Tips For Safe Interstate Riding - 1st Road Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earplugs? I guess to null the sound of the wind? But, doesn't that restrict your hearing in some way?
If you don't use them, you will definitely get restricted hearing, permanently.

I always wear plugs, even on short trips. And I seem to pick up the sounds of emergency vehicles and the like long before the cagers around me do.
Earplugs are a riders best friend. It took me a couple of rides to get used to them. Now, I won't go without them. They save your hearing and reduce your fatigue. Riding is much more enjoyable. I was skeptical at first, but they an important safety item IMHO.

I usually try to stay alert by trying to know where every vehicle is at exactly in front/beside/ and behind me..Then I determine weather they intend to pass me,, slow down or turn before they give any indication of it.

It is usually best to go about 5 mph above the flow of traffic unless that will get you into real ticket range.
weather, whether - English language homophone! :rolleyes:

Earplugs? I guess to null the sound of the wind? But, doesn't that restrict your hearing in some way?
If you don't use them, you will definitely get restricted hearing, permanently.

I always wear plugs, even on short trips. And I seem to pick up the sounds of emergency vehicles and the like long before the cagers around me do.
Earplugs are a riders best friend. It took me a couple of rides to get used to them. Now, I won't go without them. They save your hearing and reduce your fatigue. Riding is much more enjoyable. I was skeptical at first, but they an important safety item IMHO.
I never ride with earplugs. Have right windshield, will travel. When I raise my shield up, all I hear is motor sounds.

If you're riding with the stock shield... wear earplugs. The wind noise is deafening.

I may be riding from the Atlanta, GA to the North Mississippi area along I-20.
I'd appreciate any safe riding tips from all of you interstate pros.
Just a little travel note:

When you get to Oxford, AL, get off the interstate and onto Hwy 78. Continue on to Riverside, then get back on the interstate. Hwy 78 runs parallel to the interstate in this area. I-20, in this section, is a piece of crap and is like riding on a messed-up washboard. It will beat the living daylights out of you on a bike.

The wind noise is deafening.
Literally.

Also, the pressure changes as you go through a truck's wake can be quite uncomfortable, which earplugs help with as well. But even behind a windshield, wind noise inside the helmet is quite loud, and will damage your hearing.

stay the hell away from trucks (except to pass them).
& pass them as legally fast as possible. My rule of thumb is when pulling into the passing lane with a car in front of me also intent on passing, I wait until the car in front of me completely has the truck cleared before I begin my pass.
+1 Do not spend any more time that absolutely necessary anywhere near a big rig. Nothing good can happen to a biker around one of those things...

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Driving back from Deming to Las Cruces (NM) on Interstate 10, there's tons of 18-wheelers. When I pass, I hunker down and pass QUICK!

I'd like to thank everyone for the very excellent tips. Now the weather seems to be working against me. The Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi ride looks like a 30% to 50% chance of rain depending on the state. I'm not sure if my first ride on the slab should include rain. Which brings up a good question - what is the "go-no go" threshold for rain chance that will keep you pros off the bikes? 40%? 50%?

We had lots of rain today and i got wet. There was only a 30% chance of rain. :blink:

I'm not sure if my first ride on the slab should include rain. Which brings up a good question - what is the "go-no go" threshold for rain chance that will keep you pros off the bikes? 40%? 50%?
If I have somewhere to go or just feel like riding, rain (by itself) doesn't make any difference. Now, couple rain with lightning, hail, tornadoes, other crap like that and riding is suddenly a little less fun.

Get some basic rain gear, at least, and put it on before the water starts falling. I always make it a point NOT to pull over underneath an underpass. Other drivers probably won't see you, and they'll be passing you just a few feet away at 65-70 MPH, which just never seemed safe to me.

Enjoy your ride, you're makin' memories!

dbx

I'd like to thank everyone for the very excellent tips. Now the weather seems to be working against me. The Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi ride looks like a 30% to 50% chance of rain depending on the state. I'm not sure if my first ride on the slab should include rain. Which brings up a good question - what is the "go-no go" threshold for rain chance that will keep you pros off the bikes? 40%? 50%?
We had lots of rain today and i got wet. There was only a 30% chance of rain. :blink:
Inexperienced slab rider and high percentage chance of rain... Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me. As painful as it may be, take the 2-lanes. #1 problem on the rainy slab is visibility. Decreasing your speed below average traffic pace just makes things worse. Save your first slab encounter for good weather.

When you do get on the slab, remember that those 18-wheelers can be your friend or your enemy. You have the ability to create pockets of space for yourself and them. They really DO want to KNOW where you are, and they will appreciate you being considerate of what they must do. Besides, they all have CB radios and can communicate with one another to help you out, or to box you in. It's your choice.

If you have a bike and intend to ride you are going to get wet. I have got 400 miles in nothing but rain, I is not fun but that is what you do. If you plan your trips around the weather you will hardly ever ride. You just have to be more aware in the rain and you may have to stop a little more often.

Could someone recommend some good rain gear? Something that is thin and easy to carry in the saddle bags?
Stop by any Cycle Gear store or any place that sells motorcycle clothing. I use a $40 Moto Boss suit from CG that works fine for my purposes. I'm sure others will have suggestions on their favorites as well.

The bottom line on a rain suit for you is how it fits over your gear. I look for one that closes well around the wrists, ankles, and waist. It also helps to have a strap that goes under your boot to hold the legs down.

Rain gear is definitely a personal choice. I prefer the bib-type pants that cover part of my chest. And I cannot stand the boot straps, so go figure.

:)

I don't wear anything over my jacket, but instead use the rain liner provided with it.

I managed to purchase some Nelson-Rigg suits on clearance for $10 each. Been using them for over a year now.

You will see the rain coming. Pull over and put on the rain gear. If you can see others and others can see you, keep riding. If not, get safely off the road, preferably behind an abutment, and wait until it is safe to continue. Ride carefully, don't hydroplane. It's only a four hour ride (less if you really wanna have fun), you'll be fine, probably won't even get wet. Stop every hour and stretch, drink some water. Call us so we know you got there safely.

Especially if they are attached to an iPod...breaks up the monotony of a long ride.

Get some noise-canceling ones.

Put the bike in the back of a dually with a lot of lights. Just kidding. Sometimes I feel safer on my bike on the superslab around here on I10.

Could someone recommend some good rain gear? Something that is thin and easy to carry in the saddle bags?

Go to your local Walmart and get a 15 buck PVC rain jacket and pants. Or try a Navy/Army Surplus Store. These things work great, placed over your layers below. In the south, I can't help but think its no too cold this time of year.

Scott

3660rainsuit.gif

Which brings up a good question - what is the "go-no go" threshold for rain chance that will keep you pros off the bikes? 40%? 50%?
If it is raining when I walk outside to leave for work - I'll get in the car. If not, bike.

Latest posts