Tire Mileage (3500 ?!!!)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hisservant

Reaction score
I got a paltry 3500 miles out of my last set of rubber (Dunlop D220's). For the record, nobody is easier on tires than I am. I check the air pressure each time I ride (36 psi F&R, solo), and I seldom ride over 70 mph.

What mileage are the rest of you experiencing?

Blessings to you, because "God is love." 1 John 4:8,16

You will see some drastic distances reported from the same tire from different riders. I have always suspected that this is largely due to ones tolerance for going past the wear bars.

You will see some drastic distances reported from the same tire from different riders. I have always suspected that this is largely due to ones tolerance for going past the wear bars.
True................I now have just over 10K on my rear D220, and the steel is just about all the way around. I know I'm tempting fate :ph34r:

I suspect that your pressures are too low. Many longtime owners run 40F 44R. I also suspect your tires are punishing you for routinely riding too slow. (70 mph comment) This ain't no scooter.

Hisservant:

I recently went to Arkansas from Texas and had to buy a tire there to get home on. The rear Pirelli Strada went 3300 and was showing cord 1 inch wide and 14 inches long. We were riding very hard but that is weak in my opinion. I just installed a Michelin PR2 Load range B as several in my group run them and really like the compromise between handeling and wear. We will see how it does. <><

Hisservant:
I...had to buy a tire there to get home...The rear Pirelli Strada went 3300 and was showing cord 1 inch wide and 14 inches long...
The proper Pirelli Strada for the FJR should be a 180/55ZR-17 [SIZE=14pt]E[/SIZE]. If this is what you had and only got 3.3k miles something was drastically wrong. I've gotten ~12k miles out of each of the 3 sets of Stradas I've had. They were ridden hard, 2-up for >80% of the miles.

Hisservant:
I...had to buy a tire there to get home...The rear Pirelli Strada went 3300 and was showing cord 1 inch wide and 14 inches long...
The proper Pirelli Strada for the FJR should be a 180/55ZR-17 [SIZE=14pt]E[/SIZE]. If this is what you had and only got 3.3k miles something was drastically wrong. I've gotten ~12k miles out of each of the 3 sets of Stradas I've had. They were ridden hard, 2-up for >80% of the miles.

I dont know how you get that kind of mileage?...... I have never got any where near that. My stock Metzlers were completly gone at 5700. I expected the Strada to last at least that long but no dice. I did have the "E" tire on the bike and also purchased the "B" tire for the PR2- so we will see.

I do know most of the guys I ride with get some where around 4000 total out of a rear so maybe we ride harder than the average group.....

Not that this has any bearing on the overall conversation but my stock Metzler's have 3800 miles and look damn good. I'm riding to Hyder, AK in two weeks so we'll see where another 2300 miles puts them in the wear category.

True................I now have just over 10K on my rear D220, and the steel is just about all the way around. I know I'm tempting fate :ph34r:
Damn. That's really good mileage for the D220.

I just took off my rear D220. It wasn't showing steel belts yet, but was really close. 8306 miles on the tire. Still got the front D220 on w/9600 miles and probably another 1000 to go.

I run 40-42psi front, 42-44 psi rear.

And 08FJR4ME - you are baaaaad! I'll run a rear tire to the belts, but a front? No way. That thing must have been handling like crap.

The BT's are just crap front tires. I tried higher, lower pressure you name it look's dead at 4400. Read is good for at least 2k. I expect to get 6k out of tires, I never had the front wear out first like a friggin' triangle.