To AE or not to AE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the AE. If you are looking for performance, than get the A. If you live near a big city like I do, with a lot of stop lights than get the AE. Either way you may want to wait for the 08. They made enough changes that I'm thinking about trading in my 06.

I went back to the Yammy dealership today, for the 3rd time in over a month. The sales guy just laughed when he saw me. He's waiting for me to buy so he can use the money to pay off his bike..haha.
I really like the idea of not having to shift. When thinking about buying the AE I have a concern with low-speed manuevering and being able to take off from a stop w/out having a time/torque delay. Plus I'm not a big fan of the 07 AE color. I like the black chery better than the AE non-color. Actually, whatever I buy I'm probably gonna have repainted to a deep red color with stripes on the side.

I saw an 07 Suzuki Blvd M109 with a beautiful red... that's the red I love on a bike. You have to see it in person.

https://www.suzukicycles.com/products/M109RK7/Default.aspx

The dealer has both A and AE. Both are discounted. The sales guy said he's ridden the AE and that it's great not having to clutch. Anyway, now that I know which bike I want, I have to figure out if I wanna clutch or not. Guess I'll have to spend more time reading on this forum. :yahoo:

I would buy an AE again, i love it.
It took me some practice, but I have become good at slow speed turns. I can even do the u-turn box now. Learning to shift the AE is easy, learning the throttle control takes some time. Before I had this bike I was able to use the throttle and cluth to make things happen. However, without the clutch it takes some time to learn the process. Not to knock any one here, but I think it is almost imposslbe for anyone to master this bike in less then 2-weeks of rideing. The Demo rides are nice. But, it takes longer then a ride or two to learn the throttle control for slow speed.
+1

Everyone who's seen it and has me describe the AE shift procedure tells me it's cool. I love it.

Shop your local Credit Union for a loan - you'll save on interest rates.

If you think about buying the AE because it's different and may be a cool thing to own, don't buy it for that reason. If you ride your bike in a lot of traffic all of the time, you may want to consider the AE. I personally think the person who owns the AE Model owns one because they wanted it to begin with. They have considered the cost and option of the YCCS as well as learning something completely new, the AE will require the rider to adapt to it's function and how it operates. There are a few things to learn, and a few things to get used to, this system allows the rider to hop on and ride as they would normally but it really is a lot more different than someone may think it is.

If you are a rider who just wants to hop on and ride without having to learn the basics of the YCCS, and don't want to think about what can go wrong with all of the electronics assoiated with the AE's operating system, buy yourself the A Model.

If you really find yourself thinking about which one to buy and can't seem to put your finger on exactly why you want to buy the AE Model, buy the A Model. I own an AE myself and I think the operation is cool, but that was after learning how this system is different and how it works compaired to a clutch. I am now totally happy with why and what my bike does, how it operates, and how different the bike is with the YCCS System. Sure you can hop on and ride it from the beginning, but I will venture to say it may take upwards of 1000 miles of continueous riding to actually know and feel what the bike is doing during slow manuvers, as well as downshifting and making a slow turn at a traffic light. You must always remember when making a slow turm there is no clutch to bail you out if you give the bike too much throttle when making any slow turn.

There really is a lot to learn. If I had it to do all over again I would buy the A Model, just to get away from another system that could fail later in the bikes life and end up costing me a ton of money well after the warranty is over and done with. But I would definately miss the AE.

Good Luck with your decision.

If you think about buying the AE because it's different and may be a cool thing to own, don't buy it for that reason. If you ride your bike in a lot of traffic all of the time, you may want to consider the AE. I personally think the person who owns the AE Model owns one because they wanted it to begin with. They have considered the cost and option of the YCCS as well as learning something completely new, the AE will require the rider to adapt to it's function and how it operates. There are a few things to learn, and a few things to get used to, this system allows the rider to hop on and ride as they would normally but it really is a lot more different than someone may think it is.
If you are a rider who just wants to hop on and ride without having to learn the basics of the YCCS, and don't want to think about what can go wrong with all of the electronics assoiated with the AE's operating system, buy yourself the A Model.

If you really find yourself thinking about which one to buy and can't seem to put your finger on exactly why you want to buy the AE Model, buy the A Model. I own an AE myself and I think the operation is cool, but that was after learning how this system is different and how it works compaired to a clutch. I am now totally happy with why and what my bike does, how it operates, and how different the bike is with the YCCS System. Sure you can hop on and ride it from the beginning, but I will venture to say it may take upwards of 1000 miles of continueous riding to actually know and feel what the bike is doing during slow manuvers, as well as downshifting and making a slow turn at a traffic light. You must always remember when making a slow turm there is no clutch to bail you out if you give the bike too much throttle when making any slow turn.

There really is a lot to learn. If I had it to do all over again I would buy the A Model, just to get away from another system that could fail later in the bikes life and end up costing me a ton of money well after the warranty is over and done with. But I would definately miss the AE.

Good Luck with your decision.
Bought an AE last week. $14.2 OTD with 5 years YES. I've ridden clutched bikes for 30 years, but love this thing. I know people think that if you just plonked down $14k you are not going to admit to making a mistake, but honestly I couldn't care less about admitting it if I thought I'd done the wrong thing. This thing rocks. Plain and simple it's great. It does take some learning - I've only done 350 miles and still make mistakes - like shifting down instead of up, but overall I'm happy. In LA in traffic it rocks. There are many people who can't do a decent u-turn on any kind of bike and will tell you that the AE makes it harder. However as a police driver for over a decade and having trained in the UK police and the US police I can tell you that it's all about practice. Anyone who can flip around a big heavy bike for a u-turn can do it (after practice) with an AE. I'll be on the ride on Sept 29th (or is it 26th I forget? - but its north of LA somewhere) anyway if you want to ride my AE you are welcome. Hope this helps.

... I really like the idea of not having to shift. ...
You still have to shift, but it's less effort.
... When thinking about buying the AE I have a concern with low-speed manuevering ...
Takes some getting used to. Personally I'd prefer a manual for low speed manoeuvres, but you learn to do it OK.
... and being able to take off from a stop w/out having a time/torque delay. ...
It's awesome - just open the throttle, and the only skill to get the maximum the bike is capable of is stopping the rear wheel from spinning up or keeping the front wheel down. No, the ultimate acceleration is not quite as good as the 'A', but you can achieve it every time.
... it's great not having to clutch. ...
That's why I got mine (called the "AS" not the "AE" for some strange reason here in the UK). My left little finger suffers from arthritis and I couldn't use the clutch without considerable pain on my previous mount.
As others have said, get an AE because you have a problem with a conventional clutch lever, either because you do a lot of commuting in traffic or because you have a disability. If you really want it because you like the colour, or because the dealer makes you an offer you can't refuse, that's OK as well, you get used to the differences from a conventional one.

And it's funny taking off from lights next to another bike, and your left hand is on your hip. :rolleyes:

... I really like the idea of not having to shift. ...
You still have to shift, but it's less effort.
... When thinking about buying the AE I have a concern with low-speed manuevering ...
Takes some getting used to. Personally I'd prefer a manual for low speed manoeuvres, but you learn to do it OK.
... and being able to take off from a stop w/out having a time/torque delay. ...
It's awesome - just open the throttle, and the only skill to get the maximum the bike is capable of is stopping the rear wheel from spinning up or keeping the front wheel down. No, the ultimate acceleration is not quite as good as the 'A', but you can achieve it every time.
... it's great not having to clutch. ...
That's why I got mine (called the "AS" not the "AE" for some strange reason here in the UK). My left little finger suffers from arthritis and I couldn't use the clutch without considerable pain on my previous mount.
As others have said, get an AE because you have a problem with a conventional clutch lever, either because you do a lot of commuting in traffic or because you have a disability. If you really want it because you like the colour, or because the dealer makes you an offer you can't refuse, that's OK as well, you get used to the differences from a conventional one.

And it's funny taking off from lights next to another bike, and your left hand is on your hip. :rolleyes:
I have a scafo-lunate ligament seperation in my left wrist as well as arthritis. My AE really helps in this regard. As others have said, there's a learning curve with the AE, but, once learned, it's very convenient. I like it. If I ever wanted to, I'm sure it would be no problem converting it to standard clutch operation. This idea has already been discussed on this forum.

I did reply earlier trying to give you an idea of what you may encounter when riding and learning how to operate the AE. I can honestly say this about the AE, I recently took a little trip to Ocean City Maryland for the annual Bike Week known as Delmarva Bike Week. I can say I thought there was upwards of 250,000 motorcycles there this past weekend, it may have been more or less but lets just say there were a load of motorcycles on the roads in and around Ocean City.

This trip consisted of 20 or so bikes in our group, most of them Harley's (go figure). One thing I noticed was how people operated their bikes in traffic at speed and in lots of traffic. Most being of the Harley Badge were not so different when riding at speed on the highway, but put them in slow bumper to bumper traffic and a lot of these riders were all over the place. Granted I have ridden for a few years, and I know a few of the people in our group have ridden longer than I have. I found the AE with the way it shifts and feels along with the balance was outright awsome to ride in traffic, most of these big cumbersome bikes with the standard clutch were looking a little un-steady. I found as I could give the bike just enough throttle to activate the clutch along with a touch of rear brake, I could almost keep the bike in a steady up-right position almost to a complete stop and do this without hardly any effort at all.

Once we all parked and got off of the bikes to visit some of the booth's at a local Harley Dealer is when I noticed my Son-In-Law rubbing his left hand. I asked him if he was alright? He told me he had not been riding that much lately and his clutch hand was definately out of shape for riding in all of this traffic. While I was talking to him another one of our group was saying the same thing, their hand was cramped up to the point he needed a rest before they even attempted to ride in any more traffic to get to the Hotel where they were staying. Needless to say I didn't have that problem. (thanks AE)

The AE really showed me what a difference having this type of shifting makes while riding in wall to wall traffic. I was raised along with just about everybody else who started riding some type of motorcycle that had a clutch, you learned while going around a tight 180 degree turn you could keep the throttle steady and feather the clutch enough to make a smooth complete solid turn. On the AE I found this operation to be a little different because there is no clutch, I can keep the throttle slightly higher but steady while adding little rear brake to the mix while making this same turn. Either with or without a clutch any manuver can be made without successfully without any problems at all. The AE Model requires a rider you just have to think outside of the box a little more.

One major suggestion I would make concerning the AE if you do decide this is the Model you want. When parking the bike make absolutely sure the transmission is in the neutral position, I had something happen to me that scared the ever lovin crap out of me. I was backing into a spot and the bike was in 1st gear, as I turned to make sure I wasn't too close to a vehicle behind me My shirt sleeve caught the throttle minder and twisted the throttle. I found myself shooting forward while looking backward, I only moved 2 to 3 feet and no damage was done. I now make sure the bike is in neutral until it's completely parked, once in position I put the bike back into gear and turn the ignition off. The AE will lock into gear (but it has to be in a gear for that to happen) after about 15 seconds it's completely locked (I rock the bike to make sure it is locked) this won't allow the bike to be rolled either way.

Again, Good Luck on your search

I love my AE. I agree there is a learning curve. Not having a clutch to feather on my first u turn on a 20ft wide street caught me off guard. Not that I dropped it or anything but it was the first time it accured to me that I had no manual clutch. Feathering the clutch in slow riding using the throttle becomes second nature very fast. I've been riding for 30 years and now I'm spoiled to the point that I don't think I will ever own another manual clutch bike again. All of the people I ride with are YAMA MAMA owners. All have R1's, R6's or Vmax's and all of them love my FJR. As others have mentioned, blasting off the line is a whole new experiance and not what you'd get out of an A model, but that, as far as I can tell is the one drawback. Personally I dont care about rocketing away from every light and thats what it comes down to. If thats a concern for you then stick with the A, but other then time off the line I dont see anything but advantages.

Good luck with your FJR. I'm sure you'll enjoy it either way you go.

... twisted the throttle. I found myself shooting forward ...
I let a friend try my bike. He's very experienced, a very good rider (police trained). He sat on the bike, started it, then did what many do to get a "feel" of the throttle, he blipped it. And shot forward. So warn anyone who might ride it not to blip the throttle when it's in gear!

... after about 15 seconds it's completely locked ...
3 seconds on my '06

Do any of the folks with an AE and also own/ride another motorcycle find themselves forgetting to clutch on their other bike or grabbing for it on the AE? Just wondering how much havoc this may cause, I do it all the time when I switch between driving my 2 cars, one is manual and other is an automatic.

Do any of the folks with an AE and also own/ride another motorcycle find themselves forgetting to clutch on their other bike or grabbing for it on the AE? Just wondering how much havoc this may cause, I do it all the time when I switch between driving my 2 cars, one is manual and other is an automatic.
Don't still own a clutch lever bike, however when I got my AS (AE), I decided to only use the hand switch to change gear. This means if I ever go to a levered bike, I won't accidentally change gear clutchlessly with my foot. I may still sit at the lights revving furiously, or stall when stopping :blink: ...

I adopt a similar technique when in a car; I normally drive a manual. When I use an automatic, I consciously plant my left foot on the floor (footrest, whatever), and this helps ensure I don't use it for moving off, gear changing, coming to rest. This seems to work OK for me. (Since this coincides with trips to the USA, it's another problem to add to your driving on the wrong side of the road over there :rolleyes: )

Don't still own a clutch lever bike, however when I got my AS (AE), I decided to only use the hand switch to change gear. This means if I ever go to a levered bike, I won't accidentally change gear clutchlessly with my foot. I may still sit at the lights revving furiously, or stall when stopping :blink: ...

I adopt a similar technique when in a car; I normally drive a manual. When I use an automatic, I consciously plant my left foot on the floor (footrest, whatever), and this helps ensure I don't use it for moving off, gear changing, coming to rest. This seems to work OK for me. (Since this coincides with trips to the USA, it's another problem to add to your driving on the wrong side of the road over there :rolleyes: )

i always thought that if i was between the white lines it didn't matter what side you were on :D

My Quad, Honda Rubicon, has a tranny that allows for full Automatic or electroninc 5 speed shifting. In the manual mode its very similar to the FJR in that you shift at the left handle bar. I've been bouncing back and forth between the quad and my last bike (Intruder 1400) for years and never had an issue with looking for a clutch where there wasnt one or visa versa. Now that Im on the AE it seems very natural to me.

JasonB, funny you should ask that question. Right after I purchased my FJRAE in March of this year there were a couple of times I had that very problem. I used to until very recently had owned a 05 Yamaha Venture, I climbed aboard that monster and had her running and ready to go. Needless to say I put the bike in gear without using the clutch.......That gets your attention real fast.

I also ride a Honda CBR1000F six speed. Once in a while I forget things like shifting down for first instead of up, forgetting to use the clutch for downshifts, etc. But it is not a big problem.

Dick Frederick

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my AE. Its awesome. Some learning curve, yes, but not bad at all.

I havent run into any problems going back and forth between regular bikes either. I think it helps to shift with the hand shifter. That way I havent lost my foot reflexes.

Also, I would recommend the throttle mods and TB sync if you do get an AE. helps throttle control for even smoother shifts at low speed.

Low speed is cake if you modulate your speed with the rear brake. Much easier than with a standard clutch. Just need to use the right technique.