Today's KLR ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Edison

Let It Ride
Reaction score
Took a ride today on the KLR. Here's a few pic's from the Mountains.

917878320_kwP65-L.jpg

917877071_PbuMG-L.jpg

917880345_bqYCf-L.jpg

917880801_k8bxP-L.jpg

917882213_Lw2e7-L.jpg

917884700_RPddP-L.jpg

917883632_zLKmG-L.jpg

917885320_M8N6u-L.jpg

These were taken off of Hwy 530, between Rockport and Darington.

Very good Tom, I don't really know how much off roading I can do at this stage of my life. But the KLR does ring my bell a bit, a prefect fit for our NW logging roads.

You guys in the NW really make me sick, :rolleyes: Just ride out the back door and here you are. Those of us in the mid west would have to ride for two days just to get started.

Great pictures

Mac

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

I've been known to take my FJR to some inappropriate places like that, partly to see how knarly it has to get before I lose my nerve. It may be a smarter move to invest in a more purpose built ride for that kind of exploration. :russian_roulette: :unsure:

Nice KLR!

I've been known to take my FJR to some inappropriate places like that, partly to see how knarly it has to get before I lose my nerve. It may be a smarter move to invest in a more purpose built ride for that kind of exploration. :russian_roulette: :unsure:

Nice KLR!
Yeah. I used to do that until this happened:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...t=0#entry595425

I bought the KLR650 a couple months later :D

Love my KLR, just make sure you replace your doohickey and get the torsion spring. My coil spring broke at 3700 miles and again at 13k miles...Torsion spring in there now.

Tough way to spend a day, you do suck.

And a question to you guys that own a klr and a fjr, If you were to ride to Alaska, which one would you ride?

Tough way to spend a day, you do suck.
And a question to you guys that own a klr and a fjr, If you were to ride to Alaska, which one would you ride?
I've been to Alaska by road twice. Both times in a Westfalia. that's the only way to go. It's a toss up by bike. Both the KLR and FJR have good and bad. The most practical would be the KLR. I'd hate to beat the FJR up on some portions of those roads. The Yukon terriotory portion is generally the roughest in my experience.

Nice KLR!
Yeah. I used to do that until this happened:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...t=0#entry595425

I bought the KLR650 a couple months later :D
I am impressed by your good judgement in buying a KLR. That mud hole with the FJR :blink: . I was going to sell mine when I got the FJR, glad I didn't. I like being able to get up in the mountains on dirt.Nice to have a clean smooth machine for street duty. :yahoo:

I did the Trans American Trail from TN to CO in April. From NJ to TN to CO to NJ was 5k miles in 13 days. 2300 miles were dirt/gravel/sand. The rest were spent on the highway at 70+mph. The bike never skipped a beat. I think the KLR is great for long distance, just the pace you will have on it will be a bit slower, obviously higher maintenance.

I did the Trans American Trail from TN to CO in April. From NJ to TN to CO to NJ was 5k miles in 13 days. 2300 miles were dirt/gravel/sand. The rest were spent on the highway at 70+mph. The bike never skipped a beat. I think the KLR is great for long distance, just the pace you will have on it will be a bit slower, obviously higher maintenance.
I am new to the FJR. On our logging roads the KLR is very solid, 40-50 mph over gravel, chuck holes, no problem. I'm just very hesitant at this point to take the FJR on those kind of roads. I guess I just don't want to get the pretty thing dirty!