Torque Wrenches

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddyman

Reaction score
Greetings all,

OK, I would like to be able to do some minor maintenance to my FJR when needed--oil changes mostly--and am interested in picking up a torque wrench to do the work correctly.

I did not find anything using the search function, so...

What is a good, relatively inexpensive wrench?

Thanks!

:)

I've got the old standard needle type from Schucks for $20+. Not great for the small torque jobs but for the big jobs it's efficient and inexpensive. Besides, it won't become incorrectly calibrated and isn't nearly as complicated as the adjustable wrenches (Know one guy who sheared of a bolt with one of those before discovering that it had broken).

It's tried & true & inexpensive. Can be easily recalibrated & had it for years: Craftsman Torque Wrench
My Motto: Keep It Simple Stupid
Only trouble with mine is that the numbers ore only printed on one side of the scale. When I have it upside down for, say, torquing the drain plug, I have to put a piece of masking tape where the (approximately) correct torque value should be. Would it have been that much more costly to have put numbers on both sides of the scale? Bother. WBill

I would recommended the rachet type, Crafstman is good. The needle one is very easy to decalibrate and I find that they are easier to break considering that you have a needle to take care of.

But this is my opinion, based on the fact that I work in a repair & calibration lab. and doing this everyday. :rolleyes:

If you used the retchet type, make sure that you deload the spring after use, and you will keep your tool in a good working condition for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings all,
OK, I would like to be able to do some minor maintenance to my FJR when needed--oil changes mostly--and am interested in picking up a torque wrench to do the work correctly.

I did not find anything using the search function, so...

What is a good, relatively inexpensive wrench?

Thanks!

:)
PRE-C2FR100F - 3/8 Flex 20-100 Tq Wrench @ $124.00

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/torque-wrench/ has a review on the different types of torque wrenchs. I got the precison PRE-C2FR100F - 3/8 Flex 20-100 Tq Wrench @ $124.00 at toolrage.com. You can go to www.torqwrench.com and they expain the different types of torque wrenchs that precision make. Good luck.