Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Blade

I need to replace the tires on my 03 FJR, and assume the OE is the way to go, or has something better come along? It came with Metzeler MEZ 4's.

Please advise.

Blade

on my 09

front

Metzelers Road Tec Z6G

7,872 miles

rear

Bridgestone

BT021RF

Not a knee dragger, just like to ride....

I need to replace the tires on my 03 FJR, and assume the OE is the way to go, or has something better come along?
good time to replace them/there tires.

In your shoes, I'd choose either the newer Michelin Pilot Road 2's or the Avon Storm Ultra 2's.

Michelin is more common among vendors; Avon has the better road warranty.

I've been happy with both the Shinko 005 and 009....please don't post an oppinion on these unless you have tried them.

PR2's are my favorites by far and probably the most mounted here

www.derbycycles.net seems to be a very attractive deal to obtain via mail order

google search "tires site:fjrforum.com"

google is your friend:

????? site:fjrforum.com

This is only my second set of tires so I don't have a lot to compare with. I went with the new bridgestones 023GT. My OEM's were the 021's and I got about 8500 miles out of them. I could have squeezed more of of the rear but the front tire was getting slick. The 023GT are supposed to get 15% more miles. We will see.

I almost crashed with the new tires. They made my bike feel so entirely different. I mean this in the best way. Felt like an entirly new ride. I have two S-curves I take out/in of my neighborhood. These are both 45* curves. My bike never felt this planted with the 021's. Unbeleivable how much better the bike handles. It just wants to lay over in the curves. Now I am a little worried about me make some really dumb decisions on how fast I can take a curve. Since I never speed let's just say I have picked up about 10-15 miles an hour around these curves. Spooky fast. I was thinking to tweek my suspension before I put these tires on but no need now. What would I do with more traction and control?

Maybe a little pricy in comparision to what I have seen on the forum but think tires are critical component to over all motorcycle performance. (and cars)

BGH60

DUNLOP 616 IS THE ONLY WAY TO FLY!!!!
Yep....that's the one I use! :p

903mnq.jpg

What's the best way to get mail order tires mounted and balanced? I assume my dealer won't want to do this if he didn't sell me the tires.

What's the best way to get mail order tires mounted and balanced? I assume my dealer won't want to do this if he didn't sell me the tires.
mine will (down in Colorado Springs). Something around $25/wheel if I bring it in already off the bike. There will be a $3 tire disposal fee...can't remember if that's included in the $25 price or not. Sadly, it's been a while since I've needed a new tire.

Don't assume, ask your dealer. In fact ask if he can match (or real close to) mail order tires. Many will or at least take your money to mount them.

My Honda dealer will do any tires I bring in for around 25 each.

Don't assume, ask your dealer. In fact ask if he can match (or real close to) mail order tires. Many will or at least take your money to mount them.

My Honda dealer will do any tires I bring in for around 25 each.
My Honda dealer will also mount any tire I bring him, including a car tire, for $23 if I take the wheel off.