Top Box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

live to ride

Reaction score
Good Day all!

Was at a local dealer on Sat. and was looking at a used 04 FJR they had in the show room. Same bike as mine just diffrent color. Anyways this one had the Yamaha top box on it, which I have to say looks real good! So I looked closer as I remeber reading how many people have the Givi top box and mounting bracket. The Yamaha top box was just on the mounting plate from yamaha. My questions is the yamaha top box pricing and ok mounted on factory rack or is the Givi box the way to go?

Thanks

Good Day all!

Was at a local dealer on Sat. and was looking at a used 04 FJR they had in the show room. Same bike as mine just diffrent color. Anyways this one had the Yamaha top box on it, which I have to say looks real good! So I looked closer as I remeber reading how many people have the Givi top box and mounting bracket. The Yamaha top box was just on the mounting plate from yamaha. My questions is the yamaha top box pricing and ok mounted on factory rack or is the Givi box the way to go?

Thanks
I really like the Givi, cost size and availability. were my main factors as in 2007 Yamaha was having mounting plate issues so I was on backorder when I pulled the trigger on a Givi.

I had the Yamaha box on my '04, and I have a Givi E52 on my '09 now.

The Yamaha box is nice, but cost is a lot more than going with a Givi box and mounting bracket.

The key factor that pushed me towards the Givi was that I knew I wanted to add in a tail light kit to the box to increase how visible the bike is in traffic (brake, turn, and running lights). The Yamaha box has no provisions for this, and I would have had to build a completely custom set up for it. The Givi option has both Givi lights and aftermarket light kits to choose from. I have the E52 with Admore kit and their plug'n'play FJR harness. No splicing, just a simple T-harness to plug in.

Search youtube for "admore givi fjr" and you'll see a good demonstration.

just my .02.

Wayne

Not sure when this happened but I was happy to see the price of the factory top box was reduced. They are now listed as 439 on the Yamaha site. I prefer the looks of the factory case and had finally convinced myself to place the order. Needless to say, I'm glad I waited until now.

Dave

The Yamaha box is shaped weird, too narrow and too tall, so items that easily fit the Givi will not go into the Yamaha. It also has very thick walls, either space between inner and outer panels or stupid thick plastic.

As for the mount, the Yamaha plate is designed to fit the bike's stock rack, which is plastic. Givi's system replaces the stock rack with Givi's own steel-tube rack, and Givi rates it at nearly twice the weight capacity that Yamaha rates theirs, although both are beyond conservative at 13 and 7 pounds, respectively. You can get 3rd-party plates for the Givi that fit the bike's stock rack, though, if you'd rather keep the stock rack.

OTOH, if you buy a bike that already has the Yamaha box on it, then try it for size and see if you want to dump sell it and get a real top case. :)

I recently purchased the Givi V46. Glad I did. The quality of the rack and the box is very good. I do like the looks of the Yamaha box, but because people have had issues with the sub-frame cracking while using the Yamaha box, steered me in the direction of Givi.

Fwiw I have the givi rack and e52 with admore lights. Never used a yamaha topcase only seen them. My biggest beef is the absolute lack of strength of the stock "rack". It's not a rack it's a piece of painted plastic that will break in all but the most optimum conditions. Look at a givi rack and mounting and then see which one you feel comfortable loading your possessions on. That yamaha did not at least spring for aluminum sucks IMO.

I removed my Yamaha top box and replaced it with a Givi V46 with Admore lighting and the Givi steel rack (replacing the stock handrail). I like the internal space layout better on the Givi.