Top of Sidecase Protection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FJRPhil - I like the finish on the saddle bags. Which brand of spray liner did you use?
I used the rattle-can spray liner bought at CSK (Kragen's...now O'Reillys) but also sold at any auto-parts-in-a-box store (NAPA, etc.).

A little creative taping and....voila!

Hwy36055.jpg

Hwy36054.jpg

FJRPhil - I like the finish on the saddle bags. Which brand of spray liner did you use?

I used a can of Rustolium truck bed liner spray purchased from the local Lowes improvement store. Taped the area I wanted to paint, sanded with 600 grit sandpaper, primed, and painted. Put about 5 coats of paint on them. I think they turned out real nice and plan on doing more parts during the winter months.

My experience with the less expensive type DIY bed-liner stuf you buy at Wal-Mart, Lowes or Home Depot seems to fade really fast when exposed to the sun. I was wondering if anyone that has used this approach has suffered any fading?

How much you may have spent on this technique I do not know. However, you could have purchased a rattle can of your bike color from Colorrite for $33.95. It may sound expensive and it is, but the result would probably look better than the bed-liner. See linky below:

Colorrite Paint

For those of you that may not know this, ColorRite is the only company that makes the colors for almost all motorcycles. Others may try to match, but it probably won't and will be very noticeable.

If you buy an after market trunk and want to paint it to match, the rattle can is the way to go. Although if you want it as nice and durable as the factory, you'll also need a rattle can of Clear-coat in a urethane from ColorRite also which is an additional $16.95.