Tour Master Transition Jacket

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TruWrecks

Still chewing thru the Restraints
Reaction score
I've been looking really good at the Tour Master Transition. I want a jacket that works well for commuting and weather. The Transition seems to be the best fit for the needs. I've looked at others, and I keep coming back to the transition jacket.

I would like to know who is using one, and how do you like it?

I'm not really looking for other suggestions at the moment. I already did a search and found a few people that have one, but not much for opinions on it.

I have other gear to wear if I'm sport riding. This will be part of a 2-piece commuting outfit.

Thanks.

My wife and I both have these jackets. I would say they are a pretty good value for the $$$. Having said that, they really need to improve the zippers and the snaps. I've had to replace a snap on my jacket and one on the pants within a month of purchasing and the main zipper on my jacket isn't as smooth as I would like. The jacket and pants both came with an extra snap in the pocket, so not a huge deal. Wife's jacket is holding up well, but it doesn't see as much use as mine.

I've ridden in 50-95 deg weather without the liner, though it gets a bit warm above 85 deg. I'm pretty sure it would be comfortable down into the 30's with the liner zipped in, but I haven't had a chance to test below 50 yet. Good wind protection with the vents closed, and decent airflow with them open. It's not completely waterproof in a heavy downpour, but did pretty well in lighter rain. I really like the 3/4 length for the extra protection from the elements.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if price is high on your list. This jacket does everything I need it to do. You do get what you pay for in terms of quality.

David

I really like mine. In Florida, I ride with it on more than off as my arms get sunburned and hot when not on. As long as I'm moving it does a good job keeping me cool (in 95 degree heat). In a light rain without the liner it kept my arms fairly dry. Not needed the liner yet, hopefully some day!

Good luck finding one. They've been out of stock for some time. Tourmaster sent me an email saying they hope to have some inventory late June. I think they are having manufacturing issues because no one has an inventory in the US. Some odd sizes are out there, but not most.

I have the Transition and its been a great jacket ..28* to about 70* after that I get warm so I found a Flex on ebay for $100. I wear a Lg except for the flex. I have gone to the M since I will only use it above 70* and don't need the liner. The Yamaha dealer in Reno Nv. has lg and M Flex jackets in stock...for $189.00

Cary

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the Transition jacket to be the best jacket I only marginally like. :huh:

It is aptly named.... the jacket is excellent for Spring and Fall riding, but the damn thing is too heavy/hot during summer, but it's not really heavy enough for serious cold work either.

Perhaps if one lived in moderate climates, this would be an excellent all-year jacket.

It does have some noteworthy venting, and I have actually used it during some BBGHW training runs these last few weeks when it was 80+ degrees. The jacket is better suited on the FJR than the XX... it tends to "balloon up" around the neck/chest area at high speeds. It's a lot "calmer" behind the FJR's windscreen.

I haven't had much issue with snaps, zippers, or velcro quality. I have managed to wear a hole in the fabric near the neckline (of all places! :blink: )

Bottom line: it's a helluva bargain at only $134, but it's not without a few irritating aspects about it. Would I buy one again? Actually, at only $134... I might. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Transition jacket looks very nice.
Another option you might want to consider which is a little more "Flexible" (and work) is the TourMaster Flex jacket. I have one and I love it!

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item....&Division=1

Best Regards,

Shane

For what it's worth - My son bought one of these (Flex Jacket) and loves it.

I have a Joe Rocket and will not buy that brand again until the quality comes back - it's been lacking these last few years.

I've been looking really good at the Tour Master Transition. I want a jacket that works well for commuting and weather. The Transition seems to be the best fit for the needs. I've looked at others, and I keep coming back to the transition jacket.
I would like to know who is using one, and how do you like it?

I'm not really looking for other suggestions at the moment. I already did a search and found a few people that have one, but not much for opinions on it.

I have other gear to wear if I'm sport riding. This will be part of a 2-piece commuting outfit.

Thanks.
I thought serriously about the Transition Jacket for Orygun riding but after trying it on decided that the 3/4 length style was too long for my 5'7" frame. I purchased instead the Tourmaster Intake Jacket which is a newer design. It is a heavy mesh flow thru design with a zip out waterproof liner as well as a zip out cold weather liner. With both liners in I was more than comfortable riding 101 on the Orygun Coast in 45 degree weather with a 20mph wind a couple of weeks ago. As I headed home to Portland, temp went up, wind died down and I was too warm. Stopped, zipped out both liners and just smiled all the way home with all that air flowing thru and around my arms and body. As to some concerns about the zippers not being heavy enough, I've learned you need to pull outward on the zip tab as you move the zip up or down to insure you do not trap underlying material from all of the little folds they have designed to cover up the zippers. A ton of features for a small price and I'm extremely pleased with the Intake flow thru mesh and many comfort adjustments and features.

27Man

I just bought mine today, 130 miles home on the interstate. Wanted a Flex, but after wearing both(only for a few hours mind you), I like the Transition. We(wife and I were both gettin Flexs' a couple weeks ago, and they had the ladies in silver, she got hers, but no men's even close. Wasn't gettin nothin black.Some say(Whitehorse) Sept before they get the Flex. Anyway, do yourself a favor and put em both on. I really don't like the collar area on the Flex, plus the rain liner is going to take a eternity to put on(or in, should I say) if something comes up in a hurry. I could feel good air going thru it, although I was runnin full down on the stock shield.

I just bought mine today, 130 miles home on the interstate. Wanted a Flex, but after wearing both(only for a few hours mind you), I like the Transition. We(wife and I were both gettin Flexs' a couple weeks ago, and they had the ladies in silver, she got hers, but no men's even close. Wasn't gettin nothin black.Some say(Whitehorse) Sept before they get the Flex. Anyway, do yourself a favor and put em both on. I really don't like the collar area on the Flex, plus the rain liner is going to take a eternity to put on(or in, should I say) if something comes up in a hurry. I could feel good air going thru it, although I was runnin full down on the stock shield.
??? You found a Transition on the rack?! What size and where and do they have any more?

I've had a Transition for 2 years now and have gotten great service out of it. I've ridden in 30+ degree weather and into the warmer part of spring. I had one snap failure (easy fix). For summer, I've gone to the flex jacket. For the $ I don't think you'll beat the Transition.

-Greg-

Well, WTF? Now the Flex jacket is NA? Me thinks Tourmaster is about to crash and burn. The Flex has been yanked from their website, too. Sumpin's fishy.

Well, WTF? Now the Flex jacket is NA? Me thinks Tourmaster is about to crash and burn. The Flex has been yanked from their website, too. Sumpin's fishy.
It may not have sold well. The Flex jacket isn't for everyone. When I first read about it, I though finally one jacket for all seasons and I ordered one.

When I got it and realized how long it seemed to take it apart / put it back together, I though oh well I will see.

Any how, I have used it from 35 to 100+ and it works great for me.

I do wish the outer layer that comes off could go on faster (lots of zippers), but then it probably wouldn't stay on.

It is neat the way the Transition jacket has the zippered vents, but I am afraid it would still be too HOT down here in Texas during the summer. The Flex jacket on the other hand becomes a very comfortable Mesh jacket with the outside panels off!

Best Regards,

Shane

I bought the Transition after trying all brands of jacketson for fit and personal inspeption of quality. For the price it is an excellent choice. I live in the bay area of San Francisco and it will probably work the three seasons around here but is truly not a full winter jacket here or elsewhere. It vents well but is on the heavier side.

They have them in stock at Road Rider in San Jose. I just also replaced my mesh with a Tourmaster Intake jacket It has a waterproof liner and quilted liner. Worked really great on the Strom gathering in Reno. The only thing is that the two liners zip into each other so its a double dose of hooking up all the connections. Also around $135.

At the Strom gathering, one of the vendors had an open house and Olympia gear was really nice. I would consider looking at this line of gear.

Mike in Fremont, Ca.

Went for a ride today with the Flex..temps were from a low of 73 to 89. :yahoo: Awesome!!! Anything over 5mph windshield up or down I was in comfort! Jackets very light and doesn't hang heavy like the Transition does, so the Flex will now be worn anytime the temps are over 65-70.

cary

I have both the Transition and the Intake. I don't think you can beat Tourmaster in bang for the buck. The Transition has been great into the upper 30's -- haven't tried it lower yet. Comfy jacket, looks good, plenty of pockets, haven't had snap or zipper issues yet (but ask me again in a year or so). I don't think it's a very good summer jacket, though. By the time it gets near 80, I get a bit toasty behind the Vstream in it. The Intake is to get me across the midwest during summer.