Touratech Mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have a Touratech yet and would like to know if a 065-0066 would mount to a flat surface like a shelf.

I've seen the Touratechs on other folk's bikes and liked the design. Now that I have the 2610 and it's pretty clear that i probably can't remove the circular base mount/tilt assembly (OEM) and replace it with a pad of velcro like i did on the SP1. A little extra security when walking away from the bike is also good.

Model of GPS aside, has anyone used a Touratech mount on a shelf style setup? Most of the discussions at the vendor site(s) are about RAM or bar mounts. I'd like to bolt the base plate of a Touratech to the FJRGoodies shelf already in place. It has line-of-site and avoids the movement-with-the-bars that other mounts have. That I have the shelf and could avoid having to buy another stationary mount like a StemStand is also a consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I chose the stem stand install and it has been great. The position is ideal and doesn't block anything. I got an adapter kit that came with rubber grommets to help reduce any vibration. The Garmin cradle allows for quick on and off of the GPS and has a neat little safety screw that you can use as an anti-theft deterrent. I use the safety screw for short times away from the bike like a restaurant or gas station. Obviously it gets completely removed for overnight stays.

IMGP0025.jpg

IMGP0026.jpg

IMGP0082.jpg

adapter kit

Garmin cradle

how about a shot from the back/underneath so we can see the actual interface between the gps and the stem stand?

thanks for the other photos.

Model of GPS aside, has anyone used a Touratech mount on a shelf style setup? Most of the discussions at the vendor site(s) are about RAM or bar mounts. I'd like to bolt the base plate of a Touratech to the FJRGoodies shelf already in place. It has line-of-site and avoids the movement-with-the-bars that other mounts have. That I have the shelf and could avoid having to buy another stationary mount like a StemStand is also a consideration.
As a person that started with an FJRGoodies shelf, migrated to a RAM mount, and going to a stem stand now....I can strongly suggest that an FJRGoodies shelf is gonna move a bunch when saddle with the heft of a 2610. Yeah, it will work, but it's gonna flex a bunch. The shelf isn't that rigid.

Thanks. I've been running the original SP there since the bike was new without a problem. The 2610 is lighter. I don't see how the Touratech will mount to a flat surface with the bottom nylock nuts, etc. down there. I already dislike the restrictions when swinging my tank bag forward to refuel. A StemStand would only make it worse. I had the SP1 on a bar-location when I had the Wing and loved the change when I moved it to the shelf.

Puzzling issues to try and balance. Perhaps fab a plate and pop rivet it to the shelf that allows for the Touratech? Something that overlaps enough for strength, holes drilled for relief of the base plate bolts, and just enough of an extension to give clearance between the top of the Touratech and the windshield?

My brain's starting to smoke.

Maybe some kind of plae with a tower (similar in size and diameter to the touratech swivel/hinge).

The plate (2"-3") would distribute the load on the shelf and the tower would raise the mount enough that the bolts/nuts through the rubber buttons wouldn't hit the shelf. You would also have to engineer it so that everything clears the windshield.

Ahhhh, designing farkles..oh the joy.. :blink:

Bounce,

How about removing the lower plate of the touratech, use that for a drill template on your shelf, then mount the TT to the shelf. Basically replacing the bottom piece of the TT mount with the shelf. Nylocks and maybe some larger washers on the bottom. Think it would be to tall? If so, maybe you could reduce the hgt. of the rubber shocks. to help lower the unit. Good luck and be sure to take pics!

I already dislike the restrictions when swinging my tank bag forward to refuel. A StemStand would only make it worse.
Bounce, I have a Garmin 2720 sitting atop a stem stand and locking Touratech mount. I also have a Cortech mini-magnetic tank bag. When refueling, I just lift the tank bag, move it toward the right fairing to clear the gas cap, and let it hold on to the side of the tank. Not much of a problem. I agree w/ you about pushing the bag forward w/ all that hardware there during refueling. That would be a PITA.

This is what I got Bounce. Pretty secure and obviously lockable.
P1050196Medium.jpg

P1050194Medium.jpg

P1050191Medium.jpg

bd
Thanks for the info & pix. I like what I see. Specifically what did you install - model, etc. (I'm technically challenged but a pretty good copy cat) Does the position of the GPS interfer with your view of the speedometer or crowd your hand when you insert or turn the ignition key?

This weekend will be where I start buttoning things up.

The FJRGoodies shelf came back from being powder coated (satin black). SWEET!

I'm swapping batteries, re-running my ground block back to the - battery terminal to minimize noise from the stator r/r shunt to chassis ground, test fitting the Touratech locking mount, etc.

I suspect (without testing yet) that I may have to fab up an extender plate to mount the TT on the shelf so that it won't interfere with the windshield when it's all the way down. I'll know more as I get the time.

I'll try to take some usable photos while doing the work.

a thanks to all the tips and tricks everyone posted. i appreciate it.
I went inexpensive at Touratech and it works great. U clamp next to clutch for ball mount. I have Garmin Nuvi350. Here is link.

https://touratech-usa.com/shop/navigation.l...9131AFC12EE28AB

RAM Handlebar Mount without Cradle, Short Arm

Part Number: GRBSH $38.00 Add this

to my Cart View

Cart

Brief Description:

This Ram Handlebar Mount is most useful for mounting a Touratech GPS Mount on your handlebars. The diamond base is easy to adapt to any number of accessories. This kit includes a diamond base with mounting ball, a short arm and the u-bolt handlebar mount adapter.

Please see the .....FULL description

Availability: In Stock

Tourtech also makes a handlebar mounting version which I use on the Wee Strom. To switch the 2730 between the Strom and the FJR, Tourtech makes a quick exchange plate. Very cool and inexpensive. I like the product and it makes switching the unit just a push of a button.

Just installed an NLine shelf on my 08. I have a Garmin Zumo. I'm thinking of hard mounting this:

01-040-0653-01.jpg

and then this:

01-065-0151-01-lg.jpg

Looks like there should be enough space....? Anyone have a locking mount on a shelf ?

Just installed an NLine shelf on my 08. I have a Garmin Zumo. I'm thinking of hard mounting this:
01-040-0653-01.jpg

and then this:

01-065-0151-01-lg.jpg

Looks like there should be enough space....? Anyone have a locking mount on a shelf ?

I don't have a lock on my Zumo and it appears that all that hardware is somewhat heavy :unsure:

The shelf is sturdy but you'll find that it bounces (along with the rest of the front end) when traversing rough surfaces.

As far as space, I had to mount mine out, away from the shelf in order to clear the windscreen when fully retracted. Again the weight when cantilevered may increase the bounce.

Good luck.