touring boots

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Oxtar (TCX) Air Tech and like them. For me the biggest problem with a boot is perspiration, especially in the cold. Wet feet are cold feet. With wool socs the Air Techs are comfortable down to 30F. The Air Tech let enough air through to keep the dampness suppressed. They say these things are good in the rain, but in 50k haven't had the experience. Doesn't rain on the desert.

Santa brought me some new Tourmaster WP Solution boots. Been wearing them around the house today. Make me look like Santa. :rolleyes:

I have a 5 year old pair of Oxtaratrix that I have worn out over 50,000 miles of riding. Love them, but no longer available. The Tourmasters seem very similar. I'll let you know in a few years how they hold up.

Merry Christmas!

I had Daytonas, they were good boots but when they wore out I got a pair of Sidi On Roads, for me they were superior. As said before, waterproof, more comfortable, cooler and a little taller. I vote for the Sidis.

DC

I've been wearing some Teknic Violators for the last 2 years I got on closeout from New Enough. Waterproof in a big way, but they're uncomfortable and squeak to walk in, the zipper has eaten much of the waterproof liner surrounding it, the zipper pull tabs have broken off both boots and now the velcro is becoming de-stitched from both boots on the main flap.

I didn't expect much from these boots given the price (about $100) but considering I've put close to 60,000km on them, I guess I can't complain much.

Bought my self a pair of Sidi Strada Rain boots on closeout from New Enough for Xmas. They're at the post office, but they're closed until Wed.

I use TCX, Jupiter 2, low rise gore-tex boots. They are the MOST comfortable boots I've ever owned. More comfortable than any shoe I've ever owned. They are warm, give good support and are water, rain repellant. TCX says that the footbed is replaceable too. The only problem is, if you're hung up about "looking" like you're wearing motorcycle boots, these won't do it for you. You probably need to go with the Infinity model. The Jupiters look like a plain low rise boot, but give great ankle/foot support and are darn comfortable to wear!

I've had a pair of these for over 10 years:

https://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/motorcycle_ClubRoad.jsp

They are still waterproof, extremely comfortable and extremely well made.

Check out the Altberg website - they make boots for all occasions! Even made-to-measure (though you have to go to Yorkshire for a fitting....)

Maybe not for the fashion conscious, though...

Cheers.

Well, you asked for boot opinions.....here ya go;

Had (still have) a pair of Sidi On Roads, and they were fantastic in regards to comfort, quality, durability, and waterproofness (is that a word?). Wore them for years, and even stood in about 4 inches of standing water at RoadAmerica, watching the Superbike races. NEVER got my feet wet, riding or standing. I was and still am impressed with Sidi quality. My wife has a pair of Sidi Vertebrae race boots, and loves them.

That said, the lack of armor scared me. There's not much meat around an ankle joint to dampen a severe impact. I did a couple of track days, then ordered a pair of Daytona Evo Sport boots (paid the extra $50 for the GoreTex lining). They are comfortable on the bike, but you wouldn't want to go on an extended hike in them. I'm very happy with the protection, and they have been as waterproof as my Sidi Roads, to boot (pun intended). They've been extremely durable, and the soles hardly look broken in. I've ridden in them for 6 or 7 seasons now, and they still look and feel great.....no leaks, no stitches going bad. One asset I like, is that I can buy replacement covers for them, although they're fairly expensive. For those that are unfamiliar with them, these are 2-piece boots; an inner structural "boot" with hinged ankle joint, and an outer leather "cover".

There seem to be quite a few high-quality choices out there, so select one with the features you want, at what you consider to be a reasonable price, and you'll be happy. D'uh, what an obvious statement. Let us know what you end up with!

Boots.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sidi, Accept no substitutes! https://www.sidisport.com/ You do speak Italiano, don't you!

My Sidi's are Aerostich Combat Lites, currently $277 at www.aerostich.com 11" tall and 2.42 lbs. per boot; mine have cleated soles, you can also get wedge soles.

https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-combat-lite-boots.html

I bought my Sidi's used from Fred W here on our FJR Forum and in 31,000 miles from Canada to Mexico they have held up perfectly; still are in great riding shape.

I am using the Alpinestars 2011 Roam Boots.

These are incredibly comfortable from the moment you put them on. I feel I can wear them all day and walk a mile in them with no problems.

One caveat however, is that the top 4" of the boot is not waterproof. This portion is covered by the riding pants so it really shouldn't be an issue..but it is something to think about I guess..

Jeff0910-14.jpg

Jeff0910-18.jpg

Before this I was using the Teknic Defenders.

They lasted me for about 4 years and 40K miles and I would even hike in them (short hikes) on my touring trips. I replaced them because the sole is now torn to shreds and the waterproof gusset between the velcro closures has holes in them and the stitching is coming apart at the seams. However for the ~$100 I spent for the Teknic Defenders and the 4 years of hard use I got out of them - they were a terrific buy.

I didn't however re-purchase the Defenders because they have now switched to a zippered design (I hate zippered boots) and I wanted another velcro closure boot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alpinestar Ridge waterproof boot here. Very comfortable lightweight boot with a relatively low-rise but good ankle protection. I could walk any distance in these, they have been very waterproof and they pack easily. The only downside is they are warm when riding hot weather.

318mLy-OX9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg