Took the plunge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willieiso118

Reaction score
Well after reading this and other FJR forums and drooling over this bike for quite some time now, and taking an FJR on a Yamaha factory product ride, I finally took the plunge today. I ordered one of the few remaining '06 FJR's around, and yes I too prefer the Blue to the new Red(ish) color. I live on Vancouver Island, in British Columbia, Canada, so my new '06 FJ has to come across the water from the mainland in Vancouver, and therefore I'm not quite sure when it will be here, but early or late it is my Christmas present to myself (self indulgent as it may be!!).

I decided to keep my Gl1500 for now and trade the '06 SV650S, only time will tell how much the wing gets ridden so it may "go away" later in the year, after Wing Ding in Billings Montana in July.

I enjoy reading this forum and have been lurking for sometime now and i value all of your advise and knowledge... Now that I'm actually an FJ owner i thought i would weigh in and post up an introduction.

Cheers

Willie

Congratulations! I think you will find the '06 FJR to be totally superior to your GL1500 in every way: her ride (while not the Buick-like "float" the 1500s are burdened with...) is very good and the handling....well, compared to a GL 1500 there is NO comparison. (I've had 1 GL1500 + 2 GL 1800s-those are IMPRESSIVE) The power of the FJR, while down a bit, because of wt, is still far more than adequate. Mine sure makes my 350hp C5 Vette feel "slow"....LOL.

The only 2 "weak" spots, IMO, are the tires-if not BS020s-and the saddle: it starts biting me after @ an hour. Given the l-o-n-g distance, high speed capabilities the FJR has that's just about a crime! Of course, with more $$$, the problem can be fixed.

At any rate enjoy your Christmas present and Merry Christmas!!! DFO :D

Welcome and you will love this bike I am sure. The power band is good from beginning to end. So merry Christmas and enjoy. PM. <>< :D

Welcome! Did you buy it new or used? If new, where'd you get it?
It's arriving new in the crate, when it arrives! My dealer said there were one or two others around but knew i didn't want a demo bike. They are going to call me in, so i can have some photos of the bike in the crate, me with the crate etc, this is becoming standard, as they did the same thing when the Suzuki SV650S arrived.. LOL

I got it through Action Motorcycles here in Victoria B.C., they are great guys and I've enjoyed dealing with them each time I've purchased a bike (6). If you are an islander i highly recommend the trip down to see them.

Cheers

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to keep my Gl1500 for now and trade the '06 SV650S, only time will tell how much the wing gets ridden so it may "go away" later in the year, after Wing Ding in Billings Montana in July.
You have impressive foresight. When I bought my first FJR, I had 3 other bikes. When asked what I was going to do with 4 bikes, I answered, "Sheeya. I'm going to RIDE THEM ALL!!!". Welp, I've pretty much settled into riding the FJR exclusively. I used to have a GL1500, as well. Since adding the Givi 52-liter trunk to my FJR, I find I have comparable touring capacity to what I had on the 'Wing, way more power, and much, much, much more fun. I've done 1000+ mile days on the 'Wing and the FJR. I think they are comparably comfortable, with the nod going to the 'Wing. The 'Wing provides more positions to settle into, while the FJR provides more excitement. I think either/or can get you through the miles.

Your intuition serves you well - I think your 'Wing is not long for this world.

Regards...

You're going to be glad you got this bike. Lots of good riding where you are too. I love that part of the world.

(Ari -- first time I've noticed that avatar. Nice waterproofing test. :D )

Congrats. on your decision you won't be sorry I took the plunge in May after selling my beemer and now after almost 12k miles I'm sure I made the right choice.

I have never regretted buying the FJR. I'm pretty sure you won't either. Do you like hockey. Sorry, we have to know.

(Ari -- first time I've noticed that avatar. Nice waterproofing test. :D )
Just one reason out of several thousand to attend a "WFO" rally. That picture was taken at WFO-5. 100+ in Reno will make you do just about anything to cool off. I'm not sure of the exact date, but if you Google "massive fish kill" and "Lake Tahoe" you should be able to figure it out. Regards.

Well after reading this and other FJR forums and drooling over this bike for quite some time now, and taking an FJR on a Yamaha factory product ride, I finally took the plunge today. I ordered one of the few remaining '06 FJR's around, and yes I too prefer the Blue to the new Red(ish) color. I live on Vancouver Island, in British Columbia, Canada, so my new '06 FJ has to come across the water from the mainland in Vancouver, and therefore I'm not quite sure when it will be here, but early or late it is my Christmas present to myself (self indulgent as it may be!!).

I enjoy reading this forum and have been lurking for sometime now and i value all of your advise and knowledge... Now that I'm actually an FJ owner i thought i would weigh in and post up an introduction.

Cheers

Willie

Congratulations!

But keep the suzuki and get rid of the wing... <G>

Unless your wife insists....<BG>

the FJR is one fun bike....

mary

Congrats on your selection and Merry Christmas! Wow, you must have been REALLY good this year! I had another bike as well when I got my FJR, it was a V-Star 1100. I was planning on keeping it and after 1 month on the FJR, it was gone.

I've had several bikes, cars, that I said I would never get rid of, ever, and did. The FJR.....I can honestly say it will always be in my stable, unless I sell it for another FJR. The FJR does it all for me.

Enjoy!

Congratulations!But keep the suzuki and get rid of the wing... <G>

Unless your wife insists....<BG>

the FJR is one fun bike....

mary
I have to agree here. The FJR can handle your touring needs. Keep the light weight SV for the tighter twisties!

Shhh! My '98 GL1500 Gold Wing is already green with envy in the garage, sitting next to my '06 FJR. If she hears this treasonous "get rid of the 'Wing" talk, who knows what she'll do! (Maybe drain her own battery, then blame me for not riding her much since I got the FJR...) ;)

Seriously, I'm hanging on to the old girl for now 'cuz she's still more of a lap-of-luxury perch for long distance rides. Emphasis on for now.

Congrats on the FJR, I just bought my '06 after selling an '05 wing. You're going to enjoy the twisties much better on the FJR.

Well she's at home! :yahoo:

I took it out for a very chilly inaugural ride, brr, the fairing is not Gold wing size thats for sure, a fair bit more wind on the body, although i love the adjustable shield.

Oh and i guess the bags aren't in yet :( oh well I'm not touring anywhere for quite a while, and judging from the parking job i just did out back, they have to come off every time baby comes home anyways!!!

Is it summer yet? I now have a reason to move to somewhere warmer!!!!!