Tie down points

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a lot of inspiration HERE
These are fantastic: GRIP TWIST (got em at Home Depot)
Let see now got a tank bag for small stuff and tote bag that tent, sleeping bag an a couple other things fit in now and it fits nicely between me and the tour pack. I am going to look into the bungee buddies and see where I can mount them. I think I got it. I want to thank every one for all the ideas.

I rode all over the west last year on a Suzuki cruiser and camped for 17 nights, and in addition to the bare-bones list you made (but without the C-PAP) I also had a backpacking stove, mess kit, coffee makings (cone, filters, etc.), Thermarest ground pad, hatchet, flashlight, tools, some reading, a first aid kit, extra shoes or sandals (unless your riding boots are damned comfy), and plenty more. I had some things in a small duffel, like the sleeping bag and other small light things, and others were just bungee'd down, but there wasn't much I had I didn't need. (F'ing Junior is right about non-cotton t's and underwear, btw. And don't forget if you're going to places like Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon, like I did, you'll be buying more t-shirts there.)

I liked the loops of parachute cord idea for bungees, too. Why pay Aerostitch ten bucks for a purpose-made strap that does the same thing? I'm camping next weekend--that Morro Bay trip--and just sized my essential things on the FJR and have been wondering about your exact question. Noplace for tiedowns. I'll be making some 'chute cord loops pretty soon. A tank bag and my Yama top box and I'll have room for everything but a hitchhiker.

the bungy buddy placed here help a bunch
54420984.jpg

and two more placed on the back of a GOOD rack that is powder coated to last not like the crap oem and you can carry anything!

184327501.jpg
When I saw your post I thought the Bungee Buddy was the solution to my problem: two-up camping (with maybe some fishing) on my 2006 FJR.

I have the Givi V46 with luggage rack. I want to add three bright yellow dry bags (call them "duffels") to the bike, mainly for storage but also to increase conspicuity.

One (lightly packed) goes transverse on the Givi rack and is no problem. The other two need to go on top of the saddle bags, longitudinally. I can use the mount arms on the inboard side of the bags for bungee hooks, but there is nothing on the outboard side of the bags to hook. I would like to use the Bungee Buddies there, but the bag is double walled and I doubt that I can tighten up the nuts without distorting or breaking the bag and causing leaks.

I checked for Yamaha parts on line to see if the inner bag separated from the outer bag, but there was no indication that this is the case.

Anyone with any experience mounting hardware on the Yamaha saddle bags?

Ken C

OK i want to know how you are going to power your sleep apnea machine while you are camping?
i've quit camping for this very reason
I have a bud who camps with his sleep apnea thingy with Concours (C10 not C14) and claims he runs off the battery and there is power enough left to start in AM. Don't know how wiring is rigged, he prolly uses a transformer when he plugs into his house.

You know, the best thing about this forum, is that in this thread, there is not one flame for the sleep apnea machine. While I do not suffer thus, my back needs work. All the experience and knowledge and skill you fellas posses along with the constant lack of maturity is fantastic

And I must say, the blue bikes look faster...

Two things are key in this discussion from my perspective, if the issues are: 1. adequate tiedown points, and 2. the ability to haul a camping load. Correspondingly they would be: 1. what you use for tie downs, and 2. your definition of camping.

As I don't run a trunk, but just a rack, and all of my camp load amounts to a single layer of soft bags behind me; I've really grown to like ROK straps as the solution for all my tiedown chores. They're available in varying lengths & widths, have stout elastic sections for tensioning, and non-marring loops for attachment, and plastic snap buckles for easily closure & cinching your load. A pair of narrow ones w/ both ends afixed to the rack holds the [lighter] rear duffel. A wide/long set connected to the front of the rack and the rear end of the peg-hangers holds the [heavier] front duffel. ...and another wide/long set spans the entire load from the rear of the rack to the exhaust hangers for added stability. I will also on occasion nest a long skinny stuffsack between the two duffels which is loosely packed w/ not much more than my raingear & bikecover [where they're handy], ...well, and perhaps the rest of that bottle of Shiraz I didn't polish off around the campfire last nite rolled up inside.

I can carry enuf to camp [by my definition] along w/ way more other crap than I oughta [know better than to] take and not feel overloaded. But in my case , I don't include cooking in my camping agenda, ...which of course pares the requisite paraphenalia down considerably. I grab dindin somewhere before I camp, and a nutrition bar will hold me in the a.m. til I've been on the road a short spell & see a likely cafe for breakfast. So therefore my camp kit is pretty spare: tent/bag/pads[2]/Kermits Kamp Chair, all fits in a pair of Ortleib waterproof duffels, a medium on the Garaulds sportrack, and a large on the pillion. That leaves the hard bags & my tankbag for the rest, which is plenty of space since there's no S.O.

OK i want to know how you are going to power your sleep apnea machine while you are camping?
i've quit camping for this very reason
I have a bud who camps with his sleep apnea thingy with Concours (C10 not C14) and claims he runs off the battery and there is power enough left to start in AM. Don't know how wiring is rigged, he prolly uses a transformer when he plugs into his house.

No transformer needed, the newer CPAP machines are designed to take 12 V with an adapter and straight plug in to 110V or 230V...

Take less crap?
Lets see Tent, Sleeping bag, sleep apnia machine, leathers, rain gear, toiletteries and clothes. What don't I need?
Your CPAP needs electricity... Unless you got a battery powered one... If you do I would like to know about it...

So, Dont camp.... Holiday inn
Mine came with a cord I can plug directly into a cigarette lighter socket and it also plugs into AC. It works very well.

My wife won't let me spend too much more on the bike so... she made a set of open loop straps with one inch webbing and adjustable buckles on the other end. The open loops attach on the grap bar and under the seat cross member. Each portion of the strap is about two feet long with the loop approximately four inches. They work great and can adjust to just about any size load on the back seat. I keep them in a small bag under my seat when not in use. The whole thing cost about eigth bucks from the local fabric store and took about thirty minutes to sew on a machine.

I am finding my first nit to pick. When going on a camping endeavor I am finding there are a serious lack of places to hook the bungees for all those things ya got to take along. Any one have any answers. If you are going to stay in a hotel there is enough room but for Camping I have problems.

I'll try to find the link to a post I did a couple years ago using hollow webbing to create tie downs......

See if this works:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...41&hl=strap

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats wrong with having the wife wear a large back pack and hold the tent across her lap. (just kidding) 550 cord and a little time setting them up works great until i can get a back rack.