To change color, or not to change colors - that is the question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As others have suggested, please paint your bike pearl white. That way I can see what mine will look like in a year.

Regards,

Davy

Take this opportunity to repaint.

Checkerboard pattern: Black & White, Blue & Yellow, Green & Blue

Get creative and unique. If you're going to worry about painting it for reselling it, then go with a nice boring neutral color. There's all kind of things to use as inspiration, nature, sports teams, flags, etc...etc...etc...

Good luck and let us know what you decide...

Concept06.jpg

Blasphemy!! Only vehicles born in "Old Blighty" can wear the BRG.
Well, if you must have it you could just retrofit some Lucas electric stuff in there to make it qualify... ;)

Ah yes, Lucas...inventors of the intermittant wipers as well as the intermittant horn and intermittant headlights...jolly-good-show!

bigjimbiker

Should he first drag the feejer through a mountain pass, Groo? :unsure: Is that your paint? Very nice... :yahoo:
It will be, once I ding up the original paint enough... But I'll probably go with a full-bike decal. The problem I have with a custom paint job on a well/often ridden bike is keeping it looking good. WIth a decal, you can reprint/reapply as needed.

It will be, once I ding up the original paint enough... But I'll probably go with a full-bike decal. The problem I have with a custom paint job on a well/often ridden bike is keeping it looking good. WIth a decal, you can reprint/reapply as needed.
Body decal? Tell me more.

BTW, I used to love Sergio Aragones!!!

I just saw this BMW the other day that was a Matte Black that looked very cool,

not much to look at in the photo but if you see one in person it's pretty cool.

Not this car but the same color...

151059118-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Digging into this topic, I have discovered a ton of great ideas. There are a lot of interesting graphics / decals that can be purchased these days. I am leaning towards integrating some kind of a checker pattern into the design. I don't want to over do it, but something reasonably tasteful on the sides might work.

I met with my body / paint guy this morning. He gave the bike a quick look over and didn't see anything that concerned him. The one panel that I have that is cracked I happen to have a less scratched replacement for (don't ask me how :blink: ). The rest is pretty straight forward scratch repair and painting. I am going to get the tupperware removed and over to him soon so he can get started on it, but there really isn't a rush on this job. It will end up being a winter project. We'll start with a solid color and I am going to continue to look at different graphics patterns. Some of the flames out there look pretty good, but that is just so over done. I would rather be a little more original. The missus would prefer me to do something subtle like a stripe or something. Hmm... so many choices.

In the meantime, I have to look into replacement mirrors. The ones on the bike did what they were supposed to (fold in), but the did get a bit scuffed up. Has anyone tried any of the aftermarket mirrors for sale on eBay? $35 - $40 for a pair of mirrors almost seems too good to be true.

I am also going to have to replace my saddle. When the bike came to rest by hitting a street sign, it ripped the front saddle. This may be the right time to upgrade from the OEM seat, but I am not sure I am ready to dump several hundred clams into a new one. If anyone has a front seat for an '04 that they would care to sell for a reasonable price, I would consider it.

Keep the great ideas coming!!

Has anyone tried any of the aftermarket mirrors for sale on eBay? $35 - $40 for a pair of mirrors almost seems too good to be true.
I got a pair, then changed the pivot point to a bolt and locking nuts, which worked well. The quality is hit and miss, but I did OK with my purchase. The left one got kinda worn-out from frequently folding it in to lane-share, so I tried replacing it with an OEM, which doesn't work as well as the Emgo still on the right side.

Has anyone tried any of the aftermarket mirrors for sale on eBay? $35 - $40 for a pair of mirrors almost seems too good to be true.
I got a pair, then changed the pivot point to a bolt and locking nuts, which worked well. The quality is hit and miss, but I did OK with my purchase. The left one got kinda worn-out from frequently folding it in to lane-share, so I tried replacing it with an OEM, which doesn't work as well as the Emgo still on the right side.
When I broke one, I tried a set of the Chinese ones and they were total junk. Ended up getting a replacement genuine OEM mirror online and with delivery paid something like $115.

As for paint, I have to say that the Dutch stripes sure stand out! You'd be the first on your block. :)

Dutch-Police-Yamaha.jpg

I did like the extra foot and hand fairings, plus front & rear bars.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not! Shiny New Black, then you can look at it as an 09'

Good luck, post the pics of the turn out.
if I ever get the chance to repaint mine, You can bet it wont be black, Or any other factory FJR color for that matter. Why look like everyone else? These bikes are very limited in colors. Personally I love silver, but I would not paint my bike silver just becasue yamaha already used silver.

Should he first drag the feejer through a mountain pass, Groo? :unsure: Is that your paint? Very nice... :yahoo:
Gunny on the body decal. Then if you want to change it or go back to stock, no problem. A shop is right down the street from work, but I haven't gone back for a quote. My wife said "what for, you can't see it when you are riding anyway".

After a recent unfortunate unscheduled get-off that did at least some damage to most of the painted panels, I am wondering if I should take this opportunity to re-paint my '04 a different color. I have always been partial to black. Are there any downsides to changing the color that I need to consider? I know a good body guy that re-painted my saddlebags before, so I know he'll do a great job.
BTW - I am looking for a lower right fairing if anyone has one avail. It took the worst of the fall.

TIA for your thoughts.
naw. repainting is cool. especially if you stick to something like black.