Ticker Repair Done !!!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tim05fjr

Hey Guys and Gals,

I finaly got my bike back from the dealer. After a little over 4 weeks.

I was starting to pull my hair out as the weather has realy gotten nice here on L.I.

For those of you who were following my thread "Am I wrong to be upset" that I posted after dropping it off, I musy say that after all the B.S. They did do a Top Notch job on the repair.

Here is a list of what was done:

repalced all valve guides

all seals

all exhaust valves

head bolts

head gasket

valve cover gasket

changed oil/filter

flushed and changed clutch fluid

All at no cost to me.

The only complaint I have is that at no time during this 4 weeks did I get a call from tham as to the progress of the repair. It would have been nice to be updated once in a while.

With that said, I am very pleased with the job. The bike runs smooth as silk, and is now so much quieter. I even got it back cleaner than when I dropped it off. :D

I picked it up Weds. morning and logged on a little over 200 miles so far.

No leaking fluids or loose parts so far.

I will check over everything under the plastic this week end. I need to put back all my wiring and heat trollers. The mechanic had removed them when he pulled the engine and I told him that I would put it all back since I needed to go in there to do some other farkeling any way.

Who's up for a ride?

Tim

Tim, I've been in your shoes on a repaired ticker. Glad to hear yours was repaired OK and is running better.

I never got a call from the dealer but I did call them to keep up with progress.

Mine runs so much smoother, quieter and stronger since the tick repair.

I really notice the extra power in 5th gear when rolling on the throttle - it just jumps now.

I now have about 5k on mine since the repair and all is well..

Let's ride.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I have about 700 miles on my repaired ticker. They didn't have to pull the engine though. They should have replaced all they took off no matter what it was but happy it sound and runs good. Mine had to go back cuz the valve cover gasket leaked but they took care of it.I just installed the Holeshot header yesterday, already had the cans on, and reinstalled the PCIII that I took off to have the ticker fixed. Also had a custom map loaded on the Dyno and this thing rocks beyond belief. Smoother, more power and less heat. Plus the sound it so cool. It lets you know where your engines at during acceleration and perfomance riding but quiets down during cruising so it is not irritating. A must have farkle for perfomance and heat issue.

Glad to hear that you got your ticker fixed. My question is, how did you get the dealer to do all that work for you at no cost? My dealer(s) have said they would "help" in the repair costs but they are reluctant to say what "help" is. I called Yamaha Customer Service three days ago with a promise that they would be in contact with me within two hours and have yet to hear anything. Any tips would be appreciated.

Yamaha should have even change the radiator fluid as it had to be drained to remove what they did. Yamaha knows even if the dealer doesn't. There should be no cost to you in repairing the ticker. None whatsoever!!!!! Ask to talk to someone that has repair knowledge of the ticker. Also have them inform your dealer. Finding info on these sites helps you and the dealer to deal with this. Some dealers try to double up, get the payment from yamaha and get a little from you too. Pads their pockets. If they continue to insist on you paying part take it to another dealer who has some ecperience fixing a ticker. Once they do one it is much easier for them to get things going. What took the longest in my repair was getting the authorization. The repair was quick, a couple of days but waiting for the head to return from having the valves removed and replaced took a couple of weeks.

Getting the authorization only took a few days. The diagnosis was the problem I had. But after they went through that B.S. Yamaha said thay would cover everything.

When I first spoke to Customer Service, I made it clear that I was not happy with the fact that I had a problem with a $13,000 motorcycle that was only 9 months old. I took the advise given to me by this forum." The squeaky wheel gets the oil".

Spiderman, don't wait for them to call you back. Call them and stay on the line until you talk to someone who knows what's going on. I had them put me on the line with a superviser on my first call. I then got her direct extension to contact her.

fjrvtx1300s,

BTW, they did also change my coolant and spark plugs. The dealer covered that for me because they forgot to put it on the bill for Yamaha.

So far so good. Last week end I did a 400 mile ride and then to and from work all week. All is great. A little over 800 miles and everthing is like new.

Tim

Possible 04 Ticker?

Guys, My 04 with 16K miles has developed an engine ticking noise when raised just off idle and then goes away after the rpm goes up after that point, maybe the air injection valve for emmissions (I Hope)? I took delivery new in August of 03 without the the YES extended coverage. In your opinion will Yamaha cover the repairs if the noise gets worse and is in fact a "Ticker"?

Thanks,

Alan

Alan,

Go to the ticker sound byte thread and take a listen. Mine sounded just like it.

Mine made the tick from just off idle to about 3600 rpm.

Get it to a Yamaha dealer, then start making some noise of your own with customer service. It's my understanding that they are covering the repair out of warranty.

Tim

Sounds like an excellent dealership to do business with. Perhaps you could post the name in the dealer feedback forum. The next guy might be able to get his ticker squared away there, or any other service work at that.

It's a breath of fresh air to read someone say I got my bike back from the shop and I'm mostly happy as heck :) .