To AE or not to AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lake Effect

Reaction score
I have been trying to decide if I even want an FJR and my friend that owns one won't quit badgering me until I get one. So the other day I go to a dealer and start looking at an A model. Then the dealer says they've got an AE for a little more. Both are appealing and the AE is intriguing. I am a traditionalist when it comes to clutching so I wasn't too warm to the idea of a no clutch lever setup but ya never know. The question I have is, what is the general consensus on the AE here on the forum?

Interesting, but I wouldn't get one. I like to row my own. I'd only get one if I thought it performed better than the FJR or only commuted in hilly terrain or stop and go. They work very well though from the 60 miles I rode one.

The question I have is, what is the general consensus on the AE here on the forum?
The concensus is there's no consensus. :D

Those that have AEs seem to be happy with them. Those of us with the As typically wouldn't have it any other way. I personally do a LOT of slow speed tight turn riding and use precise throttle and cluch control to do it. I can't imagine not being in control of how much clutch slip to give it and when.

My first thought is, don't let your friend steer you into a FJR unless you want one. There's lots of bikes out there that you might like better. But if you've decided the FJR is for you, and now you're just pondering the AE vs A issue...

I was in the same boat a couple of months ago. Traded in my '05, looking to upgrade to an '07. Looked at the AE and A. I like gadgets, so the AE looked sort of interesting to me. But I figured if I bought it, then found I didn't like it, I'd take one hell of a hit trying to sell it. Possibly making an expensive mistake. Plus the AE represented higher complexity, and possibility more parts to break.

On the other hand, buying an "A" model, I knew exactly what I was getting into.

Looking back I know I made the right decision. I enjoy having full control over applying power to the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you live in an area with a lot of stop light, or stop and go traffic like I do. Get the AE. There's plus's and minus's with both, but I like me AE just fine.

i live out in the country but travel in town a good bit too. i went with the AE and so far i have no complaints, but i haven't had it but a couple of days so far lol

I purchased the AE model in May, '07. It wasn't much more when I figured the monthly cost. (I know, sucker move on my part).

I personally liked the color choice of the AE better. As far as performance, I like it a lot. It didn't take me long to get use to it, one time around the block. Of course, I hadn't ridden in about 10 years so clutching was somewhat out of my system.

I have no problem with slow maneuvering, although opinions will vary. If you can test ride both, do it, if not, go with whatever you like.

The shifting on this bike is very smooth. It is a clutchless bike, not an automatic. You still have to up-shift and downshift.

Good luck...

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my AE and can't imagine ever owning another bike with a clutch.

I would recommend you go for a test ride on both and make up your own mind.

Getting opinions on personal choice is almost worthless as many who have NEVER ridden an AE will voice in they would never get one.

It kind of reminds me 4 or 5 years ago when everyone was asking whether or not to get ABS brakes .... many said they would never get an ABS brake bike and now many are trading their old non-ABS bike in for one with ABS :blink: !

Any how, you will get a great ride which ever bike you choose.

Safe riding!

Best Regards,

Shane

I have an 06 AE with 25k miles and I really like the bike. Also, I have an 05 non-AE with the conventional clutch lever and I really like it also.

Both are great bikes and have been nearly troublefree except for some minor issues. Would I buy another AE, for sure I would. Would I prefer to have the advantage of the clutch lever, yes I would prefer that, so if I had to have only one, I would take a conventional clutch. I want to make it clear that the electric shifting works wonderfully, really great in the mountain s and twisties to gear up and down very quickly to utilize engine braking and in rush hour lane sharing which is needed her in Los Angeles.

If you are an experienced rider, you should have only about a few minutes to get used to the deft use of the throttle on the AE, especially in tight turning spaces and when not moving with the bike in full left or right handlebar lock.

Kinda beat both sides of the bikes, but both have not disappointed me and perhaps neither will bother you too.

Hope this helps. Good buying!!

I can't really confirm is an AE is better than an A or not but can tell you I really love autoclutches. I don't own an FJR "YET" but will in less than a year or so. When I do I will probably go with the AE. I currently ride a KTM 525exc dirt bike with a Rekluse Auto Clutch. This is by far the best Farkle I have ever done to a motorcycle. I love it in the dirt and could only imagine that it would be even better on a streetbike. It's funny cause all the people I ride with laugh until they actually try it. Most people think that only wussies ride with no clutch but actually it drastically improved my riding because it's one less thing you have to think about or worry about. Just twist the throttle and go. Most people that ride my dirtbike are converted instantly. Being a Fireman I can say that most people do not like change. I would think that if you tried it you would probably like it so if you never try it you will never no what you are missing, however if you do happen to ride one with the AE I can probably bet you will end up with one. I believe I will....

I bought the AE only 9 days ago, because it was what my dealer had, and it was a helluva good deal. Am getting accustomed to it quickly. There are a couple of quirks: If you are taking off on an uphill, or in a grassy area (like my back yard) you've gotta get the rpm's up more than if you could slip the clutch. Also, I find that at a red light, in 1st gear, I can back the sucker up with my feet! So be careful parking on an uphill or downhill slope, using the side stand, because it may take off, even if still in gear. It may need a parking brake on future models. That's all I can add!

I have been trying to decide if I even want an FJR and my friend that owns one won't quit badgering me until I get one. So the other day I go to a dealer and start looking at an A model. Then the dealer says they've got an AE for a little more. Both are appealing and the AE is intriguing. I am a traditionalist when it comes to clutching so I wasn't too warm to the idea of a no clutch lever setup but ya never know. The question I have is, what is the general consensus on the AE here on the forum?

I bought a 2007 AE after 6 months of research on the YCC-S system. I live on the Oregon

coast on a road called Seven Devils. This road is a great ride on the FJR. I have had many different motorcycles in the past. I also own a Honda Foreman 4 wheeler with electric shift. I owned the 4 wheeler 6 months before purchasing the FJR. 2007 is the second year model AE. Yamaha engineering spent 3 years designing and testing the AE before they put it out on the market. Did you know that dragsters and formula one race cars use electric or air shifting? Yamaha new this and designed a great electric shift for the AE. I am open minded and trust Yamaha engineering. I have never had a problem with Yamaha motorcycles in the past.

It didn't take me very long to get use to the electric shift. I presume this is because of the Honda and time spent using its electric shift.

The AE is flawless. It shifts faster than a clutch in most cases. It is incredible when down shifting before a corner and I have had no problem going slow. I imagine there will be a lot of motorcycles with some form of push button shifting in the future and Yamaha is in the forefront with this technology.

The FJR is a great bike and the AE just enhances it. I am glad I purchased the AE and I would recommend it to anyone, but you have to be open minded to new things in life and not be stuck in the past.

What some people do not know about the electric shift is the clutch engages and disengages at 1300 RPM. Also when you shut off the bike in gear the clutch engages as though you parked a bike in gear. The clutch automatically engages when you turn off the bike.

Thanks for all the input. Some of the questions I didn't think to ask were answered, like parking on a hill in gear and slow speed manuevering. I have to admit I am drawn to the concept of the AE and it sounds like Yamaha really engineered it well. I will post the final decision when I buy

ok i've had my FJR since tues. and the biggest fault i can find with it is the sucker has an extremely hard time staying at or under the speed limit........gonna see if this covered under warranty :D

I bought the AE only 9 days ago, because it was what my dealer had, and it was a helluva good deal. Am getting accustomed to it quickly. There are a couple of quirks: If you are taking off on an uphill, or in a grassy area (like my back yard) you've gotta get the rpm's up more than if you could slip the clutch. Also, I find that at a red light, in 1st gear, I can back the sucker up with my feet! So be careful parking on an uphill or downhill slope, using the side stand, because it may take off, even if still in gear. It may need a parking brake on future models. That's all I can add!
Please read the owners manual about parking in gear. It will NOT "take off" on a slope if left in first gear with the kick stand down! The gear engages to prevent this.