Tips For Safe Interstate Riding - 1st Road Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right lane is the roughest; most traffic, most big rigs. I think you're safer on an interstate, myself. You're on a bike that handles highway speeds so easy you don't even notice it, and you can easily accelerate out of virtually any situation. You have unlimited visibility in all directions. If it rains, it rains. Enjoy your ride.

I'm not sure if my first ride on the slab should include rain.
I'd agree - especially if it's an optional trip. No point in taking chances.

At some point in your riding career, you *will* ride the interstates in the rain. It can't be helped if you are leaned towards the "touring" part of sport-touring. But get comfortable on slabs first. Then get comfortable in the rain. *Then* get comfortable in the rain on slabs.

Which brings up a good question - what is the "go-no go" threshold for rain chance that will keep you pros off the bikes? 40%? 50%?
Too many variables. How important is the trip? Time of day? Quality of roads (I'd ride the interstates of the South in the rain sooner than the ones here in the Northeast)? etc, etc.

As a ballpark guess thoigh, I'll ride any time I think I can avoid the rain - in other words, if I can plan a route around or between storms.

But if it's socked in, I just accept it and take the cage.

When transitioning from one freeway to another via a two-lane exit to the right, always choose the far-right of the two lanes in order to make room for the crazy stupid sonufabitch who realizes last minute that that is his/her exit and they shoot over across the divider onto the exit.

Last edited by a moderator:
My tip...don't fall asleep. That can be hazardous while riding the FJR.

My usual remedy for that is to ride the 2laners so I don't get too bored.

For God's sake wear a full faced helmet even if the state laws don't require it. Wear your protective clothing, boots, gloves, etc. Agree with the pump, slime, tire repair kits. If it's hot use a evaporation vest, can be found if you Google evaporation clothing.

Good riding. Brain Surgeon.

On the rain gear question, I really like the Bass Pro Shops GoreTex fisherman's rain gear. They sell hooded jackets and pants separately, so you can put together a custom fit suit. There are color choices (I like the basic black). The only down side is that you have a Bass Pro Shops logo, which may or may not be an issue for you... its not for me.

The pants are very easy to put on over boots, and when it gets cold, the pants and jacket are great to shield you from wind. This gear is made for folks who will be out on the water in a gale. It will keep you bone dry, and its not terribly expensive.

Stolen from a previous similar topic: If you see an alligator (part of a blown truck tire), be aware that there will most likely be more.
To reiterate mine; The wife and I were in the cage just about to the tunnel in Phoenix this weekend when another car changed lanes in front of us. Evidently he didn't see the rubber, got it , then we swallowed the gator that quick. It would have been a disaster on the bike. :dribble:

As your eyes pan and scan what's around you, you need to focus on what you actually see and also keep your eyes on the possibilities

possibilities are endless but just to point you in the right direction, it is quite poosible that:

any crap "tied down" to a vehicle may fly up in front of you at any time

the cell phone user 3 car lenghts up and one lane over is drifting out of her lane may cause an accident

every exit ramp is an opporttunity for someone to make a 3 lane change without seeing you or others

the list goes on and on but you should be looking for the possibilities on any road and with some time you will become comfortable on inter states. As many have stated, it is amazing how you will feel more safe and see more and be less vulnerable if you move a little faster than traffic.

Well, after all the great tips on safe riding on the interstate -----I took my truck. The weather called for 50% to 60% chances of rain along my route. I got sprinkled on for about 1 mile out of the 250 mile trip on the drive over to MS. The rest of the time, the weather was perfect and bikes were everywhere! I was so mad!! Not to mention the gas there and back cost me $160.00!!

I'm sure it rained somewhere and my timing on the interstate was such that I missed the storms. It was probably a good thing that I did not ride since it would have been my first trip out and rain was possible.

All is not lost. I may take a day trip to Augusta, GA this weekend - weather permitting.

Again, thanks to all for the tips! :drinks:

I posted earlier in this thread, but I've thought of something else that I think is really important - NEVER change lanes without an actually look over your shoulder. It is amazing how quickly a car can come up on you and sit in a blind spot for your mirror. If you pull into the other lane as the car decides to move past you, you're screwed... and there's nothing you can do except hope that your sprawling body won't get run over by additional traffic.

Mirrors are great, and the mirrors on the FJR are excellent in my opinion, but mirrors AND a careful look before making your move are even better than mirrors alone. I can't count the number of times that the LOOK has saved my sorry butt.

Amen! It happened to my wife and I this weekend. Driving I-84, middle lane, 65 mph. Truck 20 yards ahead is a lawn maintenance truck, pulling a trailer. My wife goes to pass me and I give her the "Whoa!" hand signal and she stays back. Sure enough, crap starts flying off the back of the trailer - garbage, dirt, lawn mower covers, etc.

I signal the lane change and blow past the guy. If we had been any closer, we would definitely have gotten smacked by some of that crap.

Mirrors are great, and the mirrors on the FJR are excellent in my opinion
Interesting you say that. I think they are completely average. I can't get them in a position that suits me.
Great? Average? I can't remember the number of bikes I've owned but these are the worst of any bike I had that cost over $3K

Amen! It happened to my wife and I this weekend. Driving I-84, middle lane, 65 mph. Truck 20 yards ahead is a lawn maintenance truck, pulling a trailer. My wife goes to pass me and I give her the "Whoa!" hand signal and she stays back. Sure enough, crap starts flying off the back of the trailer - garbage, dirt, lawn mower covers, etc.

I signal the lane change and blow past the guy. If we had been any closer, we would definitely have gotten smacked by some of that crap.
20 yds= 60 ft. Middle lane says travelling, not passing or slow. Maintain a safe following distance or get around possible hazards. Glad you or your wife didn't get nailed, Shawn.

Mirrors are great, and the mirrors on the FJR are excellent in my opinion
Interesting you say that. I think they are completely average. I can't get them in a position that suits me.
Great? Average? I can't remember the number of bikes I've owned but these are the worst of any bike I had that cost over $3K
Well, I've owned a few myself, and the ones on the FJR work for me at a much higher level than most of the others I've had, including a bunch of late model Sport Touring competitors.

Obviously how well mirrors work depends on your own geometry. I'm pretty average (5'10"). Maybe you're tall or short. I like the FJR mirrors because the image is stable, they're fairing mounted so they show a clear picture of what is actually behind the bike, and they're mounted high enough to give me a better than average view of what's coming up in an adjacent lane. The image quality is good too, and they fold in both directions to make it easier to slip by the bike when its in a tight spot.

If you don't like 'em, you might want to consider adding one of those little wide angle mirror stick-ons. That might be a reasonable salvage strategy.

If all I could see were my elbows, or if I couldn't get a clear image, that would be a showstopping issue for me. I'd be a pretty unhappy camper, and possibly not an FJR owner.

FZ-1 mirrors. Makes the mirrors the widest part of the bike, even wider than the bags. Can't see your elbows in them if you try.

Safe interstate riding?

Here's a few suggestions.

First, a helmet. Hell, no - don't wear no helmet - all they do is make your head heavier and your neck sore, not to mention cut your peripherial vision. Just get a cool pair of sunglasses. They'll protect you just fine.

Gloves. Get the bitchin' fingerless type.

Upper body protection? 2 words to live by: Wife Beater.

Lower body - shorts, preferably camo cargo shorts.

Foot wear? Flip-flops are the ONLY way to go.

Riding style: You've got a very fast motorcycle, so use that speed at all times. Don't be shy - tailgate and flash your lights when a poky cager is holding you up, lane split as often as possible.

Oh - and if you see a hotty, be sure to pull a wheelie.

Safe interstate riding?
Here's a few suggestions.

First, a helmet. Hell, no - don't wear no helmet - all they do is make your head heavier and your neck sore, not to mention cut your peripherial vision. Just get a cool pair of sunglasses. They'll protect you just fine.

Gloves. Get the bitchin' fingerless type.

Upper body protection? 2 words to live by: Wife Beater.

Lower body - shorts, preferably camo cargo shorts.

Foot wear? Flip-flops are the ONLY way to go.

Riding style: You've got a very fast motorcycle, so use that speed at all times. Don't be shy - tailgate and flash your lights when a poky cager is holding you up, lane split as often as possible.

Oh - and if you see a hotty, be sure to pull a wheelie.
When I noticed you're from OH it all made sense.

:dribble: