Top Case recommendation?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfuzz

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions from the collective for a top box. I want something not too big but not too small (aesthetically and functionally speaking) that won't break the bank. I think something smaller than a Givi V46 would be what I'm looking for, however I don't want some tiny scooter-sized topcase that looks ridiculously tiny on a FJR either.

I just want it to use on those rare occasions that I take the Mrs on a trip. I don't want something as large (or spendy) as a 50 or 55 liter case because she will pack until capacity is reached and we don't need to take that much stuff.

I was thinking I like the looks and price of the Givi E450 but I'm open to other brands and sizes that are quality and look good.

Suggestions?

A Coocase might be worth checking out. My wife used to use one when she had her Versys. I can't say I loved the latch mechanism, but it was well made and reasonably priced. They sell a variety of sizes at TwistedThrottle.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
With cost being a concern, you can forget the stock Yamaha trunk. It's the best looking trunk in my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions ;) ) but it's very expensive and doesn't hold as much stuff as similar sized cases from other sources. I have the factory trunk for the extra storage required when the Misses is along and more importantly it's her backrest. Considering the cost and more efficient storage, I'll probably get a Givi case if I ever need to buy another one.

If top quality isn't a concern, THESE <clicky> are an option. While I have no direct experience with them, some guys love 'em (typically KLR owners), and some dump 'em and ante up for the Givi.

Otherwise look around the various forums and Fleabay for a used Givi at a decent price. They pop up from time to time.

Start with what do you want it to hold? Also consider the rather big booty of the FJR. When I placed my V46 from another bike, I noticed it fit well within the lines. Then went with the E55 when I saw

how visually it looked (almost) the same, and still stays within the bikes lines. The same case looks like an out of place bubble on a VStrom for example (my opinion). I much prefer the E55 considering I could not get 2 helmets of adult size (one with bluetooth) in the V46.

So.... what do you want it to do, what visually works for you, then budget.

Wait until Tech Day and you'll see most every type of trunk out there. Having had a Yamaha trunk on my previous '06 and now a V46 for the '09, I prefer the V46 for the increased storage capacity.

Lots of options out there, keep your eye on the forum and pick a used one up on the cheap.

--G

If you think the factory top case is to pricey just stay tuned, one will show up at the right price. I bought one on here for 200 bucks.

Here are some pictures of my CooCase on my '08. I absolutely LOVE this case.

Full album. https://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj579/SullyCuse/

P2050007.jpg

+1 on Shad SH-50.... Great capacity, it aesthetically fits the FJR, is well priced, and has color coded top plates to coordinate with bike color.

My 2011 FJR is the second bike I've had With a Shad..the workmanship is quality too...

IMO, Price shouldn't be the strongest factor as you can always buy cheap garbage for less, eg...JC Whitney....

+1 on Shad SH-50.... Great capacity, it aesthetically fits the FJR, is well priced, and has color coded top plates to coordinate with bike color.

My 2011 FJR is the second bike I've had With a Shad..the workmanship is quality too...

IMO, Price shouldn't be the strongest factor as you can always buy cheap garbage for less, eg...JC Whitney....
P.s. don't forget to buy the (heavy duty steel) top case mounting plate...

OK, OEM wasn't cheap as others here have said but with my bikes not so easy to match color (Titanium Metallic) I had to go that route. To date these were my purchases I made and in shopping I thought to be about the best prices w shipping.

Top Case $398.95 eBay

3307382249564040_1.jpg

Back Rest $111 eBay

3307225656154040_1.jpg

Mount $99.99 Hutchins MotorSports

ABA-2D261-30-10-2T.jpg

Lockset $0 :was incl with my bike AND I always wondered why they gave me this additional lock? Thanks Yami :)

----------------------------------

$609.94 my final end cost.

Last edited by a moderator: