Top of Sidecase Protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRPHIL

Reaction score
Been getting tired of scuffing the tops of the sidecases when getting on and off the bike so I decided to do a little paint work. I decided to try some of that spray on truckbed liner on the tops of the cases and am pleased with the results. Didn't take to long to do and have decided this winter to do the same to the underside if the front fairing sides since they get hammered by road debris. Wouls attach some pictures for your approval if I could figure out how the hell to do that!!!!!

Been getting tired of scuffing the tops of the sidecases when getting on and off the bike so I decided to do a little paint work. I decided to try some of that spray on truckbed liner on the tops of the cases and am pleased with the results. Didn't take to long to do and have decided this winter to do the same to the underside if the front fairing sides since they get hammered by road debris. Wouls attach some pictures for your approval if I could figure out how the hell to do that!!!!!
Could you please let me know what product you used? I am wondering if I could use that on the bottom edge of my bags to sort of create a build-in looking molding edge (drop over).

Also, I'll PM you my email address. If you want I could host your pics.

EDIT: Phil sent me his pics, here they are:

Sidebags%20Paint%20Job%20001.JPG

Sidebags%20Paint%20Job%20002.JPG

Sidebags%20Paint%20Job%20003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I put the truck bed liner that you can at any Autozone or like chain store. I masked off at the crease in the case lid, scuffed them up and sprayed away. I really like the look and the protection. I had seen one at CFR in Nakusp last year, think it was Mad Mikes. Thinking of doing the whole bike with it. :D

MM2 has it on the top of his bags...looks real nice and is functional. I've been considering doing that and spraying the lower fairing "V" behind the front fender to hide the sand blast better. Even with an extender, the bottom 6" of paint is more than half gone and looks like $hit. :angry:

--G

Rhino Liner seems a bit extreme, though quite functional I'm sure. For the less permanent route, TankSlapper makes a kit that covers the leading edge as well as the top of the side case, I've had them on mine for about 2 years now and had no complaints.

I did the bottom of my bags last year. I used the spray paint that is used on the lower rocker panels on vehicles to help protect from rock chips. It is not as 'coarse' as the rhino lining stuff. People do not even notice as it looks like the bags came that way stock. I'll get some pics tomorrow if noone has posted by then.

Hey folks... c'mon. All this talk and no pictures? :unsure: Whazzup wit dat? :angry:

Would consider doing the lower part of the bags.

You know... the part that touches down when you forget to put down your kickstand? :rolleyes:

I would put some clear polyurethane tape on there instead of the truck bed liner (look at www.mcmaster.com). Cleaner and easier to apply and removeable.

I used some as a scratch-guard on the top of my gas tank - can't even see it.

I would put some clear polyurethane tape on there instead of the truck bed liner (look at www.mcmaster.com). Cleaner and easier to apply and removeable.
I'll put up pics of the tank guard tomorrow if anyone is interested.

I hate doing permanent modifications especially to the painted surfaces. Hurts resale.

I looked but couldnt figure out which tape youre talking about?? Im interested. Thanks

I looked but couldnt figure out which tape youre talking about?? Im interested. Thanks
Here's the part number for the stuff I used from Mcmaster-Carr:

1867T25

$18 for a 12" x 12" piece. I used an old tank protector as a template to cut out the adhesice PU film.

Here's the part number for the stuff I used from Mcmaster-Carr:

1867T25

$18 for a 12" x 12" piece
Yup I found it, I think the last digit is a 6 though. The other is six inches wide not 12. Thank you for the info. You like it and it goes on pretty easy? I tried a 3m product and didnt like it. I have a black bike and no matter how much I pressed and manipulated, it never appeared transparent and you could actually "see" the adhesive.

Okay, I agree all post with different ideas and tricks require pictures on this thread....

I really like that liner spray, Wow :clapping: , That's slicker than swiss cheese........More pics, more pics... :yahoo:

C'mon now... if you can't see it, is it really worth doing? :unsure: :blink: :unsure:

I like the idea of the rhino liner because you CAN see it. It would make your bike supah-sped-shul. :p

Oh and one more thing, this "resale value" thing of which you speak... doesn't that kind of assume one would ever be willing to sell one's totally, most perfectly farkled out bike to some unappreciative heathen slob for mere financial gains? :rolleyes: (yeah... that ain't happenin' soon)