Tires: Mounting & Balancing; Mileage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hisservant

Reaction score
Man, purchasing new tires and having them mounted and balanced, is getting expensive! I spent $315 on two Dunlop Roadmasters last week, and I took the wheels in (it would have been over $400 if I hadn't). Also, that was the best price I could find in the Denver metro area.

To add insult to injury, I only got 3500 miles off my last set of Dunlop D220's!

I am interested in hearing from some of you who mount and balance your own tires - specifically in relation to how difficult it is, and how to go about it.

Also, what kind of mileage are you folks getting out of your tires?

Thanks, and blessings to you, because "God is love." 1 John 4:8,16

Man, purchasing new tires and having them mounted and balanced, is getting expensive! I spent $315 on two Dunlop Roadmasters last week, and I took the wheels in (it would have been over $400 if I hadn't). Also, that was the best price I could find in the Denver metro area.
To add insult to injury, I only got 3500 miles off my last set of Dunlop D220's!

I am interested in hearing from some of you who mount and balance your own tires - specifically in relation to how difficult it is, and how to go about it.

The hardcore folks use spoons and some kind of homemade bead breaker. When I put my old set of spoons on the FJR tire I bent it in half. I am currently using a Harbor Freight changer, like a lot of people on the forum. It's cheap, but can be made to work:

1) You have to modify the clamps somehow so they do not hurt the rim. Many people use a strip of rubber, after going that route I just ordered a set of mojoblocks.

2) You will need a new bar. There a couple of options out there, the mojolever is popular as is the no mar one.

A spendier option is the no mar changer. The reviews on this one a are very favorable. No mar also makes a cheaper version called the cycle hill changer which has had some good reviews. How much do you want to spend? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
A hearty +1 Gunny! to what v65 wrote. I bet he also bought the Marc Parnes balancer, but missed it.

My math was that I needed to mount and balance about 7 tires to pay off what was about a $400 investment.

A dozen tires later I find it was a great investment that's also much more convenient than repeated trips to the dealer...plus I can spoon on used tires and get all the life out of them I hoped for.

You get the same mileage home mounted as professional mounted (go read Best of NEPRT if you want the often talked about mileages)....and maybe a better balanced tire. The Marc Parnes get's down to sub 7 gram balance pretty easily.

Here's some reading for you: tire changer site:fjrforum.com

Hisservant, Next time call Moto Fix (720-470-4802). He works out of his garage over on Green Mountain. He doesn't care where you buy the tires from and has all the best tire equipment. Also John is a good mechanic. Dealers around here would rather have you walk away if you bought the tires somewhere else,especially on the Net!

I just bought a set of Roadsmarts from CycleGear. They were on sale and the local CycleGear charges $20 for mounting and balancing if you buy the tire from them. At 8,000 miles a set (both my OEM and first set of Roadsmarts lasted 8K miles) and $40 a set it's hard to justify the money for tire changers although the convienence would be nice.

And if you decide to changes tires youself, don't forget the lube. A good lube gets the bead into the center of the wheel and helps it keep it there making the changing process a little easier. There are plenty of tire changing threads; read them, then make your decision on whether you want to take the leap. Usually the first change is a learning process, and subsequent changes, get easier (less difficult anyway).

I use this:

https://www.wikco.com/coats220.html

Pricey, but I was able to share the expense with a friend who also does track days. It is well worth it and makes changing tires a breeze. We got it because we were swapping tires before and after every track day since we were using our track bikes for commuting also. Using tire irons got old real fast.

Whatever method or machine you use, get the tire warmed up before you start. It makes the rubber more pliable. Use some Tire Slick, and make sure the bead is in the "drop center" of the rim. I've saved hundreds of dollars mounting and balancing myself.

I own a coats 220 and the marce parnes balancer. At the time of purchase the No-mar was not available. Maybe I would have decided on the nomar given the choice at the time.

My investment was about 1000.00 dollars. A well spent grand at this point.

As the owner of three bikes, VFR800, FJR1300 and KLR650 I am always changing tires on one or the other. Plus factor in how many freinds you will have just triples the value.

I have made a mark on the 4x4 plywood platform that the changer sits on each time a tire gets changed. So far I am at 87 tires for myself and others. At 25 bucks a pop minimum that equates to at least $2175 in labor cost alone.

factor in the conveniance and your off the charts.

I keep a new set of street rubber in stock and never have to wait in the event I have a failure. And trust me when I tell you that for some crazy reason my FJR rear has been punctured before the 3k mark the last 3 tires in a row.

No sweat though. A quick Stop-n-go plug gets me home and an hour later Im gone on new tires.

If your not ready to spring for the cost of a quality changer set up alone, get your buds that ride to chip in and become co-owners. You will not be sorry after the very first tire swap in the comfort of your own garage.

Hisservant, Next time call Moto Fix (720-470-4802). He works out of his garage over on Green Mountain. He doesn't care where you buy the tires from and has all the best tire equipment. Also John is a good mechanic. Dealers around here would rather have you walk away if you bought the tires somewhere else,especially on the Net!
Thanks a lot Pilot. I am not sure where Green Mountain is, or how far it is from Castle Rock, but I'll sure give John a call.

I just bought a set of Roadsmarts from CycleGear. They were on sale and the local CycleGear charges $20 for mounting and balancing if you buy the tire from them. At 8,000 miles a set (both my OEM and first set of Roadsmarts lasted 8K miles) and $40 a set it's hard to justify the money for tire changers although the convienence would be nice.
I am perplexed, to say the least. At 8000 miles, you have twice gotten over double my last figure of 3500. I check my tire pressure prior to each ride, and seldom ride over 70-75. What more can a person do?

Go figure!

Thanks a lot Pilot. I am not sure where Green Mountain is, or how far it is from Castle Rock, but I'll sure give John a call.

Green Mountain is just east of Bandermere's race track. Take Alemeda east to Bear Creek Drive go north a few blocks. Easy to find. He runs a full service from the house.

I am perplexed, to say the least. At 8000 miles, you have twice gotten over double my last figure of 3500. I check my tire pressure prior to each ride, and seldom ride over 70-75. What more can a person do?

Go figure!
Well, I'm not sure how I get the mileage I do - part of it is being older and wiser and not going WOT to redline through the first 3 gears like I use to. Well, at least I don't do that very often. Part of it is probably living in the armpit great plains of the country with very few fun twisty roads. I'm pretty sure that if I was living in or around mountains I'd wear out the sides of my tires before I wear out the center. Well, either that or I'd be dead - take your pick. :D

Hisservant,

I put on a set of Pilot Road 2's at 23,700 miles. I am now just shy of 42,000 miles. That's 14,700 miles and they still have lots of miles left in them. I'm not prone to heavy acceleration/decelration, however I cruise at or around 80-85 mph. I have a new set of Roadsmarts on deck, but these Michelins just won't wear out.

Bananas!

Hisservant,I put on a set of Pilot Road 2's at 23,700 miles. I am now just shy of 42,000 miles. That's 14,700 miles and they still have lots of miles left in them. I'm not prone to heavy acceleration/decelration, however I cruise at or around 80-85 mph. I have a new set of Roadsmarts on deck, but these Michelins just won't wear out.

Bananas!
+1 to that. My PRII's lasted over 15K miles with the last set. You need to up your pressure. Where'd you come up with those numbers for pressure? They are neither the tire manufacturers recopmended nor the FJR manual's ! 42 rear and 39 front. You're too soft with your pressures.

Hisservant,I put on a set of Pilot Road 2's at 23,700 miles. I am now just shy of 42,000 miles. That's 14,700 miles and they still have lots of miles left in them. I'm not prone to heavy acceleration/decelration, however I cruise at or around 80-85 mph. I have a new set of Roadsmarts on deck, but these Michelins just won't wear out.

Bananas!
+1 to that. My PRII's lasted over 15K miles with the last set. You need to up your pressure. Where'd you come up with those numbers for pressure? They are neither the tire manufacturers recopmended nor the FJR manual's ! 42 rear and 39 front. You're too soft with your pressures.
DC,

Who are you referring to with the too soft pressures? I just re-read every thread in this post and no one's mentioned what pressures they run.

You spraying tequila outta your "Back Off" device??? :)