• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Top quality HID kits for the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE - 1/20/2010

Thanks for all the interest and orders guys! I must admit I have been overwhelmed by the response and especially the interest in getting the leads shortened. Those that requested standard length wires should all be in the post by the time you read this. I need another day or two on the shortened sets because I want to get it right. Doing so means repeating the burn in current plot exercise on the Fluke to make sure my splices didn't degrade anything.

I appreciate your patience. I know how frustrating it is waiting for Frakles to arrive but I'm a bit of a perfectionist and wan to make sure you're happy.

Also - We've blown through the initial inventory of 5K bulbs in the H4 hi/low that are needed for the FJR. So two choices - I've got 6K on hand or you can wait a bit longer while for more 5K to arrive.

IMPORTANT - If you've already ordered, you're covered with current stock. It's only further orders that may need an extra week to fullfill.

FWIW, these particular 6K I have on hand are almost as 'sunlight' in actual color as the 5Ks. Nowhere near as 'blue' as some 6K bulbs I've seen. I even have trouble telling them apart side by side (trying to get a pic of that). Still, assuming most will want 5K, I'm trying to expidite more.

If you have not ordered but think you might in the next month (no commitment), please drop me a PM so I can size my next order to minimize my shipping costs

UPDATE - 1/21

The following have shipped via UPSP priority mail or international:

BobOdenweller

Ingacio

FJR Jc

SkooterG

cardingtr

dougc

squeezer

FJR-Don

zac

UPDATE - 1/21
The following have shipped via UPSP priority mail or international:

BobOdenweller

Ingacio

FJR Jc

SkooterG

cardingtr

dougc

squeezer

FJR-Don

zac
Hey one or two of you please do a pictoral installation :clapping: for the mechanically challenged peeps :dribble: on the forum (of course, that doesn't include me :rolleyes: ).

doctorj

There is a misconception about the amount of power that HID lights use. The bulbs may be rated at 35 watts but the ballasts draw around 4.5 amps or about the same as a typical 55 watt high beam bulb.

4.5 amps x 13 volts = 58 watts

You do get more light but in general don't save on power consumption from the bike's charging system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my kit in the mail and it was packed VERY well. BMWHD could win a USPS packaging competition! Different parts were in boxes and separately bubble wrapped. The burn-in sheet was a nice touch.

I setup my garage to document the swap that will come in a new thread. Remember, I already converted to HID low-beam in the forum group some years ago. I also burned out one of the bulbs and the existing one is on its last legs...so my comparo will be very different than somebody converting from standard halogen. If I get time I'll try and throw in a couple halogens for comparison.

A picture to show you what's to come. Taken from about eye level to the right of the bike. It's a single 4300K bulb on the low and two Hella FF200 flamethrower auxiliary lights.

MW226317b.JPG

There is a misconception about the amount of power that HID lights use. The bulbs may be rated at 35 watts but the ballasts draw around 4.5 amps or about the same as a typical 55 watt high beam bulb.
Actually, I think looking at the as-measured current draw in the first post....they're about 3.3 amps average....not 4.5.

That's what's listed on my burn-in sheets. At the 13 volt rate you suggest that would be 43 watts for the bulb and components....more than 35 watts but still far less than the standard rated halogen bulbs. People are going to see watt savings with this setup.

I installed my kit last night and OMG they light up the world... :coolsmiley: I did not take any pictures of the install because I did not think anybody would

want to tear down there bike as far as I did. I installed the ballast's on top of the headlights with double sided tape and all the wiring is nicely tucked up

behind the dash area, These ballast's are so small and thin if you spend the time you can have a very nice clean install.

Thanks Again Todd,

Let me know when you get a price put together for a single headlight bike.

You do get more light but in general don't save on power consumption from the bike's charging system.
Where did you get the 4.5 amp figure?

If it was the "ratings" from the device, that may just be the inrush current experienced during start-up. Firing up the Xenon lights requires a higher current than once they are lit. You do have to accommodate for that inrush current in your wiring and fuses, but it would not be the critical factor for continual power use. Due to losses in the ballast, I would expect the "running" power draw to be somewhere between 35W and the max rated draw on the package.

I installed my kit last night and OMG they light up the world... :coolsmiley: I did not take any pictures of the install because I did not think anybody would want to tear down there bike as far as I did. I installed the ballast's on top of the headlights with double sided tape and all the wiring is nicely tucked up

behind the dash area, These ballast's are so small and thin if you spend the time you can have a very nice clean install.
You are SO fired! We ALWAYS want photos!

I measured the current draw with an inductive ampmeter. Amps were around 5.2 starting, then settled at 4.4 amps after about 20 seconds.
OK, that must be the real deal then.

I would not have expected quite so high...

But if you measured it, and your measurements were reasonably accurate, then it is so.

I installed my kit last night and OMG they light up the world... :coolsmiley: I did not take any pictures of the install because I did not think anybody would want to tear down there bike as far as I did. I installed the ballast's on top of the headlights with double sided tape and all the wiring is nicely tucked up

Yep, we of the mechanically challenged set :dribble: and tupperwear removal challenged :rolleyes: need step by step install pics i.e. this is a screw driver, this is a dash panel etc. :yahoo: .

BTW, do you have to wait a bit to flip brights back on after dimming them or what? Just thought of that kinda like turning driving lights off and on too I suspect, but might be totally wrong (yes, it would be a first if I was wrong. :clapping: )

doctorj

Yep, we of the mechanically challenged set :dribble: and tupperwear removal challenged :rolleyes: need step by step install pics i.e. this is a screw driver, this is a dash panel etc. :yahoo: .

BTW, do you have to wait a bit to flip brights back on after dimming them or what? Just thought of that kinda like turning driving lights off and on too I suspect, but might be totally wrong (yes, it would be a first if I was wrong. :clapping: )

doctorj
Doc, Actually the bulb does not change brightness it moves in and out.... which changes were the bulb directs its light on the reflector. Thus giving you high and low.

"it moves in and out"

Now I am speechless, :blink: . I don't think I should even ask who makes it do this and why?

doctorj

Upon my return from Death Valley today, the kit was waiting for me.

Damn! There's an awful lot of wires there!

HIDkit2.jpg

I measured the current draw with an inductive ampmeter. Amps were around 5.2 starting, then settled at 4.4 amps after about 20 seconds.
OK, that must be the real deal then.

I would not have expected quite so high...

But if you measured it, and your measurements were reasonably accurate, then it is so.

I know it is bad form to quote one's self, but needed to to maintain continuity...

Looking closely at the HID current draw chart in post #1 shows 3.5 amps of run current after initial start-up. That would put the running power draw at ~45 watts. This is more like what I would expect from a 35W HID system.

I wonder why your ammeter was measuring a full amp higher?

The current drawn may not be sinusoidal therefore unless a true RMS measurement is made there is error in the results.

FWIW, I measured ~65 watts (didn't use my true RMS meter though) for a 55W HID bulb & ballast at 13.8VDC.