To AE or not to AE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I tested the AE (AS here in Chile, Yamaha sell the European version) I was concerned about U-turns and slow manoeuvres, then I realize all the test in small streets and did many stop and go, U-turns, etc.

For me was instantaneous to get the trick, in a minute I felt totally confident with the YCCS. At speed no difference at all.

Anyway normally I don't use the clutch to shift.

After 30,000 miles on my 03 FJR I signed up for the FJR-AE when they came out in 06. Now after riding it a year, I like it. It is different in that it requires good throttle control (versus clutch control) for slow speed maneuvers. I use the the fore finger for both up and down shifting and find that holding the throttle steady and just pulling the lever to upshift is best. Chop the throttle for downshifting and it's ALWAYS smooth with the ECU matching clutch slipping to wheel speed and RPM prohibiting wheel lock-up. Pretty cool.

After riding the AE for a while, when I get on another bike I am always flicking with my finger for the first couple of minutes. I guess I don't really like one more than the other, they are just different. As YAMAHA used to say "different strokes, for different folks". For a good look go to: https://www.pdxbiker.com/?p=145

Be sure and get the slideshow at the bottom.

SteveF

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday turned 26K on my 06 AE. The more I ride it the more I am happy to have it. Honestly, I bought it to test out the concept of paddle shifting and heat control improvements on the 06 FJR. I also have an 05 FJR non-ABS which I have nearly 60k miles. Both the FJRs have given me many great rides in rallies and IBA rides.

Are there times the manual clutch come is a control advantage? Yes. Does the paddle shifter AE make it a difficult bike to control in all riding conditions? No.

If Yamaha or other companies latch on to the paddle shifting concept, then I will closely look at them when it is time for a new ride.