Top case pics and loose screen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RinconVTR

Reaction score
Before I am told to "search", I have. Many times. Using various keywords. I'm not finding what I am looking for.

I'm trying to choose what (used) top case to buy. OEM or Givi. I know the ups and downs, thats not what I'm looking for. I am trying to find PICTURES. Would those who have them accessible, would you post them here for me? Thanks!

And about the windshield, why is the OEM and aftermarket shields so darn loose? Is there a fix? Or a good reason to leave it alone?

Last edited by a moderator:
My V-Stream has bit of looseness, but it's in the actuator mechanics themselves...I think that's pretty normal. That being said, it always pays to check the screws under the trim piece from time to time to make sure nothing's backing out and getting loose...or broken. I've had them loosen up over time.

As for the top-cases, I don't have one, but generally Givi or Shad get top marks around here (Shad tends to get good marks in the looks department). The Yammy case has the looks, but the space inside isn't as well designed from what I've read. Actually searching "givi" or "shad" here does reveal threads showing the boxes installed.

Gen I with top case. This picture makes it look just about as bad as possible. The back rest pad is not installed because Pillion says it would push her too far forward.

8GlamourFJRmed.jpg

The windshield in the lowest position has lots of mechanical slop in the motor drive assembly. As the 'shield goes up it becomes a bit more stiff. Loose is normal. A couple of weeks ago I went on a windshield wiggle fest and shook lots of windshields and none were stiff when down. Ignoring the way this may be misconstrued.

Gen I with top case. This picture makes it look just about as bad as possible. The back rest pad is not installed because Pillion says it would push her too far forward.
8GlamourFJRmed.jpg

The windshield in the lowest position has lots of mechanical slop in the motor drive assembly. As the 'shield goes up it becomes a bit more stiff. Loose is normal. A couple of weeks ago I went on a windshield wiggle fest and shook lots of windshields and none were stiff when down. Ignoring the way this may be misconstrued.
This one shows the Givi - without sidebags (only picture I have available, case is a little chopped off)

003.jpg

Notice that Ross's Givi uses the full Givi mounting frame that replaces the stock FJR grab rails and rack. This should add some extra support over the OEM setup.

Before I am told to "search", I have. Many times. Using various keywords. I'm not finding what I am looking for.
And about the windshield, why is the OEM and aftermarket shields so darn loose? Is there a fix? Or a good reason to leave it alone?
What specifically have you tried searching on? I find many pertinent threads to the question by typing loose windshield site:fjrforum.com and other seemingly intuitive variations.

I think a little play in the shield is a good thing and you'll know why if you ever have to go down a washboard dirt road

You can also Google "givi site:fjrforum.com" but click "Images" instead of "Search." Then search the images and find lots of pics. Here are a couple shots of an '05 (my last one) with the Yama top box.

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

What specifically have you tried searching on? I find many pertinent threads to the question by typing loose windshield site:fjrforum.com and other seemingly intuitive variations.

And that returns 24 pages of threads...

May be if the search would pick from the tittle only, and not the entire thread body it might work better? I thought the advance search would do but it too wasnt working so hot either, returning zero threads each time. I must be missing a required pick. But this isnt my first time on a forum, and I'm not an idiot. It just seems a bit crude, or at least it is until I find some search tricks to use here.

Back on topic. Wow guys...thanks a ton. Those pics are PRECISELY what I've been looking for. In searching, I found all of 4 decent pics while looking thru the 30 pages of threads. The pics posted here blow them away. THANKS!!!

And thanks about the screen loosness notes too. Its weird to see the screen shaking so much at speed, but I guess that the way it is.

And that returns 24 pages of threads........ I must be missing a required pick. But this isnt my first time on a forum, and I'm not an idiot. It just seems a bit crude, or at least it is until I find some search tricks to use here.
Yet I find the very first thread to be pertinent along with others not at all near the end of those 24 pages. Hmm.

If you keep saying search sucks, but don't detail what you're trying to search on and the way you do it......it's just search welfare.

Some of the responses you're getting from people are....you guessed it...from them searching. ;)

I'll ask again, what are you searching on? Help us.....help you. ;)

At the various ______Owners Meetings I have seen classes in various topics, among the G and PG rated classes were things like GPS 101 and maintenance. Maybe we need one of the propeller-heads to teach a Searching for Dummies. The picture of my FJR with trunk came from my Photobucket account, no searching involved.

I did however do a few searches just to see how things turned up. For one, here is a Shad top case:

IMG_0011b.jpg

And another very helpful one from a fellow New England rider & friend:

hondacamping.jpg

Motorcycling for the homeless.

Below this line lies the snore zone, only those immune to flat, dry, boring material should venture here. There may even be dragons and monsters.

==========================

The only insider's trick I used when searching was to go to the oldest posts and start there. Back in the early days of this Forum the world was still pretty new and many things were being tried 'for the first time' and we offered pictures and detailed how-to's that don't happen so often these days.

What would you use for search terms for top cases, or are they top boxes, or are they trunks? First, the search engine can't use words that are three letters or less so the word TOP is out already. If you just put in Givi you will get every mention in history. Since we are looking for pictures (sometimes said as pixs or pics) I started with the straight forward word PICTURE and since it may also be PICTURES I have a trick for that. Next I used a second straight forward word -- Givi. Since I am searching using two words I used the + meaning all the words must be present and that eliminates all posts that don't contain BOTH words. I also used the * symbol which means that the search engine should accept anything at and after that mark. Putting it together my search term looked like this: +picture* +Givi. Picture* will allow the search engine to pickup both the words picture and pictures. This search term returned 13 pages so I went to the last page and started looking there. Each page clearly had exactly matching threads that you could determine just by scanning. Between pages 11 & 13 I found multiple quality pictures of OEM, Givi and Shad top cases.

Edit: Deleted an even longer winded thingie on searching. I may ping an admin. because there seems to be some search rules that I can no longer find. Also, running the very same search term copy/paste accurate over again a couple of times will return different numbers of hits and different number of pages. I believe it is related to how busy the server is when the query is run.

Obviously...there ARE tricks to searching here and results have been proven inconsistent. Also, none of the useful pictures posted in this thread were found in my search. They are by far the best and I thank those who helped me out.

Regarding searching...I am a member of many forums and I've been doing this for nearly 20 years now. Every forum reaches a point where questions are duplicated in some form or another, and I'll tell you it would be a boring place if all members replied with was "do a search". Seriously, if my trouble with search has some upset, then read something else. Or you could always ban new posts make it a "search only" forum.

And I am far from the only one who has had trouble searching here. During my own searches, I found countless threads starting off with the same comments I made. Let just relax. No need to recommend "search for dummies" class at the next meet. Everyone is here to read, learn, help, and contribute...or so I like to think!

Seriously, if my trouble with search has some upset, then read something else. Or you could always ban new posts make it a "search only" forum.
Nah. We don't do that here.

Here's your sign though!

searchwelfare.jpg

Enjoy the forum. ;)

Wow! The pix of the top boxes are nice, but the backgrounds of the Mt. Washington Hotel in NH and Crater Lake in OR are sprectacular! Time to plan a major trip, but gotta get a topbox first.

pete

You can also Google "givi site:fjrforum.com" but click "Images" instead of "Search." Then search the images and find lots of pics.
Damn, Mike....I NEVER thought about using the Google Images search to find old pics on the forum but it works outstandingly!

BEST TIP OF THE WEEK!!