• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Top quality HID kits for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
colorimetry5.jpg

Perhaps a reason to more strongly consider the 4300 K lamps.
Your chart is wavelength in nanometers not color temp.

It shows that as the temperature of the object increases, the peak shifts further to short wavelengths. But the phenomenon we call 'color' is another matter. Color does not exist as an objective property of nature.

Color is a perception we humans have because of the kinds of pigments used in our retinae. Our eyes do not sense light evenly across the visible spectrum but have a greater sensitivity for green light, and somewhat less so for red and blue light as the response spectrum below illustrates:

retina.jpg

The whole point is that the human eye is more responsive to light that is in the yellow-green spectrum, and less responsive to light in the blue spectrum. Filament light is about 3,200 K and though the lamp produces mostly red light, the eye's response makes you think that it produces mostly yellow light.

And here I thought I needed to go to school to learn something like this. Good info. :)

colorimetry5.jpg

Perhaps a reason to more strongly consider the 4300 K lamps.
Your chart is wavelength in nanometers not color temp.

It shows that as the temperature of the object increases, the peak shifts further to short wavelengths. But the phenomenon we call 'color' is another matter. Color does not exist as an objective property of nature.

Color is a perception we humans have because of the kinds of pigments used in our retinae. Our eyes do not sense light evenly across the visible spectrum but have a greater sensitivity for green light, and somewhat less so for red and blue light as the response spectrum below illustrates:

retina.jpg

Todd,

When you get some lumen values could you provide some ballast size dimensions & maybe some info on how you mounted your ballasts?

Ok. I've got 10 of you in the pipeline

I'm working on getting the harnesses shortened for those that requested it and the burn in complete. It takes about 2 hours per so I hope to be shipping late week.

I've told a few of you but to be sure everyone knows the deal - since the "goodness" and "correctness" of the beam pattern is so subjective (IMHO) and so difficult to photograph, I'm holding your PayPal funds until you receive these and try them out. If you don't like how they work, send 'em back and I'll refund minus PayPal fee and shipping so be gentle on them when you unpack and install!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again Todd,

IMHO, the "goodness" or "correctness" of the beam pattern can suffer a little for all those extra lumens I will have. :) I've been using HID's on all my cars for about 8 years now. In my books there is no better upgrade... but i'm sure a few here might argue that point... :)

Ok. I've got 5 of you in the pipeline:
I've told a few of you but to be sure everyone knows the deal - since the "goodness" and "correctness" of the beam pattern is so subjective (IMHO) and so difficult to photograph....

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE 1/15/09 First 10 sets should hit the post tomorrow or Monday latest. It took a bit longer than planned to sort out the software on the Fluke but burn in and harness work progresses at a good pace.

Sounds great Todd! Looking forward to my first foray into OEM replacement HIDs. Was starting to scout locations for the ballast last night. Looks like there is some good room on top of the headlight assembly, on either side. Like a 'shelf'. Hope they fit there.

Sounds great Todd! Looking forward to my first foray into OEM replacement HIDs. Was starting to scout locations for the ballast last night. Looks like there is some good room on top of the headlight assembly, on either side. Like a 'shelf'. Hope they fit there.
Should be plenty. Gen Is have plenty of room for these I believe.

Please see post #1 for an example of the current plot you'll get with the kit. This is off the Fluke multimeter and shows how the current settles after start up. This is a good (but not foolproof) indication of the bulb/ballast combo's health. Burning them in this way reduces DOA shipments.

Todd, these are questions of one not as familiar with bulb conversions so if too simplistic, sorry. How does the wiring connect up with the OEM wiring harness? Also, if one of these bulbs happens to go out, are there replacement bulbs available in local auto stores etc? How much disassembly is required to get it all put in and working? Thanks.

doctorj

Todd, these are questions of one not as familiar with bulb conversions so if too simplistic, sorry. How does the wiring connect up with the OEM wiring harness? Also, if one of these bulbs happens to go out, are there replacement bulbs available in local auto stores etc? How much disassembly is required to get it all put in and working? Thanks.
doctorj
Actually very good questions!

The wire harness connects to either one of the stock bulb plugs (3 prong jobs at the back of the OEM bulbs). The other bulb's connector is not used. This preserves the stock wiring in case you want to go back. The rest of the wires in the kit connect either to other wires in the kit or to the battery.

Replacement bulbs are available for under $40 if one of these fails after the warranty.

bmwhd - Wow, what a great offer this, Thanks for all your hard work.

A couple of ???

1. Is the ballast location pix you posted for Gen 1 or 2? Room enough in Gen2?
  2. If pix of Gen 1, I assume no room 'internally'. Could the ballasts mount on the back of my Solteks?
  3. If mounted on back of Solteks, what length of wiring would be needed? I like the idea of shorter wires, don't like coiled and bundled wires.
I'm very interested - just need to find out how to make this work.

Thanks again, you deserve a :yahoo: !

doctorj

The wire harness connects to either one of the stock bulb plugs (3 prong jobs at the back of the OEM bulbs). The other bulb's connector is not used. This preserves the stock wiring in case you want to go back. The rest of the wires in the kit connect either to other wires in the kit or to the battery.

Replacement bulbs are available for under $40 if one of these fails after the warranty.
Thanks for the answers. I usually keep an extra set of bulbs in my pannier with tools, compressor, rain gear etc. so just wondering if an extra HID bulb could be carried with bike as a spare. When you say available for under $40, I was hoping available nearby so not have to wait for one to come in the mail and several days wait time. So are same or similar bulbs sold other than internet so could get one quickly?

doctorj

doctorj

Thanks for the answers. I usually keep an extra set of bulbs in my pannier with tools, compressor, rain gear etc. so just wondering if an extra HID bulb could be carried with bike as a spare. When you say available for under $40, I was hoping available nearby so not have to wait for one to come in the mail and several days wait time. So are same or similar bulbs sold other than internet so could get one quickly?

doctorj
Well the nice thing is, you can still carry a spare standard H4 halogen bulb as you do now. Since the kit plugs into the standard wires, you'll always have the stock connector waiting there for the original bulb.

UPDATE - Showed up with the first batch at the post office today and realized it's MLK day. D'oh. They'll go out tomorrow.