Tire Mileage (3500 ?!!!)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a paltry 3500 miles out of my last set of rubber (Dunlop D220's). For the record, nobody is easier on tires than I am. I check the air pressure each time I ride (36 psi F&R, solo), and I seldom ride over 70 mph.
What mileage are the rest of you experiencing?

Blessings to you, because "God is love." 1 John 4:8,16

PM sent

Why on earth would you run 36 psi in your tires? No wonder you got such low miles.

Also, I have run 2 sets of Pirelli Stradas. Both rears were not the longer wearing E codes (long story). In boith cases I got more than 6k miles from the rears and >10k on each front. But I did have them inflated properly (40 front, 42 rear).

You may think that 6 psi difference is not a big deal. But you'd be very wrong. The tire will run a lot hotter at 36 psi than at 42. Heat is the enemy of tire longevity.

You have received the word of the forum. Now go forth and follow the word...

Hisservant:
I...had to buy a tire there to get home...The rear Pirelli Strada went 3300 and was showing cord 1 inch wide and 14 inches long...
The proper Pirelli Strada for the FJR should be a 180/55ZR-17 [SIZE=14pt]E[/SIZE]...I've gotten ~12k miles out of each of the 3 sets of Stradas I've had. They were ridden hard, 2-up for >80% of the miles.
I dont know how you get that kind of mileage?...... I have never got any where near that....I did have the "E" tire on the bike...I do know most of the guys I ride with get some where around 4000 total out of a rear so maybe we ride harder than the average group.....
I don't think my rear tires could have been ridden much harder, the miles even include trips to New England Dragway. All tires before the Stradas returned 4k-6k miles.

I did note your TX location, perhaps a combination of extreme heat and type of road surface contributed to your low miles/tire. Those AZ and NV guys see some wicked temps too.

My OEM Metzlers only gave me 5500 before they were too unsafe for me to trust, even though there was still some 'meat' left. The rear tire was 'very' squared off. Bike handling while crossing over this 'edge' during turn navigation was unpredictable, especially two-up. :confusedsmiley:

Last edited by a moderator:
I should also add for my tires that I did use the recommended inflation values of 40 / 42 and I always fill my tires with nitrogen as I get it free at work. Maybe I just had a soft one or a one-off defect? Who knows....... My stock metz went 5800 miles in the rear but some of that was break-in and getting used to the bike. The Diablo's were ridden HARD from day 1. I will say this about the Diablo's, they were excellent handeling tires: very stable in corners and tracked perfectly especially high-speed.......well maybe a mile or two over the speed limit but never more than that. My GPS has read 155 before but I am certain that this was a glitch as I seldom ever exceed the posted ; )

Why on earth would you run 36 psi in your tires? No wonder you got such low miles.
Well, probably because he's got a Gen I and that's what the Yamaha FJR rider's manual specifies (for < 198 lbs., total weight)?

Also, I have run 2 sets of Pirelli Stradas. Both rears were not the longer wearing E codes (long story). In boith cases I got more than 6k miles from the rears and >10k on each front. But I did have them inflated properly (40 front, 42 rear).
Proper, maybe, for Pirellis -- but, not for the recco'd tires (by Yamaha) for the FJR, as per rider's manual (36/36, Gen I; 39/42, Gen II).

You may think that 6 psi difference is not a big deal. But you'd be very wrong. The tire will run a lot hotter at 36 psi than at 42. Heat is the enemy of tire longevity.
It would better illustrate concepts such as these if quantatative values where added to the discussion. When terms like "hot" ("a lot hotter") are used -- please try to provide a temperature number (in fahrenheit for 'colonials'). As physics gas laws tell us, the pressure of a contained gas varies directly with the temperature. Altho the topic (here) is ultimate mileage, there are other considerations when it comes to concepts like: traction and 'handling'.... :unsure:

You have received the word of the forum. Now go forth and follow the word...
Or not....? :unsure:

Hmmm... So, you think 36 psi is the right pressure then, CMF?

Is that it, or do you just feel like messing with me (yet again)?

You don't suppose that maybe Yamaha realized they screwed up with those suggested pressures in the 1st gen owners manuals, do you? Kinda like that goofy oil drain plug torque spec?

Or did they later radically change the recommended tire pressures because the 2nd gen bike is so much different, is that it?

And no, before you say it, I do not think a 3% increase in weight (29 lbs on a 612 lb bike) explains a 16% increase in recommended tire pressure.

Also, consider that even the '05 Service Specs lists published by Yamaha, available for download from their web site, lists the nominal rear tire pressure at 39 psi (not 36). Still not high enough, IMO, but closer at least.

So tell us, what tire pressures do you use and what temperature are they running at?

You know, in degrees F for all those colonials. :rolleyes:

'Fred W': let's keep this above personal attacks, shall we...? :rolleyes:

Facts are facts: and I think the Gen II is about 50 lbs heavier? :unsure: And has different geometry with its longer rear swinging arm. Also has different suspension units.

The OP has a Gen I and Yamaha must know something about tire selection and pressures....? :huh:

I have no clue as to what MamaYama thinks -- but, think the word "hot" requires a number along with it (especially when so much emphasis is being applied to the 'pressure' number...).

They are related. :eek:

You will see some drastic distances reported from the same tire from different riders. I have always suspected that this is largely due to ones tolerance for going past the wear bars.
True................I now have just over 10K on my rear D220, and the steel is just about all the way around. I know I'm tempting fate :ph34r:
And you guys give me grief for running a car tire!! "just about all the way around", eh? You're waiting for the rubber to grow back? ;)

D220s have never been know for long life.

'Fred W': let's keep this above personal attacks, shall we...? :rolleyes: Facts are facts: and I think the Gen II is about 50 lbs heavier? :unsure: And has different geometry with its longer rear swinging arm. Also has different suspension units.

The OP has a Gen I and Yamaha must know something about tire selection and pressures....? :huh:

I have no clue as to what MamaYama thinks -- but, think the word "hot" requires a number along with it (especially when so much emphasis is being applied to the 'pressure' number...).

They are related. :eek:
No personal attacks from this end. Just responding to your refuting everything I said.

From the "FJR matrix":

1st Gen (w/ ABS) dry: 553lbs

2nd Gen (w/ABS) dry: 582 lbs

Difference = 29 lbs.

Add ~60 lbs to each for the total wet curb weights since you can't ride one dry.

I still say that if 40/42 is good for a 2nd gen it's good for a 1st gen. I say that the Yamaha Operators manual for 1st gen is wrong and that anyone that runs their tires that soft, must be willing to forgo tire wear in favor of maximum traction.

I stated previously that tire heat is the enemy of tire mileage. I think we can agree on that, right?

Also, as you correctly said, tire heat build up and cold tire pressure are related. So we agree there.

For the purposes of this discussion, the actual measured heat value is not as important as the relative relationships. Point being that a hotter tire will wear faster than a cold one and a lower pressure tire will develop more heat. So if you are trying to get more wear from a tire, the way to do that is to increase tire pressure.

And finally, yes, as you correctly point out, tire friction (traction) is inversely proportional to pressure, and directly proportional to tire heat. Again, the actual numbers don';t matter as much as the interrelationships.

So where did I screw up?

And you guys give me grief for running a car tire!! "just about all the way around", eh? You're waiting for the rubber to grow back? ;)
D220s have never been know for long life.

I never did................I'm actually considering it myself. As for me and my D220, call me cheap, but tires up here are pricey (although I have only bought mine from down south) so I'm just tryin' to get the most out of it.........ergo, my reason for thinking of joining the "darkside".......

I'm also trying to set a record for mileage on a rear D220 !!!!!!!

Just changed out my rear z6 to a new one after 13015 miles. Probably could have got a few hundred more but the center was getting soft when I pulled it. Got 11000 out of the front. I don't burn rubber or do wheelies and such. I guess the roads are soft in Louseyana.

<snip>...I stated previously that tire heat is the enemy of tire mileage. I think we can agree on that, right?
I don't think so? :unsure:

Would you attempt to 'cool' them in an effort to get more mileage?

From a 'net site:

(M/C)Treaded Road Tyres ... Operating Temperature usually ranges between 185 - 212 degrees Fahrenheit

Also, as you correctly said, tire heat build up and cold tire pressure are related. So we agree there.For the purposes of this discussion, the actual measured heat value is not as important as the relative relationships. Point being that a hotter tire will wear faster than a cold one and a lower pressure tire will develop more heat. So if you are trying to get more wear from a tire, the way to do that is to increase tire pressure.
Well, if measured pressure is important? and pressure and temperature are related -- then it follows (if someone mentions "a lot hotter") a temperature reading would seem appropriate? :unsure:

And finally, yes, as you correctly point out, tire friction (traction) is inversely proportional to pressure, and directly proportional to tire heat. Again, the actual numbers don';t matter as much as the interrelationships.
I didn't say that -- I said: "there are other considerations when it comes to concepts like: traction and 'handling'"

So where did I screw up?
I don't know? :unsure:

I was just asking for a 'quantitative value' for your 'qualitative': "a lot hotter".... :( :huh:

I didn't say that -- I said: "there are other considerations when it comes to concepts like: traction and 'handling'"
Right, so while traction will be inversely proportional to tire pressure (within normal ranges) handling is a far more nebulous term. I do not think handling on the FJR is improved by running soft tires, and I consider 36 psi to be soft. There is a sweet spot where handling, traction and wear are all reasonably well balanced, and in my limited experience that is right around 39F/42R.

So where did I screw up?
I don't know? :unsure:

I was just asking for a 'quantitative value' for your 'qualitative': "a lot hotter".... :( :huh:
But it is nearly impossible to put numbers on a moving target like tire heat. There are far too many other variables besides just tire pressure that go into it: the individual tire(s) being used, road surface being run on, ambient temperature, road surface temperature, etc., etc. I suppose that racers who use IR thermometers between laps to monitor their rubber temps would have a good handle on what the best temps (and therefore pressures) are for them. But what's best for a racer isn't necessarily whats' good for a road rider.

I have Gen II. Always have run 39F 42R. 12,500 miles on OEM bridgestones. 15,000 Plus on first se of PRII's. Mostly highway commuting. Could have run either set 1000 miles more but they were getting squared off.

You don't suppose that maybe Yamaha realized they screwed up with those suggested pressures in the 1st gen owners manuals, do you? Kinda like that goofy oil drain plug torque spec?
can you PM me a PDF of the page with the new torque value for the drain plug? thanks in advance.

can you PM me a PDF of the page with the new torque value for the drain plug? thanks in advance.
AFAIK they have never admitted the mistake on the oil drain plug torque spec, or revised it.

The tire pressures were changed in the 2nd gen specs, but never revised for the 1st gens.