Tourmaster Defender rain gear question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
I bought a Tourmaster Defender rain suit only to discover on my trip to Barber Motorsports Park in June that it was too big. The issue: The neck for the "large" is too big on me -- the rain came right down my neck and gave my chest a good soaking. I'm 5'8" and about 180. I wear a medium shirt with a 15 1/2" neck. The Defender's velcro would close the neck opening down to maybe 17 inches at best. It left the neck real loose and it just wouldn't work for me. I had to sell it here on the forum a couple weeks ago. Now I'm looking at their medium. Anybody out there help me by confirming that this one should fit? The pants were big of course, so the medium pants should be a better fit... but it's the neck I'm concerned about. When it's really hot in the summer, I have no intention of wearing it over another jacket.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Mike.

Yeah, I thought about that. Problem is, the entire neck is too big. I coulda cinched it down better with a different placement of that velcro, but the zipper woulda been all pinched up and I'd just be inviting leakage. Truth is, the thing was like a bag on me. They make them to fit OVER a MC jacket, apparently. That explains the bulk. Anyway, I wear a jacket when I'm cold, not when it's sweltering. Just wondering if someone out there could give me some feedback on the neck size of the Medium. One thing's for sure, the guys who sell 'em don't have a clue, at least not the ones I've asked. Their answer: "there's no way we can measure them." Guess they don't know how to use a tape measure or simply try them on for size themselves. WHATEVER.

Thanks anyway.

Gary

darksider #44

A sad note:

Pretty soon this subject will drift off to the back burner of the forum and never be read again. Whatever. But this was the first time since I became a member of the forum that I couldn't get an answer. Maybe that's something to celebrate, but I'm feeling kinda sad about that. I'd hoped someone out there might know something about the general size of the neck on this rainsuit. So what's the deal? Nobody knows? Nobody wears them? Nobody wears that size? Everybody busy ridin' and nobody's readin' the forum any more? Again, whatever...

--I decided to buy one from the local Yammie shop, who did what they could to match the pricing I found online. They'll gladly send it back if it doesn't fit. So there's my answer. Soon enough, I'll know exactly what size the neck of the medium size Tourmaster Defender rainsuit... is

Gary

darksider #44

Sorry Gary, woulda helped if I could but like a lot of forum guys I guess, I just don't have the experience with the said rain gear.

Hope it finally works out for ya.

I wear a Defender, but I never had an issue with the neck leaking. I didn't respond because I'm not anywhere near your size.

Strictly speaking, it's you who is not anywhere near my size. 6', 2x0 (where x>5) and 17-1/2" neck.

I like the suit, have NEVER been wet in it, but I had nothing to offer about your situation. The suit is sized to go over gear, but I find the pants a hassle. Not their fault, I'm just not flexible enough to lift a booted geared leg to get it into the rain pants easily. Beats sitting on a wet butt, though!

I finally got another Defender. I ended up with a small. It fits me perfectly, though it won't go over a motorcycle jacket. The neck seems like it will fit a 14 1/2 up to a 16 or so. I wear a 15 1/2 x 35 (medium) in a long sleeve shirt and I'm 5'8" and 180... That should give somebody out there a frame of reference for the neck size of this rain gear. Judging by the diff in size between the large and the small, I'm guessing I could wear a medium as well, but I like the small as I don't like having a really baggy rain jacket... hate the way it billows in the wind.

Gary

darksider #44

I finally got another Defender. I ended up with a small. It fits me perfectly, though it won't go over a motorcycle jacket.

Gary

darksider #44
Too bad it won't fit over a cycle jacket as a rain suit doesn't offer much protection other than from rain or wind.

I was just thinking he should go with the medium, then, to put it over the jacket. I can't imagine riding with rain suit only. (Not trying to start an ATGATT argument.....)

The defender is sized to fit over a regular motorcycle jacket, in my opinion. That's the reason it's so baggy. That's got to be the reason that the neck on the large is sized to fit something like 17 up to maybe 20 inches. My concern in all this was... what is the range of the neck size for these jackets?? I contacted two online retailers that sold these rainsuits. Those who sold them over the internet could not help me. Now I know and now the forum knows.

Gary

darksider #44

Being able to try them on in-person before buying is always good, but not always possible.

I've had good luck(?) contacting the manufacturer's customer service for fitment questions.

Also, one online retailer, https://www.motorcyclegear.com/ , has been great to deal with, especially to contact their customer service people to get answers in regards to sizing.

They even offer where if you're not sure on which size will work, order both, try them, and send the one back that isn't correct.