Tire Mileage (3500 ?!!!)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya mean like this!

Whew, silly me, I was thinking I should maybe be thinking about replacing this-

Picture017.jpg

The previous owner was running 36/34 psi. I've upped the psi to 42/40.

I got 5k miles out of my rear 220, I had to run it at 38 psi, any more than that and it would tend to drift too far sideways, for my comfort level, after jumping over an obstruction, before grabbing the road. Because of this low pressure it had some cupping and the center tread was gone with lots left on the sides, and this was expected. Also, IMHO the 220 rode very hard at 40+psi, like it didn't seem to have much sidewall bounce. I ran a Roadsmart before this 220 and got about 9K miles out of it, with the last 4K or so progressively stinking. The 220 wore so fast I didnt' have time to get used to any consistent degradation, but it was getting worse for the last 2500 miles.

I'm trying a Pilot Road 2 now and so far am very impressed. This tire just inspires confidence and seems to be as great as the roadsmart was from the get go. I hope the Pilot's magic will last longer than the roadsmarts did.

I figure that I spend a little over 3 cents a mile on tires for the FJR, while I only spend about 7 cents a mile for gas, we need cheaper longer lived tires! Nah, I'm not going to the 'dark side'.

I'm going to put a plug in for my local shop here:

Cycle Sports of Salem Oregon, the rear pilot road 2 was $190 and they did the install from the bike for for $20 more, and this is their regular price.

I've never used them for anything but tires but this is pretty reasonable.

I think they also have a place in Eugene.

I'm at 9k on the original Bridgestone rear. I let the front get low on air and so had to replace it at about 6k; put a PR2 on the front, and it was hardly showing any wear when I hit some debris at 8800 and took a big chunk out of it. Insurance wanted the OEM tire, so I'm back to the Bridgestone now.

Based on what I've got from the rear so far, I'm expecting 12-14 out of it. I ride rather tame and almost only highway commute.

Mike

I'm at 9k on the original Bridgestone rear. I let the front get low on air and so had to replace it at about 6k; put a PR2 on the front, and it was hardly showing any wear when I hit some debris at 8800 and took a big chunk out of it. Insurance wanted the OEM tire, so I'm back to the Bridgestone now.
Based on what I've got from the rear so far, I'm expecting 12-14 out of it. I ride rather tame and almost only highway commute.

Mike
How do you get insurance to pay for a tire?

Honest, I don't know how this works.

haha...I was going through a toll booth (tool booth?) on one of the Bay Area bridges, and they have a drain right after them. The grate covering the drain had broken into chunks, presumably from an earlier vehicle. I was riding near the center of the lane, and suddenly there was this big brown thing in the roadway emerging from under the bumper of the car in front of me. I'm glad we were only going about 50 (I usually go through a LOT faster than that, when nobody's in front of me).

The chunk I hit was about 18" wide, 6" long and a full 2" deep. It was cast iron, and weighed over 20 lbs. My front tire kicked it up where it hit the body panel on the bottom, it also hit the shifter and pedal, and then hit the center stand and exhaust. It tore the center stand nearly into two pieces and cruhed the muffler to the point that it was nearly pinched off...less than 1/3 flow by my guessing.

I didn't go down, just hit the thing and cringed at the sounds and bumps on the bike, and then there was this big "thunk" over my left shoulder. That was the chunk of steel I had kicked up hitting the guard rail between the two directions of traffic. That's when I decided to pull over, and found all the damage.

So, to avoid a thread-jacking, *that's* how you get insurance to pay for a new front tire.

Last edited by a moderator: