Tinted face shield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoCage

formerly SouthernFJR
Reaction score
I live west of where I work. So... I have the sun in my face coming and going on my commute. B) I've not had tinted shields in the past, and I don't like to wear sunglasses with a helmet on. What do you guys prefer... smoke tinting or mirror? Or, does it make any difference other than looks?

I prefer a light smoke shield on my Arai. Light enough that it doesn't mess up my vision too bad a night and dark enough that it does a pretty good job keeping the glare out of my eyes during the day.

I've never used a mirrored shield, but, I hear the scratches are more visible by the rider that with a tinted shield.

I use this visor--I know some think it looks ghay, yadda, yadda but the safety factor is immeasurable. I can ride strait into the sun, just tilt my head down a little as needed and it (sun) disappears, it's vented so there is no visor flip up/back or heavy pull on the neck. Sorry it looks dorky, but I aint out to win no fashion shows out there, just trying to stay alive. Polarized Sunshades, a clear visor and this dorky duck bill works for me--quack!!

cliky

I use a gold mirrored one:

https://tinyurl.com/6du2o

I think the mirrored shields are just darker than the regular tints. Looking through that gold mirror it is not "gold" but dark grey.

I also have a gradiant tint shield that works well, and as I am very light sensitive, durring the summer I wear sunglasses under the tinted visor. The mirrored ones just are hard to clean , I don't think the wearer notices scratches more..

KM

Lightly mirrored blue shield for me. 'Cept, I have prescription sun glasses that are Polarized. Makes for a hard time reading the LCD panel, satrad and radar detector, but I can see the GPS just fine...

I use a blue mirrored shield so I can wear my prescrip glasses underneath. I always carry a clear shield in case I get caught out at night.

Silvered mirror shield. Clear one in luggage for night.

After a coupla guys tried talking to me in stop and go traffic, I switched from clear to mirrored. Now I'm left alone. Plus it makes no sense to wear a helmet to protect your melon and then put sunglasses on that could poke your eye out if something were to happen.

Silvered mirror shield. Clear one in luggage for night.
After a coupla guys tried talking to me in stop and go traffic, I switched from clear to mirrored. Now I'm left alone. Plus it makes no sense to wear a helmet to protect your melon and then put sunglasses on that could poke your eye out if something were to happen.
Huh, how come chicks never try to talk to me at stop lights? :dntknw:

:lol:

Scorpion helmets make dark smoked visors w/ non fogging coating on them, love them for any weather, and carry a clear w/ same coating in a visor bag in my saddlebag for low visability days.

Plus it makes no sense to wear a helmet to protect your melon and then put sunglasses on that could poke your eye out if something were to happen.
Huh? That statement makes no sense to me.

If something is happening during a crash where it is penetrating the helmet enough to touch the sunglasses, then I want them there for additional protection.

Besides, when was the last time anybody saw any facial injuries from a crash to a rider wearing a full face helmet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Shoei RF-1000 w/ a light smoke shield and wear prescription polarized sunglasses underneath on bright, sunny days. On trips, I'll take the clear shield along w/ me in case I have to ride late in the evening or at night.

I have also seen where some put a strip of black electrical tape along the top of the visor to cut down on sun but I've not tried this.

If I crash hard enough to be concerned about what happens to my glasses inside a full face helmet, I probably have more serious problems to worry about.

Plus it makes no sense to wear a helmet to protect your melon and then put sunglasses on that could poke your eye out if something were to happen.

If something is happening during a crash where it is penetrating the helmet enough to touch the sunglasses, then I want them there for additional protection.

Besides, when was the last time anybody saw any facial injuries from a crash to a rider wearing a full face helmet?
Many members of my family are opticians.

I've seen some MANGLED glasses from very light impacts (non-motorcycle). I don't think you need to worry about objects destroying your glasses. The thing i would be concerned about (and am, I only ride while wearing contacts, not glasses) is your helmet moving around, dislodging, etc.

I've tried wearing my perscription glasses under my helmet, and by moving the helmet with my hands I can dis-lodge my glasses.

Oh yea... I use an AGV dark smoke sheild. I also carry a clear if I'm going to be riding late into the evening/night.

blue mirrored on the KBC flip face ,, and dark grey on the ICON Maniac ,, I wear dark perscription sunglasses with both (Dragon Cages) ,, I also carry a clear sheild if I know I'm going to be out after dark ,, I used to wear yellow tinted scripts at night but I just got so tired of carrying all that crap ,, last week I got new scripts in Oakley Crosshair frames with those lenses that change from clear to dark ,, will see what they do !! takes 2 weeks to get them from Oakley ,,

Many members of my family are opticians.

I've seen some MANGLED glasses from very light impacts (non-motorcycle). I don't think you need to worry about objects destroying your glasses. The thing i would be concerned about (and am, I only ride while wearing contacts, not glasses) is your helmet moving around, dislodging, etc.

I've tried wearing my perscription glasses under my helmet, and by moving the helmet with my hands I can dis-lodge my glasses.

Oh yea... I use an AGV dark smoke sheild. I also carry a clear if I'm going to be riding late into the evening/night.
Sorry for the delay, was driving home. OK, all of my sunglasses have the little nose pads on them. And they are plenty close to the ole eyeballs. I'm thinking a hard hit of your head to ground after a flight through the air might make the helmet and glasses shift some and it could possibly move the glasses somewhere you don't want them. Or maybe not. Could depend on the helmet. My old flip-up nolan was pretty loose around my face compared to the HJC I have now. But it seems much safer to just get a tinted or mirrored visor.

I use a Fog City Hyper Optiks visor insert. https://www.modernworld.com/

It's a very light green color in the dark and cobalt blue in the sun. Never had a bit of trouble at night, it's kind of like those yellow "driving" glasses, they brighten things up at night. A strip of black tape across the inside top of the visor helps a lot too when riding directly into the sun.

By the way, I've never had any fog. These things rock! :good:

:bye:

I was riding a friends 250R 3-wheeler (with a big bore kit - what a beast). Was wearing glasses and wadded pretty hard taking out a big section of fencing. Ripped the shield off and the helmet twisted so much it broke my glasses and the glasses cut my nose pretty good. It was at the bridge of my nose and could have very easily been my eye instead.

I just use a clear shield with electrical tape at the top portion wearing prescription sunglasses (polarized). I just tilt my head down slightly to block the sun. This or one of the brand name "Sunblocker" type devices is really the only way to completely block the Sun. Otherwise it's still in your face, even with tinted visors.

Thanks for the input guys & gal. I'll prolly go with a tinted shield. Though I should get a mirrored one... I'm so tired of the comments from chicks... "Hey baby... do those legs go all the way up?" <_< The insert Evil H. mentioned also looks interesting.