Topbox Owners - Usage?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
99% - I normally ride with only the top box and leave the side bags in the garage. My laptop lays flat in the Givi so it's prefect for commuting.

90% of the time I ride the FJR the topcase is on it. I even ride my CBR with a topcase on it. Looks a little goofy, but it makes it real handy to transport stuff to and from work.

OHFJR,

I ride with my Shad 48 100% of the time. It doesn't look real sexy, but it is practical. Substance over style I guess.

P1000731.jpg

I enjoy having all my safety and other gear on me at all times.

Rex

RLTW!!

BTW...the car in the driveway is my neighbors...so don't give me $h@t ! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Box about 20% of the time for me.

RangerK9: The two kids in the background of your picture are classic! That would be a good one for a caption contest.

JW

Top Box about 20% of the time for me.
RangerK9: The two kids in the background of your picture are classic! That would be a good one for a caption contest.

JW

jw...thanks. My son and daughter are crazy about "motowackles".

P1000730.jpg

Apologize...don't mean to hijack the thread.

Rex

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Rex, I have the Shad48. Used 10% of the time, but unlike Rex, I think the Shad has the best profile of all the boxes available. Period. End of story.

Know that this is off topic, but mine is 0% , due to still looking for a good place to purchase one. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

100%. So much easier to put the laptop in there than in the sidebags. Also much narrower when moving around traffic. Don't get to share lanes :angry: but sometimes get close during slow speed passes.

Givi Color matched V46 with Givi rack.

Use it ~30% of the time because that's how many times wifey (Joise) will accompany me. If she would ride with me all the time it would be 100% because she don't like to ride without the trunk and I don't need the space without the wife.

I'd see Glen at Sporttour.com as he has the best bomb-diggity prices on color matched Givi trunks in the universe (and he's not even a relative or nuthin') and they are muy less expensivo than the Yamamahah over priced boo-shite they call a trunk.

Oh, (just in case you couldn't tell) I really like my Givi.

Seriously, don't waste your money on nuthin' less. Been there. Dun that. Got the tee shirt receipts to prove it.

PS - Also, Ranger... those kids are cute as all get-out. Nice piccy. Thanks :lol:

100%, unless my golf clubs are strapped on in its place. My Givi V46 is part of my safety gear, as it contains the awesome Fred H. LED light kit. The more lights back there (and up high) the better.
How do you put golf clubs on your bike?

Mine stays on my bike about 95+% of the time. Now, I only use the bags for trips. Bought a retractable cable lock for my jacket & pants. Put a liscence plate helmet lock for 2 helmets. Both are nice, inexpensive farkles.

Givi V46 w/ color matched lid.

I use it probably 80% of the time. I put tools, compressor, other in the right saddlebag. I leave the left one empty to store my helmet. I put my jacket and all other valuables in the Givi whenever I stop for lunch, run errands, etc.

Givi 46 here. Thats where I heep my tire plug kit, mini air compressor, bungies, cargo net and other assorted essentials. It also holds my laptop nicely. Since 90% of my miles are put on going back and forth to work, the top box gets almost daily duty.

It also provides a little extra security and comfort for my infrequent passengers.

Its a great farkle that I thought I might have not really needed. Now I can't imagine not having it.

Gary at University Motors had the best deal going back when I bought my set-up.

Color matched Givi V46 from UMotors, 99% of the time. Originally bought it for a trip to EOM with intention of removing it after, liked the looks enough to leave it on all the time. Its so much easier to get in to and find stuff than side bags. I keep often used essentials in the Givi, less often used essentials (and other crap) in the side bags.

BTW, I think a bike with a top case and no side bags looks dumb, kinda like a convertible with the top down and the windows up. (No offense, Geez)

Gunny! Woof! +1 (Did I miss any?) 100% of the time.

I use the Givi V46 for my top box.

On daily commutes, the side bags hold my helmet and bike cover. The top box holds my pack with all my work stuff while rolling and my riding gear when I'm at the office.

How I pack for longer trips is still a work in progress.

Shelf space, shelf space and more shelf space. If you don't have a large enough shelf, build one.

Yami top box, most useable option I own. Backrest for the GF or kids. 90% on.

Comes off only after I arrive at the destination of a planned solo ride. When my topcase comes off that means watchout. When the preload also gets switched to HARD, that means don't attempt to follow because Jeff's being stupid again!

Since I ride the bike around the region for work about 11.x months per year, my laptop and dress shoes live there constantly.

When off the bike, it sits on the hotel luggage rack or if at home during bike service, it sits on the garage entrance rug.

I seem to have replaced the bags with the top box for commuter use because it's narrower and easier to slip into tight parking/garage.

So I'd say: Top box - 90%, Bags - 20%, Bare - <5%.

50% or less. I have a yamaha cover and top box and store it on the bike covered. When I ride the local twisties I leave the top box on behind on top of a locker. I still have the cardboard box but have been thinking of getting rid of it for more shelf space. Usually take it (with the side bags) if riding 2 up or if I forsee the need to carry purchases or store riding gear. Becomes a necessity for overnighters/touring. Side bags are always on although I have been meaning to try a local high speed bagless run. :ph34r: