Tire Stand and Bead Breaking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I do eventual wear out my tires and I have been changing out my own for awhile now.

Issues that I would like to correct …

* I have been using a 5 gal. plastic bucket for a tire stand. It works pretty well on the rear tire, but the front tire rotor is a tad large.

The bucket is not as stable as I would prefer.

* I use 2 spoons to remove and replace the tires and have no problem with that method… HOWEVER - bead breaking is a real PITA.

My garage space and budget are limited.

Wondering also if anyone uses C-clamps for bead breaking (?)

For $60 I have seen the small stand with a bead breaker attached (?)

Also, Does anyone use a metal barrel for a stand? If so do you have a source?

Thanks

… and before you all shake your heads in disgust - My current rear tire has 21,700 miles and the front has 2k more
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gotten barrels from petroleum distributors. They used to give them away. C-clamps work and I used to keep an old style bumper jack around for a bead breaker. If you have any kind of a work bench a husky piece of threaded rod and a few homemade adapters make a workable tire stand.

Have a look at the videos at No Scuff Tire Tools plenty of good ideas there.
I used these ideas and attached it to a Jawhorse work station (Lowes). Also fashioned a bead breaker from some aluminum stock laying around. I have used it for the front, have not yet changed the rear. I used the spoons, may try to get a no=mar bar some time.

21,700?? What tire was it?
PR 2

I think he had it on a trailer or a pick-up
This tire (Rear) was mounted by HRZ in Albq, NM for the 2015 IBR. did the IBR 11.4k, rode back to WPB, FL where it did local riding.

Then rode to Venice, LA for the start of the Miss. Headwaters ride to Lake Itasca, MN, south to Iowa, over to CFO, back to Florida, local

riding, SS1k in the Florida Keys, local riding, Orlando (AIMExpo), RTE Sebring, and Wednesday to Tampa & back…

The front was mounted BEFORE leaving Florida for the IBR.

Freakish Tire- Still rolling!

I built a square out of 2x4s that the inside was made slightly larger than the rear disc. Keep the disc off the floor nicely. A old bumperjack used with it breaks even the most stubborn beads. Then just spoon away. BTW spray silicone is the greatest stuff to aid REMOVAL of the tire from rim.

If you can use a heavy duty plastic drum instead of metal try your local newspaper. I was in the printinfg field for more years than I care to remember and we got a lot of our press chemicals in 55 gallon plastic drums.

How are you guys using a bumper jack to break the bead? I'm missing something in my mental picture...
Maybe something like this...

I regret to say I watched that video.

Over the years and over the miles I've had quite a few tyres changed in several shops. Not once have I ever noticed a scratch on a wheel's paintwork.

I think I'll continue to pay someone to do it for me.

I've seen a YouTube video where a guy made a stand out of an old 13" car wheel padded with rubber hose. I can't find the video, but I did find a photo. Gotta love Google ;)

holder2.JPG

I've seen a YouTube video where a guy made a stand out of an old 13" car wheel padded with rubber hose. I can't find the video, but I did find a photo. Gotta love Google
wink.png

holder2.JPG
That's what I used bolted onto my workbench, with large c-clamps to break the bead. It worked, but was a chore. Later, I got a Cycle Hill changer and have it bolted to the garage floor. Much easier tire changes now.

I have used furniture clamps to break the front bead, but they won't do the rear.

Once I started, I got desperate to finish, I ended up putting the tire on its side, under the jacked-up front wheel of my car, bike wheel support on wooden blocks to protect the rotor, and letting the car down gently.

THAT. is redneck engineering!