To FJR or not

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisweir.com

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just signed in a cruised around a bit. You seem like a smart easy going bunch so here's the $1,000,000 question: I don't have one, and all this talk of ticking and noisey heads scares me. Should I even bother?

The ticking issue is, IMHO, overstated. It would be covered by Yamaha if you came up with the problem. Everyone here loves there FJR1300. Just do it and don't worry about it. If you chose another bike, you are likely to find that they have certain issues as well. Nothing is perfect, but my FJR comes pretty close.

Not sure where your located, but when D&H yamaha in Cullman Alabama will sell you a new 06 non electronic shifter model for 11499.00 with no additional fees and add a 4 year unlimited mile warranty for around 400.00. I say Hell yeah. My 05 is making a little extra noise and I have decided to hang in there with it. my extended warranty will cover any repairs for several more years down the road if it needs any. Plus when you start to look at what other bikes are available that fall into the capability range of the FJR, its a no brainer. FJR it is. IF you have not ridden one, try to find someone that will let you take it for a spin. Then for sure your an owner

one additional comment, I spoke to jerrol at D&H last week and he says that there are a few hundred more available to order. So if your thinking about it you had better get busy making a decision, otherwise you will have to chase down one somewhere that someone backed out on. That might cost you some extra cash. Remember that jerrol's price seems to be the benchmark of a killer deal. If your anywhere at all close to the southeast then D&H is the place.

Not getting an FJR cause of the ticking is kinda like not eating a steak because you might need a bypass.
IMHO.

:agent:
Good point; I need to ride one then decide. I'm closing on my new house in another 2 months, then I'll be ready to look at maybe getting a new toy. That price in GA sounds cheap, but that's a long ass drive! I really am a newbie; do you guys think this thing will really be order only for '06?

Oh, and I've ridden a linked brake Interceptor 800 and much to my surprise I LOVED IT! I'm game for abs and linked brakes but I would prefer the manual gearbox ;)

D&H is in Cullman Alabama just north of Birmingham. Here is your plan, you go ahead and call Jerrol right now. Send him a lousy 500.00 for the order deposit. You close on your house and then about a month later your bike comes in. You fly to birmingham and ride it back to where ever it is you live. even if its 1500 miles away I promise the FJR will get you back QUICKLY.

Chris, there are a couple of SoCal dealers who were selling at good prices. Bringing a non-California compliant bike into the state is a major PIA. Trust me, you need to buy a CA bike, DMV people are NOT your friend!

Ric-in-Sac bought his in San Diego (?), I think. The SoCal guys can direct you if you are serious.

Chris,

RadioHowie here...the same RH from the ZRXOA.

I "agonized" for almost a year on what to get for a 2nd bike when I started looking. My short list ranged from a Kaw KLR-650 to a BMW R1200RT. Not all that short of a list. :)

I pretty much narrowed it down to the FJR January '05, but kept putting off making a decision until late August, when I "found" my '04 in Sebring. My only regret was the 8 months I lost from indecision.

Like kaitsdad said "Not getting an FJR cause of the ticking is kinda like not eating a steak because you might need a bypass." I don't think this could have been said better.

The only thing I can add that might be a negative is in my sig line -- you might find your ZRex parked more often than not. I've likened the FJR to being a ZRex in a tuxedo. Underneath still a hoolie bike, but all grown up, comfortable and sophisticated.

Based on the split useage between my FJR and my ZRX since September, I'll never wear out those Michelin Pilots on Rex. :)

As was already mentioned, follow the various motorcycle forums and you will find issues with most bikes. The internet does amplify some of the problems. I owned a Suzuki Vstrom for 3 enjoyable years before selling when I order the 06 fjr. The Vstrom had the clutch basket issue. Many had it replaced, some said they had no problems, but many prospective buyers asked about it. I am going to get the extended warranty form the Alabama dealer and enjoy.

I have followed the ticking saga for about a year and a half now. I bought a ST1300 then (for a wide variety of reasons). I've been happy with the ST, and it did everything I wanted it to do. I also have two very good friends with FJR's.

After all that I have read and observed, I now have my ST for sale and a FJR on order from D&H. I also plan to fly in and ride about 800 miles back to Houston.

BTW, what do most people do for license plates for the ride home when buying out of state?

Thanks

BTW, what do most people do for license plates for the ride home when buying out of state?
Nuttin. You have something like 30 to 45 days to get your plates. Just have your bill of sale (copy) and proof of insurance with you. Then don't do anything to get pulled over. If you do get stopped and they ask, show them that paperwork and you'll be golden.

Nuttin. You have something like 30 to 45 days to get your plates. Just have your bill of sale (copy) and proof of insurance with you. Then don't do anything to get pulled over. If you do get stopped and they ask, show them that paperwork and you'll be golden.
While this might be true for Texas, it's 100% wrong for Florida. If you disagree, I'll let you pay the $125 ticket I got for driving home a used pickup truck I bought without having a tag on it. And since I purchased it from a private party, I didn't have a temp. tag option. In Florida, at least, having the bill of sale in your possession without having proper registration means exactly dick.

The dealer is required to provide you with tag and registration at the time of purchase and the purchaser would at the very least receive a 15 day temporary tag, which gives the purchaser plenty of time to get the vehicle home and registered in the state of residence. If one was to purchase from a private party, as in my case, it is the purchaser's responsibilty to take the bill of sale to the DMV and acquire tag and registration BEFORE putting the vehicle on the road.

While this might be true for Texas, it's 100% wrong for Florida. If you disagree, I'll let you pay the $125 ticket I got for driving home a used pickup truck I bought without having a tag on it. And since I purchased it from a private party, I didn't have a temp. tag option. In Florida, at least, having the bill of sale in your possession without having proper registration means exactly dick.

The dealer is required to provide you with tag and registration at the time of purchase and the purchaser would at the very least receive a 15 day temporary tag, which gives the purchaser plenty of time to get the vehicle home and registered in the state of residence. If one was to purchase from a private party, as in my case, it is the purchaser's responsibilty to take the bill of sale to the DMV and acquire tag and registration BEFORE putting the vehicle on the road.
Thanks for the two replies. Obviously, you cannot get a temporary tag because D&H is not in the state it will be registered in. So the only two options appear to be:

A ) Ride without any tags.

B ) Pay for the motorycle and get it registered in your home state before you pick it up so that you have tags with your when you pick it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the two replies.  Obviously, you cannot get a temporary tag because D&H is not in the state it will be registered in.  So the only two options appear to be:
A )  Ride without any tags.

B )  Pay for the motorycle and get it registered in your home state before you pick it up so that you have tags with your when you pick it up.
Check with D&H. I bought mine in Georgia and rode back to New Mexico with a temp tag from the dealer.

Thanks for the two replies.  Obviously, you cannot get a temporary tag because D&H is not in the state it will be registered in.  So the only two options appear to be:

A )  Ride without any tags.

B )  Pay for the motorycle and get it registered in your home state before you pick it up so that you have tags with your when you pick it up.
Check with D&H. I bought mine in Georgia and rode back to New Mexico with a temp tag from the dealer.
Many have bought their bikes from D&H and ridden them back to (and through) many states. I've not heard of anyone having a problem. Maybe they stop rednecks in trucks?

Check the times it takes to turn around a typical registration. It's not instantanious. State dealers can provide a temporary state tag. Out of state dealers can't. Individuals can do neither in nor out of state temporary tags. Seems a winable court fight for a new bike from out of state and no way for Fla's DMV to get you the tag (or even document the registration in their books) between the time of purchase (or arrival at the dealership where a VIN is known) and the time you take it home. So clearly, it's a DMV problem and not yours. Buying a used car with a pre-existing registration and a VIN knowable before returning going to pick up the vehicle would be a completely difference situation if they wanted to be real AH's about it.

Alternately, use a laser printer to print a temporary tag and then laminate it. I did that for mine (just in case). All it said was "TEMP TAG". I didn't bother to use it though.

Have a copy of your certificate of origin along with insurance and BoS. That's one thing I forgot to mention. D&H provides the CoO when you take delivery so you can register the bike at your home state's DMV.

BTW: I rode my 2003 model the whole time I was waiting for the tags to arrive without anything back there. I went a week or two before even registering it; waiting for payday. Not once during that whole time did I even get a 2nd look. I can't account for the asshats in Fla, but I can assure you that in the various states I've lives in, all had a 30 day (or so) provision for getting your tags mounted and your registration in the system. Having those 3 documents, that receipt for registration (once you've paid), and a willingness to politely disagree if they try and rewrite the statutes on the side of the road can go a long way.

Don't be a squid and you won't draw attention to yourself.

I didn't eat much steak and I still had a quad-bypass. :eek:

I bought an '05 FJR and it now has 20k happy-motoring miles on it.

And, at 18k miles it became a repaired ticker, under warranty.

Would I buy another one, you ask??? YOU BET!! :D :D :D

This bike does so much so well you can't believe it. GET ONE...