent on ease of application for me, but I've got pretty big hands.

TM: Had to slide right hand out, keep throttle is position by pinching with thumb and first two fingers while applying TM with outer pad of same (right) hand

VC: Have to hold VC against throttle housing with index finger while applying VC with thumb and holding throttle in position with right hand pad, pinkie and ring fingers.

Both do the job of letting you rest your throttle hand for a bit. I really liked being able to finesse speed up or down on the slab with the TM, but now that I have a couple thousand miles using the VC, it's plenty good enough for what I use a throttle lock for; I've learned to apply it at just a tad faster than I want to go and then ease it down to my desired speed.

Well,I have heard both camps regarding the throttlemiester many times over. I didn't care for the look of them till my Brother put one on his 06A. He got the black/silver billet aluminum. Note, the red lines you see on them are just some red tape that can be removed. My Bro removed his red tape and his look very sweet!! He said they are simple to use and likes his a bunch. Remember it is not a cruise control. Just an unobtrusive throttle locking device (tension can be adjusted). I just ordered one.

WW
thank you very much WW. stupid ugly red tape coming off tonight.
Fjrchik,

Glad to help.

:)

WW

Dunno what all the negativity is about.

I installed my TM in twenty minutes.

it works fine, and I have no problem using the right hand only to manipulate it where I want.

Maybe because I play guitar, have dexterity in my right hand?

Any comments or suggestions regarding the Throttlemeister Cruise Control? I've never used one, but am considering the upgrade. Thanks in advance.
Bill
Bill... I have used three throttle locks on my last three bikes...

Universal Vista Cruise on FZ1: Good: Worked okay. Bad: Looked sort of clunky, took up 1/2" of the grip, loosened up over time.

ThrottleMeister on Stratoliner: Good: Looked very nice, worked okay, took up no space on the grip. Bad: Impossible to engage smoothly.

M.A.D. Co Cam-Lock Sport on FJR: Good: Looks great, easy to engage and disengage smoothly, does not use any grip space, great customer service from Bill. Bad: Ummm... have to remove and replace grip, but that takes 15 minutes with a screwdriver and some WD-40. Just follow the instructions.

Buy the Madco!

For the price of a Throttlemeister or MadCo throttle lock you could buy an AVCC and have a real cruise control. The difference is apparent any time you ride somewhere other than Florida (read: that has any hills)