To change color, or not to change colors - that is the question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you plan to keep the bike for a while, paint it. (I am also partial to LEO pearl white.)

If you plan to sell it soon, keep the original color. A non-stock color screams "I wrecked my bike and repainted it another color."

Good points Dsmack and Texan. I do plan on keeping the bike a while (I tend to own stuff until they are done). I hadn't thought about using other paints (automotive vs. m/c), but you are right - Colorite's prices are pretty rich. I'll consult my body guy to see what brand he recommends, but does anyone else have thoughts on good quality automotive paint brands?

And yes, I will definitely post pics when its done.

Thanks all for your thoughts and ideas.

If you plan to resell it, use a stock color.

If you keep it till it's junk, then another vote for pearl white.

... does anyone else have thoughts on good quality automotive paint brands?Thanks all for your thoughts and ideas.
Kosmoski's House of Kolor:

https://shop.houseofkolor.com/hok/store/index.html

I've had several bikes painted with these paints and they're just wonderful -- great custom colors: pearls/candys/etc. You don't need to make it look 'custom' -- I didn't. I just had them repainted using these paints -- and those who look will know... :)

You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
TIA for your thoughts.

Okay, here's a thought and, sorry, I don't have pictures, but there was a kid in our 'hood that covered his sportbike with shag carpet! I kid you not.

Ugliest thing I ever saw. And when it rained it looked like a wet goat but hey, a little "Renuzit" and a rake and...well, it looked like a dry goat with frizzy hair.

Really, I am sorry...as far as paint goes, I think the original color would be best...bigjimbiker

I'll be damned if I didn't suggest this same color in another "Paint it or not...." thread, but if I was going to make a change on my 04, which I wouldn't 'cause Cerulean Silver is SO gorgeous, I'd have to go with Chevy's "Atomic Orange"

ITEM_3-T-10_2005_CORVETTE_ATOMIC_ORANGE_COUPE_.jpg

I have yet to see a picture of this color that truly shows how awesome it is, but this pic comes the closest.

THe "Copper" color Mitsubishi used on their late 90s Eclipse model is a close second.

3176353_36.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend Rhino Lining.
I actually know a guy with a Rhino'd R6 ratted out bike. It's every bit as ugly as you would imagine.
I saw pictures of a 2009 KLR650 with rhino-like bedliner on everything. Looked good on that bike: not the FJR.

Pearl white with a warm colored base and lots of clear coat... yum.

If you plan to keep the bike for a while, paint it. (I am also partial to LEO pearl white.)
If you plan to sell it soon, keep the original color. A non-stock color screams "[SIZE=14pt]An Elk molested my bike[/SIZE] and I repainted it another color."
Fixed it for ya.

IMG_1299.jpg

:p

Brodie
Paging Mr. Gordon. Flash Gordon....your motorcycle is ready!

:finger:

Dang Howie. The orange on that FJR is close to the color on that Vette. That would look pretty nice solid orange. Bounce is having his painted red. I've just seen pics of parts of it as he gets them. Don't know if he has it together yet. The color looks good though. I've seen Hellcreep's bike up close. Nicely done but not something I'd want for myself.

GP

If you plan to sell it soon, keep the original color. A non-stock color screams "[SIZE=14pt]An Elk molested my bike[/SIZE] and I repainted it another color."
Fixed it for ya.

IMG_1299.jpg

:p

Brodie

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd vote for a different color too. Pearl White gets my vote. I'd like to see pics and I may have mine painted the same if yours comes out well.

-Iris

Awesome ideas folks! Lots to chew one (although that technicolor yawn is a bit much for my taste). I am pretty sure I am going to go with a new color at this point. Time to ponder the details (accents, two tone, etc.) I am actually starting to get excited about this project - trying to turn a negative into a positive. Will post pics when it gets done!

Thanks again!

Blasphemy!! Only vehicles born in "Old Blighty" can wear the BRG.

Well, if you must have it you could just retrofit some Lucas electric stuff in there to make it qualify... ;)