Touch Up Paint for 06 Cobalt Blue FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninepeaks

Reaction score
I had good long ride yesterday on Virginia and West Virginia mountain roads - 9hrs with a lunch break in between and 450 miles total. Nice twisties in WV especially! At lower altitudes, it registed up to 100 degrees but I was comfortable in my Fieldshear mesh jacket and pants. In the mountain twisties, it was 10 - 15 degrees cooler.

Only thing that spoiled the otherwise perfect ride was that I dropped the bike. I guess it could have been worse. My Harley fellow rider went down in front of me, sending his bike crossing the lane in front of me to the oncoming lane and lodging it in the guard rail. To avoid hitting the bike, I swerved the bike and stopped but because of severe transverse slope of the sharp turing lane, I couldn't hold the bike upright; the pavement was too far below my left foot to hold the weight of the bike upright. So, I went down.

I checked on the fellow rider and he was perfectly fine. When he went off the curve onto gravelled shoulder, he did have sometime to slow the bike before he ditched it.

Now, I have some scuffs and scratches on left mirror case, left side bag, stator cover (I think) and nicely scraped up frame slider. If it weren't for the slider, I'm probably looking at a lot costlier damage.

Now, I need to get some touch up paint for the scratches to the mirror case and sidebag and think about whether I want to repaint them later on. Any advice on where I can get some touch up paint or whether anyone has done some part repainting successfully?

Would appreciate any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have repainted many lids. Colorrite is the best source for factory-matched paint, but even they aren't perfect. For instance, I have found that the '05 blue that Colorrite sells is too blue and needs to be tweaked with purple toner for a better factory color match. From my experience, if the scratches are any worse than tiny, you probably won't be happy with the touchup products sold by them, and BTW, they are very expensive - I buy it by the quart for $200. The lid and mirror probably should be repainted completely.

I have repainted many lids. Colorrite is the best source for factory-matched paint, but even they aren't perfect. For instance, I have found that the '05 blue that Colorrite sells is too blue and needs to be tweaked with purple toner for a better factory color match. From my experience, if the scratches are any worse than tiny, you probably won't be happy with the touchup products sold by them, and BTW, they are very expensive - I buy it by the quart for $200. The lid and mirror probably should be repainted completely.
Thanks for the advice. Somehow, I knew the solution wasn't going to be simple or cheap.

I wonder if there're sidebag covers designed to prevent scratches for FJR. I know they do have them for ST1300's.

I try my best and won't ship stuff until it's good enough to fit on my bike. I normally charge $80 + S for lightly rashed lids, a bit more if really gnarly. Mirrors are $25.

NinePeaks, you have some very longstanding, hi-post peeps recommending Garuld. Come to think of it, add me to the list, the guy knows his stuff.

I try my best and won't ship stuff until it's good enough to fit on mny bike. I normally charge $80 + S for lightly rashed lids, a bit more if really gnarly. Mirrors are $25.
Sounds good Gary. I'd say mine are on the light side but many. I have travel plans in mid-July but will be able to send them to you right after that. I'll contact you again then. Thanks. Mark

" Perfect" match for the statorcover is Duplicolor #8800564 Dark Grey [M] CC. Lightly sand the scratches smooth, mask the area and mist on a few light coats-forget the clear coat. I did the same with the mirror using "close match" Duplicolor #DSFM340 Royal Blue CC. With practice you can blend the paint with medium rubbing compound followed by mild compound. You must let the paint harden for a few days [week] before rubbing. My used '06 had scratches on the mirror, stator, left cowl, chin fairing and side bag when I got it and I'll bet you can't find them! I would not attempt to repair scratches in a highly visible area like the tank this way but rather repaint the whole panel with colorite.

" Perfect" match for the statorcover is Duplicolor #8800564 Dark Grey [M] CC. Lightly sand the scratches smooth, mask the area and mist on a few light coats-forget the clear coat. I did the same with the mirror using "close match" Duplicolor #DSFM340 Royal Blue CC. With practice you can blend the paint with medium rubbing compound followed by mild compound. You must let the paint harden for a few days [week] before rubbing. My used '06 had scratches on the mirror, stator, left cowl, chin fairing and side bag when I got it and I'll bet you can't find them! I would not attempt to repair scratches in a highly visible area like the tank this way but rather repaint the whole panel with colorite.
Thanks for the advice on the stator cover! Been wondering what I should do about that too.