Totaled the zx 14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builderwill

Reaction score
After owning her for a mere 5 months and about 2,000 miles, I managed to total out my 09 zx14 SE. All my fault came- in too hot on a right hander with a front tire worn past the wear bars. I was too deep into the turn to brake so I just leaned over more and tried to ride her out. Not sure if road debris helped but eventually ran out of tire and lowsided. Bike and I slid about 75 feet or so down the asphalt road then proceeded to snap off a road sign, uproot a cedar tree and rearrange a barbwire fence.

I wound up spending a week in hospital with 3 days in the ICU. I came in with a lot of trauma and internal bleeding to my chest and lungs. I had 5 broken ribs that required surgery, a few drain tubes here and there, and a lot of pain, but nothing permanent or disabling. Accident was 3 weeks ago and Doc says in another 3 to 4 weeks I'll be good to go. Luckily I was wearing leathers and only ended up with about a 3 inch patch of minor road rash. All in all I was extemely lucky with my injuries and the fact I was riding with others who was able to keep me calm, with one buddy being a retired EMT.

The bike did not fare as well as I did:

IMG_0267_zpsce7489ee.jpg

IMG_0270_zps53f7ea5e.jpg

One bright spot was that my insurance totaled the bike and offered a settlement that is more than enough to replace the bike.

Beleve it or not I'm looking at this as a positive experience. I've been riding for 27 years and the last 5 or so, more and more aggressively. This incident was serious enough for me to quit using public roads as my own personal MotoGP track but still allow me to ride again. Just wish I could have learned this lesson without putting my wife and family through all the pain and suffering.

Lastly, it bites I have to miss the ramble but I should be all ready for Hooterville! Oh, and I also got a new signature line thanks to Shomemo.

Looking at that front tire I can see that you do believe in getting the very last mile out of your tires!

Wishing you quick healing and good meds.

IMG_0267_zpsce7489ee.jpg

Looking at that front tire I can see that you do believe in getting the very last mile out of your tires!
Wishing you quick healing and good meds.
Yeah, it looked fine that morning but at our last stop I noiced it had worn considerably thru the day, especially on the right side. I told myself to slow down for the last leg, but I didn't listen to myself very well.

Ouch !!! It took me a long time to find out that there is a difference in racing slicks and slicks.....
uhoh.gif
Heal Fast
angel.gif

Bummer, this looks like a lesson learned the first time! Sounds like your doing a good self evaluation. Heal well, we all make mistakes and don't be to hard on yourself!

I've been riding for 27 years and the last 5 or so, more and more aggressively. This incident was serious enough for me to quit using public roads as my own personal MotoGP track but still allow me to ride again. Just wish I could have learned this lesson without putting my wife and family through all the pain and suffering
Really glad that your lesson wasn't more serious and that you're still here to tell the tale... live and learn... don't do it again... find a new way to love the ride. :)

Holy shit...That sucked. Sorry about your bike, but very glad the get off wasn't worse for you physically and mentally. You put out a good reminder to keep it sane on public roads. Thanks for that!!

Glad you're around to tell about it.

So many things that lead to it and could have been avoided. Tires, over cooking on public roads, etc.

It puts my guts in knots when I heard about wrecks like this.

Get well soon. Be the old wise rider and not the live fast, die hard kind.

My compliments on the honest evaluation. This is all too rare nowadays. I am very sorry for the loss of such a nice bike and even more sorry for the pain you are still going through. I wish you a good and pain free recovery and look forward to hearing good things about a replacement bike.

Glad you are still with us and on the way to a good recovery. Like many of us I'm thinking "There but for the grace of God go I" - a good reminder to stay within limits of conditions, roads, equipment and skill.

What Redfish said about the honest review. We can all benefit from an occasional sobering reminder, and this was one. Wish you a good recovery.

And are you sure the bike's totaled? That left exhaust can doesn't look too bad.
rolleyes.gif

Broken ribs love to remind you of the error of your ways. Hang in there. It takes a while but it'll pass.