Top Case recommendation?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a gently used (actually, no scratches or anything) OEM case on this forum. It included the mounting plate and backrest. I paid $475, including shipping and insurance. I guess it depends on how quicly you want to get one. I had taken the OEM part numbers and put them into Google. Someteimes dealers are pretty cheap. RonAyers.com comes to mind. Way cheaper than on the Yamaha website.

Keep in ming that you'll either want to replace the entire rear support with a metal one, or understand that you should only put about 11 pounds (rated for OEM case) back there. I'm just using mine for shoes, rain gear and bike cover. Maybe a light jacket too. The side cases will take the bulk of what I'm packing for an upcoming road trip.

Those "cheap-o" cases seem nice. I just saw one on the back of a used BMW 650 at a local dealer. Looked good. I didn't inspect it up close but it was locked. I was curious to see how weatherproof it would be.

Has anyone checked out or used the Givi B47 Blade? I think, aesthetically at least, it looks like it would go with the FJR nicely

Givi B47 Blade

cases-B47-BLADE.jpg

$609.94 my final end cost.
$609? WHOA!! I hate to sound cheap but that is a lot of cheddar to carry 40 ltrs/11 more lbs! More power to ya if the got the dough to blow but sheesh..............
It is and agreed but as said, I had to color match -and- if I take one of my g/f's with me on a weekend excursion, the 2 side-bags for both of us surely wont cut the mustard. $609 total for not hearing her bitch all weekend (cuz we couldn't bring the hair straightener etc.) = priceless.

Did ya pick one yet?

I just sold a 44ltr Givi that I had for three years and we, the Wife and I, loved it. I'm trading up to have more room for her stuff because I got a screaming deal on a Shad 50, but haven't got it yet.

I am about to return a borrowed V46 ltr Givi and it didn't seem to have the same ability to hold our two large helmets as well as the 44. The 44 was much cheaper, and it is made for Yamaha by Givi for the Majesty. I wouldn't have bought it if It looked like a scooter case.

If I could find the pics I had I'll post em. 44 ltr top case It does require a different mounting plate than the standard Givi one used on the Monokey models, so you would need the case and mounting plate made for the 44. It was pretty easy to wire up some LED tail lights in it as well.

My Wife opted to not use the backrest because it pushed her too far forward. She has back armor in her jacket that acts like a cushion.

Did ya pick one yet?

I just sold a 44ltr Givi that I had for three years and we, the Wife and I, loved it. I'm trading up to have more room for her stuff because I got a screaming deal on a Shad 50, but haven't got it yet.

I am about to return a borrowed V46 ltr Givi and it didn't seem to have the same ability to hold our two large helmets as well as the 44. The 44 was much cheaper, and it is made for Yamaha by Givi for the Majesty. I wouldn't have bought it if It looked like a scooter case.

If I could find the pics I had I'll post em. 44 ltr top case It does require a different mounting plate than the standard Givi one used on the Monokey models, so you would need the case and mounting plate made for the 44. It was pretty easy to wire up some LED tail lights in it as well.

My Wife opted to not use the backrest because it pushed her too far forward. She has back armor in her jacket that acts like a cushion.
I haven't picked on yet but I'm kinda leaning toward that B47. Otherwise I think a similarly sized Shad would be the ticket.

Honestly, I'm still trying to recover from the last 24hours and farkling is not on my mind right now. :rolleyes:

I have a Kappa? I think it's made by Givi but is not quite? of the same quality? But it is a trunk and works for me. The adapter plate is something to consider as well? I'm not sure if the Yamaha trunk works without an adapter plate or not? I like the fact that it locks onto the bike and at night I just take the side cases off with me if I'm in a motel or? It can be wired for lights etc. but I haven't gotten around to doing that yet!

Project now over $500 with backrest pad ($111 shipped)

3307225656154040_1.jpg
Before you put that backrest pad on, you might want to try it without. My wife has absolutely no complaints about not having the pad installed because her jacket has a backpad installed (a must on any jacket in my opinion) that cushions her back. There's already not enough room for me when she's onboard without pushing her even further forward. We've done plenty of 500 mile days and she's comfy.

Whatever you do, don't leave the backrest pad laying around the garage until the wife or kid scatter parts around that then make it useless in the resale market. :angry2: Mine would have been for sale years ago if I could find the mounting screws/instructions/drill guides.

BTW, I ended up making a custom mount plate that allows my factory trunk to be mounted further back. This gives more room between wifey and me and this I really likey! :yahoo: CUSTOM MOUNT PLATE LINKY

I went with the Givi rack and E55 trunk since I wanted large. Almost went with the Shad but switched gears at the last moment. Also, added an Admore Lighting kit. I almost always ride with my wife and a large trunk is a must. Attached are a couple of pictures (if I do this correctly, my first try).

EnteringBC.jpg

WinthropWA.jpg

Last week I was riding home from Nevada, and I got T-boned by a deer. It lost. FJR-1, deer-0. Anyways, bent one of my PHIDs, cracked a couple of fairing pieces, Bambi hit me in the left leg(thank you Roadcrafter), and took off the factory(Yamaha) trunk. So... I've spent 8 years feeling that twitchy feeling you get when running the factory trunk and bags (even the owners manual says not to run both because of stability), and am thinking of a Givi V46 when the insurance check comes in. Here's the question. Is the V46 more aerodynamically(sp?) stable than the Yam case? Any twitchiness or stability concerns?

Project now over $500 with backrest pad ($111 shipped)

3307225656154040_1.jpg
Before you put that backrest pad on, you might want to try it without. My wife has absolutely no complaints about not having the pad installed because her jacket has a backpad installed (a must on any jacket in my opinion) that cushions her back. There's already not enough room for me when she's onboard without pushing her even further forward. We've done plenty of 500 mile days and she's comfy.

Whatever you do, don't leave the backrest pad laying around the garage until the wife or kid scatter parts around that then make it useless in the resale market. :angry2: Mine would have been for sale years ago if I could find the mounting screws/instructions/drill guides.

BTW, I ended up making a custom mount plate that allows my factory trunk to be mounted further back. This gives more room between wifey and me and this I really likey! :yahoo: CUSTOM MOUNT PLATE LINKY
Thanks for the tip and I hear ya on the jacket, problem is we sometimes ride in hot weather 90+ and no jackets (I know should for the protection but...)

I may do the mount relocation :)

Thanks for the tip and I hear ya on the jacket, problem is we sometimes ride in hot weather 90+ and no jackets (I know should for the protection but...)

I may do the mount relocation :)
Can I also scoff at this 90+ as "Hot" weather comment too? :D

FWIW, I've had my Givi V46 for about 7 years and it has given great service. It is used almost every day I ride. It is very durable and strong too, I believe:

IMG_3951.jpg

FWIW, I've had my Givi V46 for about 7 years and it has given great service. It is used almost every day I ride. It is very durable and strong too, I believe:

IMG_3951.jpg
Doubles as a spare tire carrier? well ya can't beat that!

-Cheers w sum beers@!

IMG_3951.jpg
Doubles as a spare tire carrier? well ya can't beat that!

-Cheers w sum beers@!
He's not carrying spare tires. Those are the optional case protectors. You don't buy a $300+ case and not protect it do you? :D

If top quality isn't a concern, THESE <clicky> are an option. While I have no direct experience with them, some guys love 'em (typically KLR owners), and some dump 'em and ante up for the Givi.

Otherwise look around the various forums and Fleabay for a used Givi at a decent price. They pop up from time to time.
That example fits me pretty well... Got one of those with a Givi rack (the SR357) and it has worked for a couple of years... it's NOT very high quality though. At this point the red plastic (not an actual reflector) is popping off for the 3rd (and last) time. I'm looking at a real givi box in the very near future.